Ableton Live 9: Worth It?

kfliegner

Power User
My son records using Axe-Fx II and Ableton Live Lite on our Mac (I use Logic but have been unable to convince him to make the switch). He's inquired about upgrading to the full Live 9 software. Before I incur the expense, does anyone have anything particularly good or bad to say about Ableton Live 9? Input would be appreciated.

I use Live Suite 8 and I love it. It's easy to pick up and the MIDI editing is a breeze. I can only imagine that Live 9 is even better. The problem isn't Ableton on the Mac, it's Mountain Lion. I'm going to down grade to Snow Leopard soon. Less bugs.

I love it. Not only is it great for recording but the live performace possibilities are fantastic. It is now the mixer for my live PA and I can implement all kinds of recorded bits for sound effects, etc and use all my plugins for live use. The Max for live piece is really great for adding all kinds of little tools that many in the Ableton community have contributed. I also find it much easier to quickly and easily record when you just want to throw something together.

I upgraded from Suite 8 to Suite 9 and have been happy with it for the most part. A lot of flexibility for workflow. I have had some BSODs on Windows 7 lately due to the browser indexing, but only when it's been running for a couple of days... The browser is the one thing people seem to complain about the most.

I upgraded from Suite 8 to Suite 9 and have been happy with it for the most part. A lot of flexibility for workflow. I have had some BSODs on Windows 7 lately due to the browser indexing, but only when it's been running for a couple of days... The browser is the one thing people seem to complain about the most.

BSODs can't be due to browser indexing. It's likely either a driver or a hardware component problem.

Well, it's a shame that even in Live 9 (and I've been using Live since 4) you cannot do a simple comping of several takes of a track.
That's why I think that Live is still not a serious contender for a full fletched DAW.
Also the improvements of 9 vs. 8 were pretty poor and I sometimes wonder why I paid for upgrading.
Still you gotta love Live for its audio manipulation capabilities and its serious integration into a "live" environment.

Logic OTOH is the best overall DAW I've ever seen. And the best bang for the buck, too.

All in all, for me: Sketching, ideas, playing around: Live.
Serious work, recording, tracking: Logic.

Back
Top Bottom