Active or Passive?

LegatoMan

Hello there,

I was thinking about buying a FRFR amp by Atomic. However, I don't quite understand the difference between the passive and active versions. Can someone help me out?

Sure.

The passive versions are just like any other traditional speaker cab - you plug your guitar into an amplifier, and the amplifier powers the speakers. In an Axe FX user's case you would go AxeFX preamp -> Power Amp -> passive reactor cabinet/wedge.

The active versions simply take the poweramp portion of the previous example and include it inside the speaker cabinet. In the case of the reactors, it's a 50W tube amp, with the same specs as the Atomic monoblock amplifier.

You'll probably next ask about the advantages of each, etc. Search the forums, there are a few existing threads describing the pros and cons of each, but at the most basic level: the passive versions are lighter and more versatile because they can be mated to many different power amplifiers. The active versions are more compact and reduce the need to lug around extra gear and a power amplifier.

Thanks for the reply!

So am I right in thinking that simply an Axe Fx hooked up to a passive Atomic cabinet won't work?

LegatoMan said:
Thanks for the reply!

So am I right in thinking that simply an Axe Fx hooked up to a passive Atomic cabinet won't work?

Yes, you need an amp to power passive speakers.

Back
Top Bottom