Able to create Presets based on IA states using the same Axe FX Preset

oddb0d

Inspired
I love that I can sync the MFC-101 directly with the Axe FX and have all my presets automatically show up etc. I love Song mode and definitely will be using that. I did that with my LF Pro / JR and it was great. What would be TOTALLY awesome in my opinion is the ability to create a song with an MFC-101 preset mapped to an Axe FX Preset. Then be able to create additional MFC-101 presets which are based on the same Axe FX Preset but with different IA switch states. I normally create my song presets to be one chain with just different status on the delay / drive / mod blocks etc. If I have to create multiple presets so I can switch easily between these combinations it means I need to update all presets used in that song if I make a change.

I normally make 1 preset per song and then use a different combo of IA switches to handle the changes. I am no good at foot tapping so I really want to remove the need to press more than one button per preset change.

Does this make sense? If not I can clarify. I was thinking it would be cool to select the preset and then set the combination of IA Switches and save as a preset in the MFC-101.

You can do this by taking the MFC out of axe-fx mode. You lose the tuner/tempo functionality though. I set my presets up the same as you. I would like to see a similar thing or at least be able to use the tuner in none axe-fx mode.

In non-Axe FX mode though you would have to name the presets etc. which is a bit of hassle (I know I am lazy) I just though it would be cool to be able to quickly create permutations on an Axe FX presets.

In non-Axe FX mode though you would have to name the presets etc. which is a bit of hassle (I know I am lazy) I just though it would be cool to be able to quickly create permutations on an Axe FX presets.

I'm with you on this.

I really like this idea. With my previous ART X-15 board, I mapped the switches to "externals" on the AFx. I could then apply those externals to whichever blocks I had in a given preset. It was great for getting access to different block types with only a few switches. It's really nice having the indicators for what is in (and more importantly, on). I know I could program that in the MFC, but it seems like a lot of work when the AFx should be able to automatically integrate with it.

You do not need to take the MFC-101 out of Axe-Fx mode for this!

The MFC-101 will remember, and transmit to the Axe-Fx, the states -- per preset -- of any and all IA Switches whose Axe-Fx IA function is set to "NONE"

You still get preset names, tuner, and all the other benefits.

Mix and match.

Good stuff. It doesn't seem to be documented as such, because the manual talks about "MFC" presets:

"Setting an Axe-Fx IA switch to “NONE” disables its Axe-Fx function and enables its “general use” MIDI commands (See section 0). Nothing prevents you from using General Use controlling the Axe-Fx; you will not get the dynamic LED functions offered by “native” Axe-Fx IAs, but you will be able to save the ON or OFF state of the switch in every individual MFC-101 preset, or use the switch as a Global IA. General use IA Switches are in fact perfect for use as Axe-Fx External Controllers. These can be assigned to operate a wide range of functions. See your Axe-Fx manual for more information on Modifiers and Controllers."

You do not need to take the MFC-101 out of Axe-Fx mode for this!

The MFC-101 will remember, and transmit to the Axe-Fx, the states -- per preset -- of any and all IA Switches whose Axe-Fx IA function is set to "NONE"

You still get preset names, tuner, and all the other benefits.

Mix and match.

That is not the only issue. It is when you want separate MFC preset to point 1 Axe-fx preset whos only difference is separate states. I don't want to pull the name from the axe-fx in this case. I want to name the preset myself.

For example:
MFC preset 1 points to axefx preset 234 (delay on, drive off) - named "song1 nodrv dly"
MFC preset 2 points to axefx preset 234 (delay off, drive on) - named "song1 drv nodly"
etc.
The program change mapping thing just doesn't work well for me with this because it get too crazy to try and manage and it still pulls the preset name from the axe-fx.

Simply having the MFC tuner and tempo available in no Axe-fx mode would immediately solve this for me.

Well that and being able to set the effect state to on = green, off= red, non existent = no light

Last edited:
I'm with everyone on this.

From the manual:

Whenever you load a new preset, the On/Off states of Axe-Fx IA switches are determined dynamically based what
is saved in the Axe-Fx, and shown on the LEDs of the MFC-101 to indicate what is found for the assigned effect:
GREEN=Effect Present & Active, RED=Effect Present & Bypassed, OFF=Effect Not Present in the current preset.

What I'd like to see is:

When you load a new preset the on/off states of the Axe-FX blocks are determined dynamically based on what is saved in the MFC-101.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom