Wish Ability to use Axe FX as a sound interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

oacikgoz

Inspired
Something like “limited mode”, which does not process any input signals, except say, from USB input, just to be used as a fancy sound card. Ideally with much lower power consumption so that you don’t feel bad about having it on for a long time.

Something like “limited mode”, which does not process any input signals, except say, from USB input, just to be used as a fancy sound card. Ideally with much lower power consumption so that you don’t feel bad about having it on for a long time.
We have that now, except for the lower-power part. Reducing the power consumption would require removal of circuitry, at which point you have... a sound interface. Which can be had for a whole lot less money. ;)

We have that now, except for the lower-power part. Reducing the power consumption would require removal of circuitry, at which point you have... a sound interface. Which can be had for a whole lot less money. ;)
Not sure I understand. CPU load and other type of internal processing determines power consumption. If you ask the CPU not to process incoming guitar signal, you’ll save a ton of power. You don’t have to remove any circuitry for that.

Not sure I understand. CPU load and other type of internal processing determines power consumption. If you ask the CPU not to process incoming guitar signal, you’ll save a ton of power. You don’t have to remove any circuitry for that.
To reduce CPU load can't you just create a preset with only the blocks you require (eg input from USB and output to monitors)?

Edit: Would this only require an OUT1 block?

Last edited:
To reduce CPU load can't you just create a preset with only the blocks you require (eg input from USB and output to monitors)?

Edit: Would this only require an OUT1 block?
I think it would still operate analog to digital converters that process the guitar input, which is additional power. Basically, all redundant tasks can be shut down by underlying software.

Something that’s triggered by instrument input is an option. If no instrument, kill all processes involving inp 1, no blocks, no compute, all bypassed only usb port and line out works.

Isn’t that a reasonable ask? Would work almost like a standby switch on an amp or true bypass on pedals.

In many cases the way to "shut down" a chip (or certain areas/functions within a chip) is to not provide power, hold it in reset or gate the clock which may or may not be under software control at the desired granularity.

In any case I think the power savings would be very little. I expect the front display uses more power than the ADC. Should there be options to disable the displays also? How about disabling the buttons, encoders and pedal inputs?

It sounds like a simple request but every little feature adds design and testing effort and ultimately introduces additional potential for bugs and additional points of failure. Personally I prioritize simplicity and reliability much higher than power savings in a device which is designed for use in live performance.

I don't see Fractal devoting development, testing, and PM resources to something like this. There are countless audio interface options available to you starting at under 30 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom