About having a hard time trying to match own patches across different FW versions

viabcroce

Experienced
Hi all,
happy new year to all forumites and their families (by this time, 2012 should have spreaded through the whole planet ;D)!

I've noticed that one of the most common issues members refer on this forum is their difficulties in matching their sounds when switching to a different FW version. Such switching is usually not trivial, implying new default values, the introduction of new parameters and the change in the range of some/many of them; and sometimes the elimination of one or more parameters.

A good starting point is of course a comparison between the old and the new settings, and a decent comprehension of the new parameters' meanings. Keeping track of the whole set of parameters for each patch is of course a long and tedious task, so I thought if a way to automate it could be implemented.

In some devices, the user can perform a so called "memory dump", where a list of all the parameters' settings is created in real time. Could it be possible to implement such a function in the Axe-FX? The unit might be programmed so that a .txt file is created and sent to a remote device (maybe via the USB port?). This file could have a table-like structure as the following:

FW Version - Preset # - Preset Name - Parameter Name - Parameter Range - Parameter Default Value - Parameter Current Value - Parameter Introduced In This Version [boolean] - Etc -

Of course other columns could be introduced if meaningful, the above are the most basic ones coming to my mind.

I believe such a tool would be of great help not only when trying to sonically match a patch, but for studying purposes as well, and even for a one-shot visual review of own settings. Personally I'd feel much more at ease having in front a hardprint of such a file than having to navigate through menus, specially having to manage different versions of Axe edit at the same time.

I think such a functionality should belong to Axe-Edit.
You can export a preset to a csv file. What is missing is the ability to batch export a range of presets.

Suggestion:

Before a firmware upgrade you could do a bank backup. After upgrade is complete just open up two instances of Axe Edit one directed to your bank file from old firmware and the other to the Axe Fx itself.

Just one thing when you do this, open the first instance and set the midi ports to none open a bank file. Then open up the other instance (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) chances are you will have to reset your midi ports to see your Axe Fx, and compare away.

John
Suggestion:

Before a firmware upgrade you could do a bank backup. After upgrade is complete just open up two instances of Axe Edit one directed to your bank file from old firmware and the other to the Axe Fx itself.

Just one thing when you do this, open the first instance and set the midi ports to none open a bank file. Then open up the other instance (2[SUP]nd[/SUP]) chances are you will have to reset your midi ports to see your Axe Fx, and compare away.

John

Last edited:
Hey GPZ,
Axe Edit looks a good place where perform the operation indeed. IMO it would be great if it was empowered to the point of generating complete reports the way I was describing.

Thanks John,
appreciate it :)
The idea of the file serves the purpose of having all the parameters under sight at the same time w/o having to open two instances of AE.
Personally, I prefer much more to read a sheet of paper than to look at my monitor(s). It's also useful when you are far from your studio and want to work on/study (others) patches´ :)

Thanks John,
appreciate it :)
The idea of the file serves the purpose of having all the parameters under sight at the same time w/o having to open two instances of AE.
Personally, I prefer much more to read a sheet of paper than to look at my monitor(s). It's also useful when you are far from your studio and want to work on/study (others) patches´ :)

I hear you and so would I. It would be allot easier to make comparisons across a spreadsheet.

John

Back
Top Bottom