A quick hello/intoduction of a newly infected

Solarfire

Experienced
Just a quick hello and introduction to everyone here. I’m 53 years old, bin playing guitar for 40+ years and I come out of the hard core tube amp fraction. Even most tube amps out there couldn’t satisfy my interpretation of the holy grail of tone. Being electronics engineer I started modifying, and after a while, developed my own tube amps (hand wired). Since about 2006, with increasing frequency, the name Fractal Audio kept getting louder and louder in the music scene, until now where curiosity got the best of me. Having had some (relatively disappointing) modelling equipment in the past, like the Line 6 POD X3 Pro, I’m going into this with some scepticism and high expectations. For almost 6 months now I’ve been reading countless reviews and listening to equally countless sample files until finally giving in. Yeah… the Axe-Fx bug has infected me and at this very moment I’m eagerly awaiting for the UPS guy to finally fork over my virgin Axe-Fx II. This will be mainly used in a studio environment with a Carver TFM-42 power amp driving a set of JBL L100 monitors. Anyone who knows these 2 components also knows there are 2 legends at work here and I’m hoping and guessing, that the Axe will harmonize with these, also in a very own legendary way. Looking forward to future discussions with you all here.

Cheers!

I think you absolutely won't regret your purchase. Since you are technically schooled and know how tube amps work, you will be positively surprised by the tweakability of the Axe-Fx II. For instance: you can chance the capacitor value for the bright switch to different pF-values! You'll have a blast. ;)

From what I've gathered out of the users’ manual so far the axe appears to be a tweakers paradise. The technically inclined can really unfold here.

We're counting on you as one of the main core amp & mod gurus :p

They're also working on a way to insert your own amp schematic from scratch, but I'm not sure if that will still fit this model after all the tone modeling stuff and space they might wanna keep reserved for applications everyone can use.

They're also working on a way to insert your own amp schematic from scratch, but I'm not sure if that will still fit this model after all the tone modeling stuff and space they might wanna keep reserved for applications everyone can use.

Are you serious? That would be an awesome feature but I think there would only be a hand full of users with an adequate technical background that could actually make use of it. Got any idea on what data input this would be based on, something like Spice models used in E-Circuit simulation? Or would there be something like a FAS own CAD developed to implement schematics?

It's from the horse's mouth. Last time he spoke about it was something to do with the difficulty of the interface or something and that he was fooling around with it. It was also text based or something. That's like 2 to 5 months ago (maybe in one of the deleted Kemper threads). I can't find it back in my notes, sorry... It was before the tone matching block got serious and the v6 update consumed all of his time, I'd guess.
It should still be vaguely in the works, but like I said, my feeling is we already have to be careful how available memory is spent and it might not happen this time.
Great as it would be for some, I would also agree there are more important things to do first.

Welcome to the family of "used to live/die by glowing glass, found there is more than one way" players! Many of us were hard core tube players, still love tube amps, but have transitioned partially or completely to the Axe Fx and never looked back. I can say that, if you have even half of the success I've had integrating mine into my playing environment, you will consider it one of the better musical investments you've ever made. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom