A word on how different guitars and pickups interact with the Axe-Fx...

After reading through many threads about topics relating to how presets and patches sound through different individuals setups, I thought it was worth reiterating how different guitars and pickups can have an extreme influence on the end tone. I have recently been using an Artist Series Eric Clapton Stratocaster into the Axe II. This is a pretty unusual Strat setup when taking into account the active mid boost and TBX circuits. I am able to run the gamut of tones from sharp, treble heavy single coil tones to to full rounded chime to woody, humbuckeresque grind. It is a very useful tone tool and gives me the opportunity to adjust tone/volume/boost to suit the intended use of different patches. I have been blown away by the factory presets that I uploaded for Ver. 2.0. I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the fact that I can adjust my guitar's tonal characteristics with the turn of a few knobs or flick of a switch. If I had a Standard Strat with regular single coils, I think I could rule out using many of the patches because they might have been built using humbuckers as a reference. The detail of the tone produced by the Axe II makes everything you put into the input come out of the outputs. On patches set to the edge of breakup, I can get the tone to replicate a tube amp with insane realism. If I play with the pads of my fingers I can get a nice smooth, ringing clean tone, then I can dig in a bit with the pick and push the same tone over the edge. The volume knob/input level settings are essential to aquiring the tone I am after. The difference between having my volume knob at 5 and then rolling it to max is a drastic tonal change.
What a cool piece of equipment. Years ago when I bought my first multi-effect unit (Digitech RP2000) I couldn't imagine that a digital unit could get as good as The Axe-Fx. I couldn't be happier with a piece of gear. I'm a total fanboi and proud of it.

I had the same experience with the 2.0 factory patches 1-49. Outstanding tone / feel will all my guitars. In fact, I stayed on factory patch 002 for about an hour when I first flashed 2.0 :)

I'm running the Axe II DI into the desk and am listening in front of the FOH for test.

I bring the master fader of the desk up until the SPL measures around 90db weighted.

Richard

Last edited:
It's funny that you mention this.

I'm fairly new with my Axe II and have primarily been playing with my American Deluxe Tele...and everything has been great. Last night, I played around w/ my standard Tele with more vintage pickups and found that I was less impress (I realize I just need to edit the patches, I'm not worried). It is interesting to me just how particular the Axe is. Also, I have found the opposite to be true with my Bad Cat Black Cat...it only likes the American Deluxe Tele when it has brand new strings.

I'm guessing a slight boost is all it will take to make the Axe play nice with the vitange pickups in each patch.

I have been playing my 335 through the Axe II and it sounds fantastic. I plug in my Suhr Modern and I can't get a bad sound, it is unbelievable how good it sounds! They both sound great but there is such a huge difference in how the patches act and sound. I have a Godin LGX-SA and I have been somewhat underwhelmed on my VG-99 but it totally rocks on the Axe. By mixing in a little of the Piezo on some of the cleaner stuff, it sounds so good.

Good Tones Ahead!

My experience is sim ilar-I am a Stra person from way back. My 89 with Fralin Vintage Hots is my fav guiter. But my 2008 deluxe with SCN's (which many Start fans say are too compressed and too clean) sound great because with the S-1 switchimng I can jump from patch to patch and get in the game pretty easily. I have to work at getting my 89 Strat and my Tele cooking with the axe II now, Ultra before. But no more than normal I think. but the Deluxe is easy to zip thru presets and edit to taste.

It's funny that you mention this.

I'm fairly new with my Axe II and have primarily been playing with my American Deluxe Tele...and everything has been great. Last night, I played around w/ my standard Tele with more vintage pickups and found that I was less impress (I realize I just need to edit the patches, I'm not worried). It is interesting to me just how particular the Axe is. Also, I have found the opposite to be true with my Bad Cat Black Cat...it only likes the American Deluxe Tele when it has brand new strings.

I'm guessing a slight boost is all it will take to make the Axe play nice with the vitange pickups in each patch.

I've found with my Ultra in the past and AXeII now with my vint strat and Tele I really need to lose the high end. But this makes perfect sense-to me anyway.

Last edited:
On the Ultra I'd adjust the Input gain higher for vintage style single coil pickups up to 3:00, instead of 2:00...that helped

Back
Top Bottom