About to pull the trigger on an RJM GT/22 Question

Franklin

I've been researching the GT/22 for a bit now and I'm ready. The general consensus on these units seems to be very positive.

My question to GT users is this: Does the unit have any weaknesses or negatives? Is there anything that you wish you'd thought about, or wish you'd known prior to purchasing?

Thanks

I'm aware that the unit cannot be powered by the Axe fx III like the MFC can via FASlink. That's fine. I will buy the phantom power add on from RJM.

You're aware that there is currently no Axe Fx integration, right? Supposedly coming soon. That means it will work as a generic midi controller, but there is no special capability like with the Axe Fx II.

I use a Mastermind GT10 and love it. There is a bit of a learning curve, to get accustomed to the notion of pages. I spent about three days experimenting / programming before I felt like I had it set up the way I wanted it. The way I use my controller is like this:
  • In the GT10 default page state, I have the buttons set up to select patches sequentially within banks. This is a handy "browse" mode when I want to navigate around various patches quickly. I mostly use it when rehearsing, or just when I need to get to a specific patch quickly.
  • For my set list pages, I have the buttons programmed so that each song has its respective scenes programmed to a button (and named for handy reference). (FYI: In the AxeFX II, I create an individual patch for every song we play; I have started to program my AxeFX III and may wind up needing fewer presets due to the flexibility of channels.) There are also up/down buttons set up on the right side, for going forward / backward in the set.
  • Here's the handy trick: for each preset, the button on the the upper left selects the "effects" page. This displays the effects within the current preset, and lets me switch them on / off individually in case I want to make an on-the-fly adjustment.
  • I can also switch back to "browse presets" mode at any time.
I've been very happy with the Mastermind controller. It is hugely flexible and powerful, and the editor is great.

The only negative about the GTs is price. But they are great in every other way and the support and community around them is terrific.

Austin

Wonderful device. Never negretted buying it.

Be aware that for phantom power you need to buy an additional adapter box.

Last edited:
Mine just arrived today. Quality of build is immediately apparent. I added the phantom power box, just because I wanted to have the option and am not yet sure how I'll set it up.

I have to side with @dpeterson on the cost... there's a world of difference between expensive and over-priced. Quality costs and I feel I paid what it costs to get quality construction that will do what I need in an environment where I am under contact to produce the goods. Value is a personal equation so the price factor will be, in large part, based on your wants or needs. For some, I guess you could say it would be overkill, and accordingly, overpriced. Not here.

It certainly has a cool look to it, I'll say that. In appearance, I'd say it actually looks like it belongs connected to an Axe FX III.

Back
Top Bottom