Bug? activate Tap Tempo or Tuner via external pedal?

mattfavs

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a missing feature. either way it would be great if this was sorted out.

I have looked in the I/O settings and under the control section and you can select Pedal 1-4 for the tap and tuner but it does not work. i have also deselected tap and tuner in the Global/F-switch section with no luck.

it would be very handy to be able to have an external switch to either activate the tap tempo or tuner. when i play live i am quite often switching the tuner on an off and using the tap tempo and sometimes if i am not careful i activate the tap tempo by accident when trying to turn on the tuner. which is a bit of a pain waiting for the tap screen to go away when doing a quick emergency tune mid song.

what pedal are you trying to use in the Pedal Jack 1-4? what kind of cable are you using to connect it? did you set the Pedal to Momentary or Latching, instead of Continuous in the I/O Pedal menu?

I have the tuner hooked up to an external switch and it works fine for me. My switch is momentary though I believe I've tried it with latching in the past and it worked fine.

Make sure you have the pedal type set correctly on the I/O > Pedal page. If you have a latching pedal, make sure it is set to "latching". If you have a momentary pedal, it gets a little confusing. If you set it to "momentary", the AX8 treats it as if it were latching. This is probably what you want for the tuner. If you set it as "continuous", the AX8 treats it as if it were momentary so you'd have to keep your foot down to stay in tuner mode. I don't know what happens if you set a momentary switch to "latching". You can use the calibration screen to make sure the AX8 is toggling when you press your switch to make sure it isn't a cabling or hardware issue but note that this is the raw switch value so the latching vs. momentary behavior follows the pedal's behavior, not the AX8's setting.

I could never get tap tempo to work properly with any external switch. It seems broken as I've never had a problem with any other device but I could just be misunderstanding how to use it. The manual says "IMPORTANT: ANY value for the designated controller counts as a tap, so do not use a momentary switch or you will end up with double-time!" but this seemed to be the opposite of my experience. Latching wouldn't really work at all and momentary would sort of work but be too flaky to use. I've tested with multiple Boss switches as well as my own custom made switch box.

I'm one firmware version back (v3.51, I think?).

what pedal are you trying to use in the Pedal Jack 1-4? what kind of cable are you using to connect it? did you set the Pedal to Momentary or Latching, instead of Continuous in the I/O Pedal menu?
im using the little Boss FS-5U with a standard 1/4" guitar patch cable. i have set it to momentary in the I/O pedal menu. if i go into the calibration setting in the ax8 i can see that the ax8 can see the pedal change but when i go out of the settings page it just wont respond and switch the tuner/tap.

im using the little Boss FS-5U with a standard 1/4" guitar patch cable. i have set it to momentary in the I/O pedal menu. if i go into the calibration setting in the ax8 i can see that the ax8 can see the pedal change but when i go out of the settings page it just wont respond and switch the tuner/tap.
what firmware version is on your AX8? press Shift, Setup, then switch 3, page over to FIRMWARE.

Hi!
I have the same issue with my AX8.
I was interested by external control for TEMPO TAP (as my right foot is broken) and for OUT 1 VOL INCR and DECR. None is working (neither TUNER) even after a RESET.
I have look for several parameters to find out where I was wrong but I've found nothing. In the calibration setting, I can see the pedal is changing and if I use the external switch to drive an audio parameter (for example BOOST in the AMP block) it works fine.
It seems that the problem is software (and not hardware). I also tried with the USB & MIDI unplugged, no way...

This is the third AX8 I receive (audio issues for the first two) :mad::(.

Hi!
I have the same issue with my AX8.
I was interested by external control for TEMPO TAP (as my right foot is broken) and for OUT 1 VOL INCR and DECR. None is working (neither TUNER) even after a RESET.
I have look for several parameters to find out where I was wrong but I've found nothing. In the calibration setting, I can see the pedal is changing and if I use the external switch to drive an audio parameter (for example BOOST in the AMP block) it works fine.
It seems that the problem is software (and not hardware). I also tried with the USB & MIDI unplugged, no way...

This is the third AX8 I receive (audio issues for the first two) :mad::(.
Did you set the Tuner parameter to Pedal in the I/O CTRL menu? Also answer these questions from earlier in the thread:

Thank you for you fast answer !
Did you set the Tuner parameter to Pedal in the I/O CTRL menu?
Yes of course, this is what is not working.
I use a momentary switch with a mono jack and I tried Momentary, Latching and Continuous without effect...

I've tried a few RESET in vain, but is there a way to produce a Hard Reset ? Would it be a good idea to Updating again the firmware ?

I must also say that the EXT CTRL INIT VAL (0 or 100%) don't work either.
this setting is ONLY for MIDI data, not the pedal jacks.
I've tried a few RESET in vain, but is there a way to produce a Hard Reset ? Would it be a good idea to Updating again the firmware ?
there is no "hard" reset required as the Reset System Parameters would already do that. updating firmware again would not change anything.

gimme a minute, let me try it on mine.

ok i tried it with Pedal 2 jack, and initially i couldn't get the Tuner to work with the External switch, all settings were correct.

i noticed that External Controller 2 was also set to Pedal 2. i set that to anything other than Pedal 2, and the external switch immediately worked.

so make sure your Pedal # jack is only set to one thing in that I/O CTRL menu, and not multiple entries.

Done !
I am confused, it works !!
Here it is time to sleep, I will try the other setting (OUT 1 VOL INCR and DECR) tomorrow but I guess it will be fine.

Thank you very much Chris !
Have a nice Week End !;)

To me, it makes sense that having multiple things assigned to the same control/pedal could cause issue. Glad it’s working and that we know the specifics.

Yes I agree with you, I think I had tried this before but I had also to set to Momentary in the I/O Pedal menu for it works.

EDIT : It must be set Momentary for TEMPO TAP but Latching for OUT 1 VOL INCR, and it is fine.
Thank you Chris

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom