Access Bank/Presets via MIDI?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
I cannot figure out how/where the settings are to find how to access banks/presets using CC/PC changes. I was able to access patch 511 using my Helix as the controller with "Bank CC00" set to "4" and Program set to "126" - so, in other words, bank 4, preset 127. But these don't seem to be actual options in the Axe or in any way accessible via standard MIDI messages; but they must be if the Helix could access it via MIDI, right? Thanks in advance for any help!

nm - figured it out. CC#0, value 3 (for presets 385-512), the PC to 127 (or whatever).

Thanks anyway, fellas. Maybe this'll be found by someone months or years from now and shed some light :)

Last edited:
I cannot figure out how/where the settings are to find how to access banks/presets using CC/PC changes. I was able to access patch 511 using my Helix as the controller with "Bank CC00" set to "4" and Program set to "126" - so, in other words, bank 4, preset 127. But these don't seem to be actual options in the Axe or in any way accessible via standard MIDI messages; but they must be if the Helix access it via MIDI, right? Thanks in advance for any help!
I have not had a need for it, but there is really nothing in the Axe Fx III that you can set. This is pretty much all about the controller.

You need to send multiple midi commands, first CC#0 with a data value for bank select, followed by the PC of the preset within that bank (each bank is 128 presets).

From the user manual:

884E48B3-F985-477E-94A9-6B1A7AF106E7.png
0F847A03-D89B-41C9-9BC5-3AD820826E8E.png

nm - figured it out. CC#0, value 4 (for presets 385-512), the PC to 127 (or whatever).

Thanks anyway, fellas. Maybe this'll be found by someone months or years from now and shed some light :)
From the manual (see my previous post) it would be CC#0 data value 3.

Great timing. This just helped me. Got to practice last night and couldn’t figure out why it was switching to the wrong presets from OnSong. Added the bank change first followed by program change. Now it’s working.

Haven't messed with this yet, but does the Bank Selected 'persist'? I.e. Say, if you set the last bank via CC#0, data 3 do all subsequent PC messages which are necessarily limited to values of 0-127 select presets within that bank's 385-512 range?

I assume you don't have to keep reselecting the bank, right?

I will try it for myself at some point. Haven't build > 128 presets yet. ;) But it would be nice to know up front.

I have not had a need for it, but there is really nothing in the Axe Fx III that you can set. This is pretty much all about the controller.

You need to send multiple midi commands, first CC#0 with a data value for bank select, followed by the PC of the preset within that bank (each bank is 128 presets).

From the user manual:

View attachment 47844
View attachment 47845

This info is awesome and very timely for me. I was thinking the Morningstar MC6 MKII might not be able to access presets above 127. I have to admit that I didn’t truly understand this data from the manual, before seeing the explanations in this thread. Now this makes sense and is easy to implement!

@decreebass @unix-guy

Cheers guys,

Lee

Back
Top Bottom