Wish Ability to select whether layouts are per preset or global.

You're defining the PP# slots for each preset, the Per Preset layout itself is global.

You'll have to define the changing switch functions you want for every single preset either way. There's no getting around that unless you just use regular static switch functions. You can mix and match switch types in any layout. There's nothing keeping you from putting static switches for the effects that are in every preset in that Per Preset layout. That would keep you from having to define the same switches over and over again in each preset.
That would work but whoever I build a new preset the Per Preset layout is blank and I have to build it from scratch.

Layouts are global. Those layouts take storage on the unit. You are asking for layouts to be per-preset, so now you need 512 times as much storage.

If I understand correctly, you're using the same layout (Per Preset) for all presets, correct? That's still a single layout...
Yes I am.

That would work but whoever I build a new preset the Per Preset layout is blank and I have to build it from scratch.
If you mostly use the same switches except for a few changes depending on the preset, just set the “mostly same switches” directly in the layout, and use per preset or overrides on the few that change.

You can mix and match any type of switch you want. Layout 6 doesn’t have to be all per preset just because the title says it.

The 'Per-Preset' layout is a cool addition. If you only use a few presets then it works great.

If you setup a Layout that covers most of your needs and have a bunch of presets and you want to have a special switch or two here and there. The 'Per-Preset Overrides' is a great option and less work, as you only have to edit a switch or two in some presets.

Edit... Chris beat me.

Ok. Thanks guys! That’s what I was looking for. Now I just have to figure out how to do it.

In my case... I have an FC6. I started with the Scenes layout. I typically use 4 scenes per song/preset. The most I ever use in one song is 6.

So I could have the 4 scenes on that layout. Switches 1 thru 4 have no 'Hold' function so that they will fire off when the switch is pressed (not when they are released). Switches 5 and 6 (which are seldom used) could have one 'Hold' function for going to the 'Preset' Layout. and one for Tap Tempo/Tuner. On a few presets, I could have a 'Per-Preset Override' or two, on the Tap function of switch 5 and/or 6. Scene 5, Scene 6, a momentary Control Switch, an effect on/off, etc.... In those scenarios, I may loose the Tap Tempo, but the 'Hold' functions on those two switches (Presets Layout and Tuner) still work.

I have 'Layout Links' setup on all of the 'Preset' switches in the 'Presets' Layout that will take me directly to my edited Scenes Layout as soon as I select any preset while in the 'Presets' Layout.

Last edited:
The 'Per-Preset' layout is a cool addition. If you only use a few presets then it works great.

If you setup a Layout that covers most of your needs and have a bunch of presets and you want to have a special switch or two here and there. The 'Per-Preset Overrides' is a great option and less work, as you only have to edit a switch or two in some presets.

Edit... Chris beat me.
That's what I do. Two standard layouts, with occasional non-standard switches if I want an effect available that's not one of my usuals. Works great.

My biggest problem is wanting more switches, with dynamic labels, but not another FC's size or weight.

i just made a video about this topic, hopefully it can help:

Hey Chris, question about this. I mainly use a One preset, several scenes, and several effects rig. So my layouts switch between scene selection and effects selection. I’ve wanted to experiment and expand a bit. With Per Preset overrides, is it possible for my layout to show 4 scenes from 1 global preset, and then have two switches that act as per preset overrides to specific scenes from different presets? and then be able to switch back to the scenes of the main preset. Is this possible? Or will the unit not mix global and per preset functions?

Hey Chris, question about this. I mainly use a One preset, several scenes, and several effects rig. So my layouts switch between scene selection and effects selection. I’ve wanted to experiment and expand a bit. With Per Preset overrides, is it possible for my layout to show 4 scenes from 1 global preset, and then have two switches that act as per preset overrides to specific scenes from different presets? and then be able to switch back to the scenes of the main preset. Is this possible? Or will the unit not mix global and per preset functions?
Any switch can perform any function.

On a layout, that can be global or a per-preset override or a per-preset placeholder.

Create a layout to suit your needs.

Any preset can override any switches on any layout (up to 24 switches).

Any switch can perform any function.

On a layout, that can be global or a per-preset override or a per-preset placeholder.

Create a layout to suit your needs.

Any preset can override any switches on any layout (up to 24 switches).
I get that any preset can override any switches. But switches have inherent functions with unique jobs. I understand I can use a per preset over ride to get to a different location, but I’ve been unsuccessful with my original scene buttons taking me back to the initial scene. Was I confusing in the way I explained my issue?

I get that any preset can override any switches. But switches have inherent functions with unique jobs. I understand I can use a per preset over ride to get to a different location, but I’ve been unsuccessful with my original scene buttons taking me back to the initial scene. Was I confusing in the way I explained my issue?
Scene switches apply to the preset you're in. They're never going to take you to another preset - their job is to change scenes.

I didn't quite catch the full meaning of your post before.

Scene switches apply to the preset you're in. They're never going to take you to another preset - their job is to change scenes.

I didn't quite catch the full meaning of your post before.
Let me try again. I’m not near my fm9 or else I’d share my layouts. Pretend you’re looking at a fm9 and the 6 buttons to the right (2 rows of 3). Now let’s say those are all scenes. So 6 scenes of 1 preset. Those buttons only have tap functions to change the scene. Let’s say I wanted to take two of those buttons and use them to get to specific scenes of other presets because they have a specific effect or something I can’t fit into my main preset. Could per preset override switches take me to that scene? If yes, could I still have my other 4 scene buttons take me back to original preset?

Scene switches will only select scenes in the current preset. Preset switches will let you switch presets, but not select a particular scene. They will always load that preset's default scene.

If you define the presets and scenes you want to switch to a section of a song in the Setlist feature, you could use a Song select or Inc/Dec button to switch to a different preset and scene with one press.

Last edited:
Scene switches will only select scenes in the current preset. Preset switches will let you switch presets, but not select a particular scene. They will always load that preset's default scene.

If you define the presets and scenes you want to switch to a section of a song in the Setlist feature, you could use a Song select or Inc/Dec button to switch to a different preset and scene with one press.
I’m aware of that option, but from what I’ve gathered, it seems that the audible gap amongst the song sections from different presets will be longer than just scenes from 1 preset. It seems like my only option is to use my scenes layout as is, and then build two separate presets with one scene and just go to them when needed. It will work, but there’s room for efficiency there

I’m aware of that option, but from what I’ve gathered, it seems that the audible gap amongst the song sections from different presets will be longer than just scenes from 1 preset. It seems like my only option is to use my scenes layout as is, and then build two separate presets with one scene and just go to them when needed. It will work, but there’s room for efficiency there
I feel like you're thinking a button to change between a scene in 1 preset and a scene in another preset would not have a gap, but a song section doing the same thing would. Maybe that's not what you mean?

In any case, you have to change presets to get to that other scene and that will have a gap.

You can do that with setlist functionality...

You could also do that with PC Mapping, but that's a different story.

Technically you can do what you want, you have to use a per preset placeholder to select the preset you want, then make the scene you want to switch to the default scene in that preset. You will have an audio gap though...

Technically you can do what you want, you have to use a per preset placeholder to select the preset you want, then make the scene you want to switch to the default scene in that preset. You will have an audio gap though...
True... Although that's just a preset change :)

But it will accomplish what's needed.

It might require a number of basically duplicate presets, though...

And it also requires you to use the "as saved" option for Default Scene, or else potentially rearranging scenes in the other presets to get the one you want on your default scene.

Back
Top Bottom