Adam 5x

rusman75089

I bought an Adam 5x monitor sometime ago for some kind of frfr solution. I checked the global controls to make sure everything is on and played it for some time. I find that that some things are missing. When I try solos they seem to not really come out and are pretty difficult to play. Has anyone used this monitor before? I'm waiting for my name to come up on the list for atomic wedge.

I've listened to the Adams when I was shopping for a pair of monitors.

Next only to the Yamaha NS10, they're the harshest sounding ones I've heard, especially in the upper mids which are so crucial for soloing.

I personally ended up buying a pair of KRK RP6 after listening to everything they had in store. On the shootout there were Adam, KRKs, Mackie (very nasty sounding mids on those), M-audio, Behringer, Alesis, Genelec in 8", 6" and 5" configurations. To my ears, the KRK have the sweetest sounding mids of the bunch without being too coloured. I loved the RP8, but didn't have the space, so went for the second best, RP6. FRFR geeks will probably tell me they're not flat, which is fine by me - I've found the guitar tones I dial on them to translate pretty well, and so do my mixes. The Genelec come a close second, but have a slightly hyped upper mid range that makes guitars too piercing for me.

Want my piece of advice? Return the Adams, give the KRKs a try. Worked for me, YMMV.

Adams are amazing and are only a reflection of your listening environment. If your room sounds crap, guess what your monitors are gonna sound like. Google room modes and sound treatment options like bass traps and diffusers. The 5x will always be lacking in the low end but should still sound stellar. Play your favourite cd through them, move them round the room till they sound right

Must say - I just bought some new monitors after my Event TR5s went up in smoke. Initially got the Equator D5s - same designer so should sound similar and great reviews. Seemed a little hard in the trebble, and the bass while deep was some how "separated" from the rest. Didnt help I had a severe port chuff from one of them - so they went back.

Found somewhere to try some monitors - all 5 or 6" drivers though as I dont have the space for 8s - and went through lots. Mackies - yuk. Rokits - equally as yuk. Yams NSs were OK actually. Tried the Focal 65s which were great (the 50s wernt so good) as were the Genlecs BUT both out of my price range. The Adams were pretty good actually, and while pricier than the rest (that were in my price range) were so much better than the others. I find the upper mids and treble so transparent - perfect for mixing. After putting 10-15 hours through them they cam together more and Im pretty happy now. The bottom end is a little indistinct (its there but lacks a little definition) the equators were better there, but for 5" drivers there acceptable - the rest of the spectrum is really quite good.

In the price range I was looking at the Adams were the best overall - and by quite a way. Id have gone for the Focals if I could have stretched - but they were nearly twice the price for the 65s and the 50s didnt have enough of an improvement of teh the Adams to justify the greater price. The genlec 8030s were a close 2nd - but again too costly and the 8020s (still quite pricey) wernt as good.

Im happy with the Adams, though now they have had some hours through them, I may need to play with the rear controls a little (the upper freqs open out so may either need a db cut - or the ribbon control may need to come down a notch) but there not far off as they are.

Back
Top Bottom