Acoustic treatment, studio placed under loft, low end problems.

Pelikanen

Inspired
I recently moved my studio and now I've encountered frequency problems, especially in the low end around 76 Hz. It seems ~76 Hz is the resonant frequency of the wall or desk, because it gets louder in that area. Certain freqs around 200-300 Hz get cancelled out instead (when sweeping through with a sine wave).

The thing is; the studio is placed under a loft where I sleep. I was wondering if this could have an impact? Or if something else is causing it?

The wall behind the speakers is drywall as well as the wall to the left. But the one to the right is concrete as well as the wall behind me (it has a large window though).

The speakers themselves sits on the desk that is attached directly to the walls. Is there a preferred way to place speakers? They're Yamaha HS80M's so they're quite big.

I read a thread here awhile ago about room measurement, treatment and a way to calculate how to treat it. I couldn't find it though so...
...here are the measurements of the room:
Walls: 220 cm x 220 cm
Ceiling 260 cm
Loft "ceiling": 180 cm, and the loft sticks out about 126.5 cm from the wall.

I guess I'll need bass traps. The question is which ones and where do I place them?

I'll probably need absorbers/diffusers too. Same question here.

I'll try to attach pictures asap.

Man that is a VERY small space to try to get treated. What do you have as of now for treatment? Ever consider smaller monitors?

I'd say look here for a lot of resources. The questions you're asking require you to do some work & study anyway:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stu...tics-treatment-reference-guide-look-here.html

I recently moved my studio and now I've encountered frequency problems, especially in the low end around 76 Hz. It seems ~76 Hz is the resonant frequency of the wall or desk, because it gets louder in that area. Certain freqs around 200-300 Hz get cancelled out instead (when sweeping through with a sine wave).
The 76 Hz looks to be a strong fundamental wall-to-wall axial room mode

I've entered your room dimensions for you here:
https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=220&w=220&h=260&r60=0.6

The wall behind the speakers is drywall as well as the wall to the left. But the one to the right is concrete as well as the wall behind me (it has a large window though).
Get absorption panels for the side walls. Every treated room needs them, but especially since you have different wall materials left & right, reflections are probably going to mess with stereo imaging.

The speakers themselves sits on the desk that is attached directly to the walls. Is there a preferred way to place speakers? They're Yamaha HS80M's so they're quite big.
Monitors should be either very close to the wall, or very far from the wall.

Sounds like you have it very close to the wall. Just make sure to give it 4 or 5 inches behind the monitor, since the HS80M have the ports in the rear. Good rule of thumb for distance from wall is twice the port diameter.

I read a thread here awhile ago about room measurement, treatment and a way to calculate how to treat it. I couldn't find it though so...
...here are the measurements of the room:
Walls: 220 cm x 220 cm
Ceiling 260 cm
Loft "ceiling": 180 cm, and the loft sticks out about 126.5 cm from the wall.

I guess I'll need bass traps. The question is which ones and where do I place them?
Corners are usually most efficient bass trap placement areas to start with.

I'll probably need absorbers/diffusers too. Same question here.
Diffusers are usually placed on the rear wall. But in a small room, it might rather be better to have a bass absorber there.
Additional absorbers, I wouldn't worry too much until you have enough bass traps/absorbers to solve your bass issues.

Man that is a VERY small space to try to get treated. What do you have as of now for treatment? Ever consider smaller monitors?

I agree. It might be better for OP to just do very-near-field listening, with some early reflection treatment. Certainly far easier, as the bass will be really hard to correct. Or headphones...:p

If you are going to continue in that space, then place bass traps in the corners in addition to the wall treatments. You can use Auralex. Perhaps not the best treatment, but good enough for a home studio. You can also try setting your monitors on some foam padding to break the contact with your desk. It would help isolate them a little better.

FYI, Auralex mostly makes foam stuff, and foam does not absorb bass well.

^^ this. Although I would be more categorical. Foam doesn’t help with managing bass, it just can’t. You need a lot of mass to absorb all that energy. Similar to like you need massive speakers to produce it.

Thank you for all your answers! If foam isn't enough to manage bass what should I use instead? Assuming you mean bass traps are made of foam?

Thank you for all your answers! If foam isn't enough to manage bass what should I use instead? Assuming you mean bass traps are made of foam?
Bass traps aren't supposed to be made of foam, but auralex makes a lot of foam stuff. That's the issue with some of their stuff.

Bass traps are mostly made with fiberglass insulation stuff, Corning Owens 703, Rockwool, mineral wool, etc. Again, the brands I've listed before make bass traps with these materials, so just go with those brands.
And you can also make bass traps pretty cost effectively if you're a handy person, plenty of guides online, you'll need to do some digging.

A resource for you to dig into:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stu...tics-treatment-reference-guide-look-here.html

Back
Top Bottom