A sort of rectification regarding the Axe FX vs the B9 and C9.

Will Schut

Experienced
A sort of rectification might be in order and here’s why:

When I do a clinic, I play an Axe Fx with an EH B9 and C9 in the loop. On many occasions people asked me why I had the B9 and C9 there, could they do stuff the Axe just couldn’t?

My answer (over the PA system sof or everyone to hear no less) was always: Yes! They are completely different beasts. The Axe FX can do a lot, but it can’t produce the sounds the B9 and C9 can.

Well, I’m not so sure anymore.

After hearing some patches constructed bij people like Simeon, Yek , M@, NeoSound and Fotozvuk (as posted on this forum) I’m beginning to think that the Axe FX is more or less only limited by one’s imagination and abilities. Now I’ve analysed the aforementioned patches and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m nowehere near capable of dialing in these kind of sounds, so lots of kuddos to those who can and, moreover, are willing the share them on this forum.

Long story short, next clinic the B9 and C9 are staying at home. The Axe FX can absolutely create the sounds that I used to get from the B9 and C9. Maybe not all of the sounds available in the B9 and C9, but sure enough the ones I want.

Man oh man, the Axe FX is one hell of a machine when put into the right hands…..

I would think that there is some value to the Axe maybe not sounding exactly like the EHX pedals. They are fine and good at what they do, but at the same time, you pretty much know that sound anytime a guitarist has one on their board.

Axe might get into the same ballpark, but leave people wondering "what pedal was that?" which is probably a good thing

Part of the trick in figuring out why pedals sound the way they do for modeling purposes. Is to know what is going on approximately to produce said effect. Once you have an understanding of that, it becomes much easier to recreate said pedal. In some cases its a series of effects together.

Wow, that's wonderful to read this, especially because I took a beating when I said that imagination was one's best tool when using a system like ours. I'm happy to help whenever I can.

Back
Top Bottom