Acoustic Guitar Pickups

K&K pure mini has been my go to. I find alot of the fishman stuff can get pretty "plastic" quick. I have contemplated trying some of the soundhole types though since ive used a k&k in my j45 for like..8 years.
Also the taylor expression system is awful. Ill take that to the grave.

The two (but very different) that have “wowed” me the most lately have been Dazzo and Sunrise.

The Dazzo’s are similar to K&K and glue to the bridge plate inside your guitar. The Sunrise is a soundhole pickup.
Have you used the K&K? Curious if you tried it and preferred the Dazzo over the K&K...or was the Dazzo the first tranducer you tried?

There aren't many vids on the Dazzo

Just this one I could find.

Have you used the K&K? Curious if you tried it and preferred the Dazzo over the K&K...or was the Dazzo the first tranducer you tried?

There aren't many vids on the Dazzo

Just this one I could find.

Yes- I think I’ve tried most all of them including K&K. To me they all sound good, but the Dazzo’s add that extra 10%. All pickups for acoustic guitars are a compromise compared to a good mic, but the Dazzo’s are pretty good if you’re looking to add a system to a guitar. They’re also passive, so no battery required. They work good alone, but paired with a good preamp (Sunnaudio is recommended) it’s golden. The Tonedexter or Grace Design Felix pedal also is highly praised for use with most any piezo.

With that said, I lead worship every week using an acoustic guitar (Martin GPCPA-1) equipped with Martin’s Thinline Gold under saddle piezo paired with on-board Fishman Aura preamp. This is the best plugged in sound I have ever had, but I don’t think this system is available separately (the pickup is but not the preamp) for installation into any guitar.

Yes- I think I’ve tried most all of them including K&K. To me they all sound good, but the Dazzo’s add that extra 10%. All pickups for acoustic guitars are a compromise compared to a good mic, but the Dazzo’s are pretty good if you’re looking to add a system to a guitar. They’re also passive, so no battery required. They work good alone, but paired with a good preamp (Sunnaudio is recommended) it’s golden. The Tonedexter or Grace Design Felix pedal also is highly praised for use with most any piezo.

With that said, I lead worship every week using an acoustic guitar (Martin GPCPA-1) equipped with Martin’s Thinline Gold under saddle piezo paired with on-board Fishman Aura preamp. This is the best plugged in sound I have ever had, but I don’t think this system is available separately (the pickup is but not the preamp) for installation into any guitar.
In theory, the Thinline along with the Aura pedal should get the same results. But I'm still not sold on using IRs (which is what's baked into the Aura system). I'm going to seriously consider the Dazzo, thanks for your input.

This is definitely going to sound great!
And I must be an outlier but I’ve got the Fishman under saddle piezo and the outboard Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and that sounded great as well. But the IRs I captured mixed in the FM-9 with a little piezo was just as good…to me.

In theory, the Thinline along with the Aura pedal should get the same results. But I'm still not sold on using IRs (which is what's baked into the Aura system). I'm going to seriously consider the Dazzo, thanks for your input.
Also, you may want to check out the James May Engineering Ultra-Tonic pickup system. I have one in my L-00 and it sounds great. James May also has other systems that improve on the K&K design.

Also, you may want to check out the James May Engineering Ultra-Tonic pickup system. I have one in my L-00 and it sounds great. James May also has other systems that improve on the K&K design.
That was on my short list. Seems like his circuit board that he adds notches out offending resonant frequencies. Pretty cool.

I've been going back and forth between:
  • K&K
  • Ultra-Tonic
  • Schatten HFN
  • Dazzo

Found an impressive video on the Dazzo, I'm leaning towards that.

Back
Top Bottom