A question (help) from the DAW experts

Oh yeah. Snap to grid. But you need to line up the click visually. You'll see the audio click. Drag it to line up with the recorded click on the adjacent track.

I start each project with a MIDI click track. Count in 4 (or whatever). Trim the excess intro on the backing track and align to snare drum transients. The cool thing about karaoke-version is that is a count/click track included if you buy the multi track version so they are easily aligned. The uncool thing about that particular song is that the tempo is variable. So it will align to grid for a while but it's going to wander.

I have overcome that by beat mapping if alignment is critical.

I think you're over thinking this and making it harder than it is

If each track has a count in... just edit the count in-
copy and paste it twice if its just one bar...
If there's a grace note just take half a measure and edit it in...

Any wave editor can do it...

I don't think you need to be playing back multi track files- edit down the tracks you need- make it mono or stereo-
wave edit the count ins- done.

if they have count ins you have plenty to do it with each track

If you want a click the entire song it's a different story, getting them to line up right the entire song may be impossible in some instances and not worth the trouble.

I was able to get it worked out. I used the metronome in the DAW to create a 2 measure count in. I then drag all the tracks into the grids and mute them until I get the click track that karaoke version supply's with each backing track lined up. This has to be eye balled as one of the other guys mentioned in the first page. Once you have the count in and the click track matched up you can then drag the drums and bass etc.

I have found that if the drums come in first then go ahead and line that track up with the click track first and work back wards for me that is the easier way. Then you can match up all the tracks to makes sure the backing track works like it should. I go ahead and put every track in the DAW even if I'm not going to use that track live. That way I can make sure the song sounds right.

I want to again thank everyone for their insight in how to do this. Not knowing all the lingo really made it hard to search for the answers I needed. I knew if I posted here thee would be a few of you guys that would be able to figure out what the heck I was talking about. So again thanks!

Back
Top Bottom