A question regarding tone matched amps in 6.0

themaidenmaniac

Experienced
Guys,

If Cliff has already tone matched the amps in the amp block with the real deal, then why are these tone matched amps that are springing up sounding so much thicker? (in all fairness, referring mostly to the Mark V thread here, but still)

Has it been done in a different way? Is there any point in me buying a power soaker and matching my own 5150?

Cheers : )

Personally I find the amp matching produces a thicker tone, especially when using a power amp and cab. Why Ive no idea.
So far Ive tested with a plexi, a JCM800 and a couple of amps which don't have exact matches in the axefx (Marshall afd and evh 5150 Mk 3). They all sound pretty much just like the real amps do.
I have to say though that at volume the difference becomes negligible, it is much more noticeable at low volumes.

The spectrum coming from the speaker output will be different if you connect a power soak instead of a speaker.
If you wanna do it correct you should have the speaker connected and attenuate the signal (to the right level) going into the axe.

Guys,

If Cliff has already tone matched the amps in the amp block with the real deal, then why are these tone matched amps that are springing up sounding so much thicker? (in all fairness, referring mostly to the Mark V thread here, but still)

Has it been done in a different way? Is there any point in me buying a power soaker and matching my own 5150?

Cheers : )

Personally I find the amp matching produces a thicker tone, especially when using a power amp and cab. Why Ive no idea.
So far Ive tested with a plexi, a JCM800 and a couple of amps which don't have exact matches in the axefx (Marshall afd and evh 5150 Mk 3). They all sound pretty much just like the real amps do.
I have to say though that at volume the difference becomes negligible, it is much more noticeable at low volumes.

You have a Marshall AFD Tonematch patch?! please share it yoooo!!!

Dependes on how the factory amp is eq'd. You could make any patch sound like a tone matched amp if you knew the frequencies to adjust. Give a Mark V to ten guitarists, let them set it, come back in an hour and no two will sound the same.

When tone matching an amp wouldnt it be better to set the real amp with all EQ at 12:00 and the AXE-FX II model also at 12:00?

Back
Top Bottom