A story about hacking a guitar pick

For whatever reason, I never tried the Dunlop Stubbies.
Many years ago I met another young guitarist who worked at Dunlop (they're about 30 miles from where I live).

He gave me a few 3mm Stubby picks before they were actually released as a product. I got hooked on them... And then couldn't find them. He gave me a few more that lasted until they were released and the "local" Guitar Center started carrying them.

I used them for a number of years and then they kind of went away so I had to find something else, eventually choosing the Tortex Jazz 1mm that I used until a few years ago when the other guitarist in my band gave me a John Petrucci Jazz pick. Now I vacillate between those 2...

Maybe I'll pick up a few Stubby picks and try them again... Probably would go with the 1mm though.

Hey there @unix-guy

These picks, I had them several years ago and never played them anymore. Back then I bought this pick because I thought I could hold it because of the pre-defined dented shape it has.
Just forgot that on sweatty hands I loose my grip and thats the reason I didnt use them anymore.

It is a great pick, plays very well.

Now I switch between the 2 and 3 mm. On thicker strings the 3mm plays and sounds great.

The JP Trinity picks are my absolute favorite to play with. Good size and endurance, they last quite some time.
The Stubby is just different and gives a "flex" to my playing.. can't explain exactly but it works for me.

Cheers 🍻

I met Les Paul in the 90s after a show at the Iridium and asked what kind of picks he used. He made his own out of thick plexiglass, and glued sandpaper to the sides so that he didn't drop it. He let me hold it, and I remember it being pretty crude looking and substantial.

I met Les Paul in the 90s after a show at the Iridium and asked what kind of picks he used. He made his own out of thick plexiglass, and glued sandpaper to the sides so that he didn't drop it. He let me hold it, and I remember it being pretty crude looking and substantial.
Thats awesome info... sandpaper will do the trick for sure. Good grip.

I try to get my hands on my daughter's earring. It is standard metal and has a peace-sign shape. I am planning to put it in my solder iron and then stamp the pick. Hope it works, should give some more grip and could look nice.

The Big Stubbies just arrived. And, I am surprisingly impressed. They feel great! I was very surprised at how easily they glide over the strings. The only worry for me right now is that they are brighter and they can bring out some ringing out with brighter sounds and reverbs. But, I will be using them and finding out how well they might work for me in the long run.

Oddly, the Stubbies I ordered are made out of Nylon. I didn't even know a Nylon Stubby existed. So far, the standard 351 size at 3.0mm is my favorite. The material feels great.

I also ordered one of the UHMW-PE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) picks. However, the 3mm Nylon Stubby feels better, sounds better and glides better over the strings than the UHMW-PE pick -- in my 5 minutes of deep-level experience here.

I won't be giving the UHMW-PE pick a test run. But, I will be trying out the 3.0mm Nylon Stubby and going it serious consideration. This is the first pick to capture my interest since the Gravity Classic.

So far, in my life:
Tortoise Shell (in the early 70's,) Celluloid, Tortex, Ultex, Primetone, various JP ultex, Blue Chip, Gravity Classic and now maybe Stubby Nylons. Even if it doesn't become my main pick. I expect it will always have a place. We will see.

I might try to shape the pick and see if that is possible. But, usually Nylon galls up and does not sand or polish up well. But, who knows with modern materials.

Well, after several hours of playing, still very happy with the 3mm Nylon Stubby. It actually feels easier to play with, more string glide, easier to play faster, and easier to sweep, than the Bluechip. That surprises me. I would probably still prefer the Blue chip on an acoustic due to it's strong but very noiseless attack. Flatpickers and Jazz guys, more than others, especially like the Bluechip pick for that reason.

But, yeah, the Nylon Stubby is the only new pick I have really liked in a while.

A lot of famous players use nylon picks (Herco, JazzIII.)

Eric Johnson, Joe Bonomassa, Jimmy Page, Joe Walsh, Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson, Pete Townshend, David Gilmour, Don Felder, Tommy Bolin, Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore, Chris Squire, The Edge, Neil Young...

I just never warmed up to the Herco or JazzIII -- I tried.

But, yeah, the Nylon Stubby impresses me. I wouldn't be surprised if sticks with me.

But, yeah, the Nylon Stubby impresses me. I wouldn't be surprised if sticks with me.
Hey there @Postretro

You sir, are very detailed and nice writing what makes it easy to read.

Good to hear the Stubby is doing it for you. I play with them sinds I got them. Switching between 2 and 3mm for the 6 and 8 string but overall 👌 very pleased with playing with the Stubby.

Still I am looking for a simple hack that can stop the swetty hand slippery.
I tried the earring and stamping with a solderiron method but end of the line, I am bying new earrings now.
Sandpaper is NOT my thing, it just wont stick on the pick after some time.
My latest tryout is with shrinktubing. This does work quitegood and makes it NON slippery.

20220424_104324.jpg

Next thing I will be searching for some rubber inner tubing of some sort. The Stubby's widest poind is 25.4mm so innersize 25mm rubber is what I am looking for.

20220424_105702.jpg

If you have ANY tips on the rubber, they are very welcome sir 😉

Cheers 🍻

Really cool to see all the ways to make perfect pick !

I've been using big 2mm Stubby for a few years but always come back to the dunlop m3, the curve and thickness suits me perfectly.

For a perfect fit I use fast drying epoxy glue which I put on both sides, after a few minutes when the glue is almost dry I wet my fingers in a mixture of water and washing up liquid and take the pick and press firmly to give it the exact shape of my fingers. It never slips and the fit is perfect👌🏻

IMG_20220424_113337.jpgIMG_20220424_113619.jpgIMG_20220424_113444.jpg

Really cool to see all the ways to make perfect pick !

For a perfect fit I use fast drying epoxy glue which I put on both sides, after a few minutes when the glue is almost dry I wet my fingers in a mixture of water and washing up liquid and take the pick and press firmly to give it the exact shape of my fingers. It never slips and the fit is perfect👌🏻
Hey there @Maxsound1977

That is a very clever hack 👌. So any fastdry will do? Can you give me your product name, I will search for it.

Thanx in advance

Cheers 🍻

Hey there @Maxsound1977

That is a very clever hack 👌. So any fastdry will do? Can you give me your product name, I will search for it.

Thanx in advance

Cheers 🍻

Salut @Maxsound1977

C'est un hack très intelligent 👌. Alors n'importe quel fastdry fera l'affaire ? Pouvez-vous me donner le nom de votre produit, je vais le rechercher.

Merci d'avance

Acc
Thanks for the comment man! Any fast-drying two-component epoxy glue is suitable.

I've always done this, example for epoxy 5 min.
step 1 mix the two parts, I wait about 2 minutes and I apply it on the pick.

step 2.. i make sure the glue stays where i put it, so i flip the pick often,

To find out if I can now put my fingers on it I test the remaining glue on the work surface, the one that has not been used, always with wet fingers with water, dishwashing liquid and when it can be molded I support.
The glue will remain quite malleable a few minutes after pressing, you can still rework! always wet fingers! and pop, a custom pick!
I'm not claiming this is the best solution, but its working for me!🍻

IMG_20220424_134918.jpg

Hey there

The shrinktube works amazing on the pics. It gets warm when you play and then it gets somewhat soft(er) and that gives a great grip. The material forms itself better to your fingers and around the pick. Now the pick doesnt move at all while playing.

My conclusion for the 2 or 3mm big stubby:
10mm drill hole in the centre + Shrinktubing on top = Ready to rock 🤘

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Just perfect! I dont need to drill the hole anymore :)
Just shrink the tube over the pick and then cut it. The tube forms totally to the pick so it is tight around it. Start at the point and then heat it up around the pick.
When playing the material softens a bit so it forms to your grip.

20220425_214251.jpg

Cheers 🍻

What a creative idea! I wouldn't have thought of it, I usually use a wooden one to keep the plectrum from falling out of my sweaty hand, and it's important not using glossy one.

Back
Top Bottom