A

I'm a major fan, and practitioner, of plugging straight in and letting the guitar and amp talk.

When I was building my own I was happy to say the cable was my only effect lol. Eventually I got bored though and bought some pedals. Then I rebuilt one of my amps into something more pedal friendly. Settled on a jumped plexi based amp. And it was great. But then, since I crossed the line and had all the effects, I started looking at Fractal. Bought the FM3 and now I’m all digital. Haha this shit is funny to me. Went through the learning curve which many here helped me with, and learned how to dial my sounds in. Pretty happy with it. And I find it really does sound like a tube amp.

A custom esp arrow kind of thing it just has a tone zone in it, it’s a thrasher guitar I beat it

Why is it that the best guitars so often get beaten and thrashed, and the worst pampered, if touched at all???

Always make your own , never buy presets because they weren't made on your monitoring solution with you playing. If you do buy make sure that they provide you with one free sample to test that they work for your situation and sound like there sample or video . Anyone who doesn't do this don't buy from because if they worked the free sample would have you buying more not less.

Why is it that the best guitars so often get beaten and thrashed, and the worst pampered, if touched at all???
Not entirely true, a wooden musical instrument needs to vibrate across it whole range of frequencies to stay sounding good. Even a great guitar left unplayed will start sounding dead. The good thing is that if you play across the whole neck frequently you can bring it back.

Not entirely true, a wooden musical instrument needs to vibrate across it whole range of frequencies to stay sounding good. Even a great guitar left unplayed will start sounding dead. The good thing is that if you play across the whole neck frequently you can bring it back.

I think we agreed. That the guitars that don't get played suffer for it, while the ones that do.... uhmmm... don't. :)

Oh Man, I'm so glad. That's really awesome to read that it hit you in a good way. This is making me want to reread it now.

It's a decade and an half old, but reads so relevant to me. Making me think of music in a different way.

It's weird in how it reminds of Fractal and updates/upgrades to modeling. Edison thought he nailed the
representation of live music and we all know it was less than accurate. I feel a similar vibe from modeling
and how it has evolved in these incremental improvements that approach a more accurate representation
of the real.... for lack of a better term. :)

I see he has a similar book on GPS and how it is making us geographically and directionally paralyzed. Gonna
snag that one next.

Here's an interview with him about the book too:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=105762127

I listened to that probably around the time it was released haha. I'm with you on the analogy of modeling. I feel really lucky to have been able to grab an AxeFX III, because I'm really not wanting for any gear outside of my guitar, and that's of course because of the insane accuracy, which of course just keeps getting better, even though I can never tell what could be wrong with any particular version.

I haven't read anything else by him (I've got a bunch of stuff to get through first, including a great biography of Sidney Lumet), but that GPS one is an interesting idea to explore. It's making me think of that group of people who do not use the concept of left and right at all, but instead use cardinal directions for everything. Talk about a sense of orientation.

and that's of course because of the insane accuracy, which of course just keeps getting better, even though I can never tell what could be wrong with any particular version.

That's what is such a captivating topic for me. I wonder how much of it is cultural, and all of us sort of
being different drops of water encapsulated in/as the same wave. I don't know.

I do know that with each successive step (from Edison and the exceedingly narrow fidelity of those initial
recordings on) those who hear the representation of the real think it is utterly miraculous and perfect. But
those who have access to the various iterations can hear in hindsight that it was not. :)

Makes me wonder if reality itself will be outdone by its own representations. More real than real, eh? :)

Back
Top Bottom