A Star Is Born did a great job promoting hearing conservation

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Great movie, really good performances in which Bradley and Lady Gaga (naturally) did their own singing and had really authentic chemistry.

Not to give anything away as far as the story, but, have to say I really liked the attention Bradley Cooper devoted to hearing health, actually having his real life ear doctor cameo in the movie testing his hearing even.

Most of the regulars here are probably sick of me always pushing hearing proetection for musicians, but as an audiologist, it’s what I do lol.

I think this movie really helps drive that point home though, with his character wanting his monitors louder, not wanting to try IEM’s. I think a lot of folks who are musicians will relate.

Not really part of the overall story, and he could of left those parts out, but Bradley Cooper felt it was an important message, which it is, so nice to see it tackled and done accurately.

Odd that you picked this to highlight! But message received!

I have not seen it, but I've heard from reliable musicians that this is an excellent movie. I REALLY look forward to seeing it. I'm told that Brad did a year + of singing and guitar lessons to play the part, and was the only one who believed in Gaga's potential in this role.

And everyone knows the story. The butler did it.

Well as I said, I’m a doctor of Audiology as my day job, and a lifetime musician as my passion, so hearing conservation, especially for musicians is a big part of what I’m about.

See too many patients every day with noise related hearing loss, including lots of musicians, so the more ways we can promote hearing health, the better.

When someone like Bradley Cooper, who has a massive audience, also helps with that message, better still

I’ve been reminding folks to wear hearing protection during rehearsals as well. The most common complaint I hear is “it’s uncomfortable”. I guess they think tinnitus will be “comfortable” somehow.

I’ve been reminding folks to wear hearing protection during rehearsals as well. The most common complaint I hear is “it’s uncomfortable”. I guess they think tinnitus will be “comfortable” somehow.

My excuse was always 'I paid x number of euros for my rig, I want to hear it, dammit!' And plugs always seemed to muffle the sound.

Although the last time my old band got together we tried a silent rehearsal. Everybody on IEM's. I had a Behringer X-18 mixer, my Axe-FX directly into the mixer, bass player into a Sansamp DI, keyboards directly too, the vocalist's amp with a mic shielded away in a corner, 4 mic setup for the drums. It was a lot of work, and it sounded like pants because I had to re-invent the wheel myself. The bass player hated it because he didn't feel air moving and missed the interaction with the others. The singer loved it though, as he could finally hear his own vocals. And didn't got hit all the time by the bass player's amp.

Don’t know about you, but I think it’s easier to hear my rig at lower SPL, too. In a small room a loud drummer can easily ensure you’ll not hear all those awesome nuances that you’ve paid for.

This happens at shows sometimes. I started really being anal about hearing protection after having to get up and leave 15 minutes into a Joe Satriani show. The volume level was such that I could only hear ringing in my ears and feel their bass drum with my guts. So now I always have a pair of Etymotic plugs in the glove box of my car.

I started wearing some Westone’s I got fitted for and they are great. I also keep some Eargasms hooked to my keychain.

Dear Doctor @lqdsnddist,

My 19 year old son uses regular IEM earbuds and would like to eventually get some Custom IEM's made. However, we were told to wait until he's 21 because his ear canals are still forming. What should we do?

-Confused in NC.

Dear Doctor @lqdsnddist,

My 19 year old son uses regular IEM earbuds and would like to eventually get some Custom IEM's made. However, we were told to wait until he's 21 because his ear canals are still forming. What should we do?

-Confused in NC.

I’ve personally never heard that, or come across it. I think the boney structures of the skull are pretty well formed by even 19. Now with younger kids, early teens, I have seen hearing aid molds they got when they were like 11 fit loose after a few years, but waiting til 21? New one to me...

Keep in mind too that most of the EAC, where the molds basically sit is cartilage too, not really doing super deep 2nd bend impressions

I have seen molds not fit after massive weight gain or loss, as it can affect even your ear canals, but that is a different issue again than going from 19 to 21....

I see plenty of teenage pop stars with IEM’s and don’t think they all replace them at 21, but they’ve got the money of course lol.

Biggest issue I see with fit is doing a jaw closed impression and then if the patient sings the molds don’t fit right with an open jaw, as it sometimes changes the size of the ear canal.

Don’t want to have you come back and yell at me in 2 years, but I think you’d be okay investing now. 2 years of hearing conservation goes a long way.

Too many years of Marshall stacks, heavy hitting drummers (arrrggg the snare owww, the cymbals nooooo), concerts, gigs, and jamming until the sun comes up have given me mild tinnitus/ringing. I bought molded musicians plugs in the early 90's and they were one of the best investments I ever made. I carry them constantly when I go to shows just in case.

My current rock band rehearses fairly quietly with an electronic drum kit, and when we do shows we crank but the drummer is very dynamic and isn't a basher...and I've always set my stage volume by the 'loudness' of the drummer so the levels are not too crazy..

So, always blame the drummer, or the bass player who wears 'full-stop' earplugs and brings out SVT head/bottom :confused:, for when things go awry with the levels heh.

Definitely take care of your hearing

Back
Top Bottom