A question about EMG pickups and red input lights....

In my experience every guitar is different, even if using the same pickups.

For example, these are my settings for some of my guitar's so it "tickles the reds"

2014 ESP EII MII - EMG 81/81 - input @ 25%
2009 Ltd M1000M - EMG 81/81 - input @ 45%
2002 Ltd M1000 - EMG 81/81 - input @60%
2007 BC Rich Jr V - EMG 81/60 input @ 30%
2010 Ltd EC-CZ (EC500) EMG 81/85 - input @ 70%
2002 Gibson Les Paul STD - Seymour Duncans custom SH-1/SH-5 - input @ 50%
2011 Fender Strat - EMG-SAV set - input @ 90%

Kind of makes you wonder about using a traditional amp with no way to adjust the input signal huh?

In my experience every guitar is different, even if using the same pickups.

For example, these are my settings for some of my guitar's so it "tickles the reds"

2014 ESP EII MII - EMG 81/81 - input @ 25%
2009 Ltd M1000M - EMG 81/81 - input @ 45%
2002 Ltd M1000 - EMG 81/81 - input @60%
2007 BC Rich Jr V - EMG 81/60 input @ 30%
2010 Ltd EC-CZ (EC500) EMG 81/85 - input @ 70%
2002 Gibson Les Paul STD - Seymour Duncans custom SH-1/SH-5 - input @ 50%
2011 Fender Strat - EMG-SAV set - input @ 90%

Kind of makes you wonder about using a traditional amp with no way to adjust the input signal huh?

Yeah, no kidding. Mine's a Schecter Hellraiser. I've gotta turn it down 30% lower than you 81/85 combo. That's crazy.

I'm on 26% input gain for my EMG 81-85 loaded PRS Torero using a Klotz Funkmaster cable.

The red lights flicker occasionally when I really whack an open chord hard, this is how I set it for all of my guitars.

I only just bought the guitar second hand and I have just decided the pickups are almost definitely displaying microphonic feedback so maybe I'm not in the best position to comment right now.

EDIT: I use Roto Greys 13-54 and tune down to A#.

Last edited:
I just contacted a guitar tech. He seems to think both are microphonic. What are the chances of that? :/

EDIT: Got a new EMG 81 .... still squealing. Still no strings on the guitar

:mad:

Last edited:
Ok, so it took a little while longer to test things out but here is my report back from the front. The way my axe WAS running: input volume at 49.8% and was connected to the mixer via 2 XLRs that were running into mic pres. These channels had their inputs trimmed so that the Overload light just barely flashed (per the Mackie manual). The faders for those channels were set to unity and hard panned left/right.

I changed the input level to 35% and started running the 2 channels out via TRS to line inputs instead of XLR to attenuated mic pres. The results were stellar. The squealing went away and I can now use this guitar. The dropped input level did NOT effect my passive guitars even in the slightest (I read from Yek that you have to go either really high or low on this setting to actually audibly effect the tone). Changing the method it was connected to the mixer also made a major difference. I had to raise the output knobs on the on the axe itself and raise the overall mixer level to account for the -6db drop from not using XLR but overall the sound was much cleaner, less mud, better dynamics. The next step will be going back to using XLRs but with a XLR to TRS adapter at the end so I can still go into the line inputs and not lose the 6db.

I know that to some of you, these settings might be duh settings but they weren't for me. For one reason or another I missed them even though all of this stuff is in the manual so I am posting my findings in hopes that maybe some of you in this thread missed similar things.

Nope, because your high output guitars will still be hitting the (modeled) amp harder then the others. So it doesn't matter if you are using the real amp or the axe, the dynamic result will be the same.

The input setting are there to get a better SNR, there is no need to change it every time unless you are recording in a superduperpro situation... And maybe it's not needed even there...

The input virtual knobs do not affect how hard your guitar signal hit the grid.

Back
Top Bottom