Active monitors advice

Looking for a pair of active studio monitors to have at home
plugged direct in to axe 2 . In my studio I have Genelec+Yamaha
Monitors but I will be away from the studio and need to be able to
Create patches from home that will translate well to the studio .
In short a small pair of speakers that won't colour the sound too much,
Anyone here using any specific speakers for this purpose ?

I just got some Yamaha HS50m monitors for my recording/Axe 2 setup and I like them. Plenty of volume, and stay pretty consistent in terms of sound at both higher and lower volumes. They also seem to be pretty neutral in terms of sound, at least to my ears. I also like the size/form factor of them. You can always add their matching sub if you need more lowend, although I've been impressed with them for what I play...mostly technical death metal/grind, tuned to D standard and using EZ Drummer. Plenty of punch in the guitars and drums both.

What Yamaha monitors do you have at your studio? These are based on the NS10 from years gone by, and they run about $300 a pair.

On the higher end, a lot of people like the Adam and Event monitors...but it seems most important for you to get something that will translate well to your other monitors...

The acoustical characteristics of the two spaces will likely be quite different, so it's hard to say if any monitors will meet your requirements.

Will you be satisfied with smaller ones? Do you want quieter or cheaper? Focal are better value than genelec, IMO, but if you need to be quiet, maybe headphones? Why active anyway? A good hifi amp and some passives with a good strong voice coil would be as good probably, cheap to buy used too. Unless you get monitors as good as your studio ones, you will always need to tweak a little more once you get to the studio

Back
Top Bottom