Adding a Tuner Stompbox to FM9 Rig

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
There are many of us who like to connect outboard effects to their FM9 rigs.

My question involves connecting a StroboStomp HD tuner to the global signal path of my FM9. (I realize that it may not be possible to work with this with global settings, but if individual presets could be connected, it would be appreciated if someone from the FAS forums could describe how to connect).

Also, what jack should the pedal connect to if all of my PDL 1, 2 & 3 jacks are currently occupied?

My feeling is that connecting the pedal should position immediately after Line In 1 in FM9-Edit. Thanks in advance for anyone who employs the StroboStomp HD.

The tuner should be first in line, ahead of the modeler to get a totally dry signal with no effects. You can put it in the effect loop but you might lose some accuracy.

The pedal jacks are incompatible because they only send a control voltage, there is no audio signal.

See ch. 4 in the manual for an example of connecting external effects.

You don’t use the PDL jacks for audio.

You can do it with Input/Output 3 easy enough but why wouldn’t you just plug your guitar into the tuner and then to Input 1?
Perfect. Thank you. Will need to locate an appropriate length cable for this task. StroboStomp would reside to the left side of the FM9 with my external switches. Cable to connect will need to feed under the board and up behind the input jack. Preferably a dual right-angled TS plug cable.

You don’t use the PDL jacks for audio.

You can do it with Input/Output 3 easy enough but why wouldn’t you just plug your guitar into the tuner and then to Input 1?
I was on the phone earlier today to Sweetwater regards the StroboStomp HD for its sweetened tunings abilities. I'd been looking for a tuner that offers alternate or sweetened tunings (specifically James Taylor's modified offset tuning). The StroboStomp offers a wide range of these that can be stored as presets. Most all other brand names don't offer this.

Will be adding one effects pedal prior to my FM9. (That's all the room I've got on my Duo 34 board). Wondering if it would be wise to stay with a 9V battery, or try wiring the board for electrical outlet/Temple Audio EIC jack? I've got one unused small plate opening to the right where my XLR modules connect...

DISCLAIMER: Not affiliated with Sweetwater/Peterson Tuners.

I was on the phone earlier today to Sweetwater regards the StroboStomp HD for its sweetened tunings abilities. I'd been looking for a tuner that offers alternate or sweetened tunings (specifically James Taylor's modified offset tuning). The StroboStomp offers a wide range of these that can be stored as presets. Most all other brand names don't offer this.

Will be adding one effects pedal prior to my FM9. (That's all the room I've got on my Duo 34 board). Wondering if it would be wise to stay with a 9V battery, or try wiring the board for electrical outlet/Temple Audio EIC jack? I've got one unused small plate opening to the right where my XLR modules connect...

DISCLAIMER: Not affiliated with Sweetwater/Peterson Tuners.
I have an older V1 Strobostomp. They have offered the sweetened tunings for a long time. I don't know of any other tuner that does that. They are power hungry pedals. You will want to run power to it.

I have an older V1 Strobostomp. They have offered the sweetened tunings for a long time. I don't know of any other tuner that does that. They are power hungry pedals. You will want to run power to it.
Yup. Thanks. Currently actively researching some DIY junction box projects which will include 1 IEC male recessed jack, and 2 female 3-prong AC outlet jacks. One ac jack will connect to the StroboStomp, the other will connect to the FM9. Might need to route a TA Duo 34 access hole to allow for the IEC cable to feed through. The 1 EIC male recessed jack will connect to a TA IEC Module > TA Duo 34 left side port.

You could also plug directly into the FM9 and connect Output 3 jack to input of the tuner.

Then set Output 3 Copy Input 1 ON.

This saves your signal from running thru the tuner.

Of course, that may or may not matter to you.

You could also plug directly into the FM9 and connect Output 3 jack to input of the tuner.

Then set Output 3 Copy Input 1 ON.

This saves your signal from running thru the tuner.

Of course, that may or may not matter to you.
Thanks. I think I'm safe putting the StroboStomp before the Guitar Input, situated between the 2 external switches towards the left side of my Duo 34. My hope was to employ a Vertex Effects Board Power Supply, but these are sold out everywhere and nowhere to be found online.

So, my buddy who is adept at guitar tech and woodworking, has volunteered to help me locate the smaller electrical parts for the Vertex, and build a comparable electrical box enclosure that will connect to both the FM9 and StroboStomp. I've left it up to him to source the smaller parts, insure safe wiring, and help me install the enclosure under the effects board.

Once my buddy returns from the home improvement store tomorrow, I'll await the other parts on order (the TA EIC module, the LoveMySwitches enclosure, and a separate EIC/AC plug cable) arrival before we can proceed with the build.

As was said previously, we might need to route one of the larger access holes to accommodate the EIC plug. I hope this highlights what we're trying to accomplish, and I'll repay my buddy's services with my former Korg PitchBlack tuner I'd normally sell to find the project. Thankfully, I saved and budgeted earlier this month and we won't need sacrifice any funds we'd try to prevent from being taken unnecessarily in this endeavor.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I'm safe putting the StroboStomp before the Guitar Input, situated between the 2 external switches towards the left side of my Duo 34. My hope was to employ a Vertex Effects Board Power Supply, but these are sold out everywhere and nowhere to be found online.

So, my buddy who is adept at guitar tech and woodworking, has volunteered to help me locate the smaller electrical parts for the Vertex, and build a comparable electrical box enclosure that will connect to both the FM9 and StroboStomp. I've left it up to him to source the smaller parts, insure safe wiring, and help me install the enclosure under the effects board.

Once my buddy returns from the home improvement store tomorrow, I'll await the other parts on order (the TA EIC module, the LoveMySwitches enclosure, and a separate EIC/AC plug cable) arrival before we can proceed with the build.

As was said previously, we might need to route one of the larger access holes to accommodate the EIC plug. I hope this highlights what we're trying to accomplish, and I'll repay my buddy's services with my former Korg PitchBlack tuner I'd normally sell to find the project. Thankfully, I saved and budgeted earlier this month and we won't need sacrifice any funds we'd try to prevent from being taken unnecessarily in this endeavor.
Are you having an issue with the onboard tuner?

Are you having an issue with the onboard tuner?
Let's just say, the StroboStomp will provide more accurate tuning than the FM9 could, plus, it will help me locate sweetened tunings that would not be possible with other tuners.

An issue? No. Just making sure that when I work with my FM9, I've got my accurate tuning covered.

Last edited:
I
Let's just say, the StroboStomp will provide more accurate tuning than the FM9 could, plus, it will help me locate sweetened tunings that would not be possible with other tuners.

An issue? No. Just making sure that when I work with my FM9, I've got my accurate tuning covered.
Not sure if it’s been said but you can offset tunings easily in all fractal products. The little wheel on the FM9 tuner is extremely accurate, so accurate that when compared to my Peterson that I use (only for setups and intonation) the results are near identical. That being said I personally use outboard drive pedals in the loop in order to have K-style overdrive and to save cpu on the FM9 one can say that is unnecessary that the results are negligible as I’m pretty sure only save about 5% versus using 2 drives blocks. I’ve honestly thought of it and I might just go straight into the Fm9 for simplicity sake. All of this to say it might really be worth trying to see if there is that much of a difference rather than carrying more gear. Food for thought. :)

Yes, understood. I use the FM9's offset tunings for my PRS McCarty and SE HBII Piezo...

The StroboStomp uses a library of separate sweetened tunings (to a larger number, -12 cents low E thru high E, for example) that you can't program into the FM9 for each preset.

The FM9's offsets are global, and the James Taylor offsets I'd need require a separate offset not possible for both my acoustic and electric guitars together.

It's much easier to use both the StroboStomp for acoustic and/or electric by simply switching presets within the StroboStomp than it is to switch offsets with the FM9.

What I'm currently doing is outsourcing the parts that will build the electric box that will contain the power connections for the Strobe and FM9 that will fit under my Duo 34. Heading to the home improvement store for some items later this week, and if I can't find what I need; will source them online.

Perhaps I misspoke. Is the FM9 accurate to ± 0.1 cents? It's OK to say you don't know.
I’m going to say yes. It’s the same ADC as on the FX3. Look at the tuner display in Axe-Edit with the current firmware and it’s measuring in tenths of a cent, the same accuracy as Peterson and TC tuners.

That display is supposed to be available on the FM9 when the firmware bumps since Fractal keeps that in parity as long as the hardware supports it.

The only advantage TC has is they have the patent for polyphonic tuning. Peterson has… what? I have several Peterson Strobo-Clip HD as backups in my gig bags, and a StroboPLUS HDC that is on my desk for convenience when I’m adjusting guitars, but my primary tuners are TC Polytune-clips on the guitars and the tuner built into the modeler, and, if I was using my regular board, I’d be using a TC Polytune-Stomp. And the ONLY reasons I’d use them is because of the Polytune feature.

I’ve intonated my guitars using all of them at different times and they’ve all worked equally well.

To each their own I guess! I have a Peterson Strobo Stomp tuner and I had done this test in the distant past to see how accurate the tuner in FAS products were. All of the Legacy products going all the way back to the Standard have never had any tuning accuracy problems.

I hear and see no difference between it or the FM's tuner with respect to accuracy. I will say the the Peterson's visual reaction appears have a smoother response than that of the FM but the FM's tuner display is far easier to see when compared to that tuner! I suspect that FAS could do a firmware update to offer up different settings to change the display appearance which would be a nice add!

I don't use any offsets or sweetened tunings so I can't really say anything to that effect. That said I can't imagine that it would be any different given FAS's reputation with respect to modeling accuracy to let something like tuning to not be just as accurate.

Back
Top Bottom