Active studio monitors for AX8?

sgb1

On the waiting list for the AX8 and was planning on getting some active studio monitors to run it through primarily. I previously had a pair of Dynaudio BM5's that I ran my Standard through but I'm not at all interested in spending that kind of cash again. Looking at the Tannoy Reveal 802's, Yamaha HS8's, and JBL LSR308's. I won't be able to go in store to compare. Any experience or thoughts on these? Other recommendations in the price range? Thanks!

I have a small collection of monitors but I always seem to go back to my old Event TR8s for mixing. But, if I'm just sitting around noodling on the guitar, I much prefer to play through a pair of QSC K10s or KW12s - for me they have a much cleaner/faster response I assume because of the massive amount of headroom.

I LOVE my ADAM monitors, they are flat, warm, highs are smooth and nothing seems hyped. Ear fatigue does not seem to be an issue.

Most important...At moderate volume, they give me an accurate representation of my rig at louder live volumes through FOH. Can't see myself using anything else.

I LOVE my ADAM monitors, they are flat, warm, highs are smooth and nothing seems hyped. Ear fatigue does not seem to be an issue.

Most important...At moderate volume, they give me an accurate representation of my rig at louder live volumes through FOH. Can't see myself using anything else.
A7's?

I'm also an Event fan, 20/20bas re-issue would be a good one. This is for overall mixing, not just guitar.

I started with M-Audio BX5A's (terrible - one died after a month), then JBL LSR305's (upgrade from M-Audio but I had to crank the volume to 10 with most Multi Effect pedals with the output on the pedal set at about noon), and now Yamaha HS7's (tight, focused, clear - and speaker volume at noon). I imagine the HS8's would be even better, just didn't want something that big for this particular room.

This is a thread where most people will advise to get something that they are using =) It's not bad. Just impossible to make the right choice :D

Exactly - I like my KRK RP6 G2, and I considered recommending them, but in all honesty, I think, it is better to get something better - even in the same price range. I like them, but guitars tend to sound a little dull through those.

I really like three-way speakers like the Adams but you pay a lot for them. Then again for recording/mixing purposes, with a a good three-way reference speaker you could finally find issues with the mid-range.

IMO, it depends on the music you play. Both the JBL308s and HS8s are "accurate" as far as that goes: the JBL308s are smoother with a great low end, the Yamaha HS8s are more in your face regarding the midrange detail, but you may want a sub to beef up drop tunings or 7 string. I A/B both sets of monitors (with sub) for an accurate assessment of a full mix. For playing an instrument with amp modeling through, I'd surmise the JBL308s would be more satisfactory for a bluesman and/or more classic tones, and the Yamahas would have the edge for those seeking to maximize aggressive styles.

Last edited:
Have no doubts that the Adams are great but I don't have that kind of money anymore. About double my budget for the pair.

IMO, it depends on the music you play. Both the JBL308s and HS8s are "accurate" as far as that goes: the JBL308s are smoother with a great low end, the Yamaha HS8s are more in your face regarding the midrange detail, but you may want a sub for drop tunings or 7 string. I A/B both sets of monitors for an accurate assessment of a mix. For playing an instrument with amp modeling through, I'd surmise the JBL308s would be more satisfactory for a bluesman and more vintage tones, and the Yamaha for those seeking to maximize aggressive styles.
Good explanation! Thx!

I play metal stuff mostly. Pantera, Megadeth, Metallica, and Dream Theater stuff. Just a bedroom hack. If I ever do go play with someone I have a Mesa Mark 5:25 for that. I also do ZERO recording or mixing so that won't come into the equation at all for me.

Good explanation! Thx!

I'll add one more opinion: If I had to use only one pair for tracking, mixing and mastering: I'd go with the HS8 as the marginally better tool for that purpose. Ear fatigue from extended sessions through the HS8s seems to have less of an effect on my perception of the material than with other monitors where fresh vs tired ears seem to reveal more of a difference. Not quantifiable, though, too many variables: but worth mentioning. YMMV.

On the other hand, for the qualitative experience of listening to finished music and playing guitar through; I prefer the JBL308s.

The Dynaudios are a bit cheaper than they used to be, you might check into them again if you like them (especially used). I also had BM5As at one point and they were very good. I use Presonus Scepter 8s now, and they're great, but probably more than you want to spend.

Really anything with a decently flat sound will get you going. I've never found the Axe Fx to be all that finicky.

Leaning towards the JBL's after reading several reviews and what's been posted here. Seem to be just as good or better than the Yamaha HS8 for $100 less per monitor. Keep the input coming though!

Back
Top Bottom