A question about 2 guitars into 1 Axe FX?

Koop

Would it be possible to play 2 guitars into 1 Axe FX with an amp using the 4CM method on the left and a PA monitor on the right? I was fiddling with this yesterday and couldn't get it to work, so I was wondering if this is even possible?

Yes. If you can describe what you did or post a preset it would be easier to suggest further steps to take. If you've seen a tutorial (like chrisallen's) on running two guitars to In 1 L/R, you can start with that and use the FX Loop block instead of an amp block in one row, omitting the cab block as well. Balance the rows L/R at the output mixer, make sure Input 1 and Output 1 modes are stereo.

Well, the thing is, I'm trying to get a bass guitar to play through the PA on the left, and a guitar through a Fender amp on the right. Right now, I'm not even using the 4CM and I'm getting a signal through the amp with a cable running from the amp FX In into Output 2 L on the axe FX. When I remove the cable I get a bass sound through the PA but still no Guitar. The bass is going into Input 1 Left and the guitar is going into Input 1 Right. I got both instruments to play through the guitar amp, but I can't seem to get a stereo sound and pan them.

amp FX in isn't going INTO axe output 2.... output 2 is going into your amp fx in. it's confusing when you say it the other way. always follow the signal path when describing setup for less confusion.

output 2 on the axe fx produces signal only when you insert an Effects Loop Block in the preset, or if you have copy out1 to out2 on.

can you please list all your current settings in the I/O menu?

have you watched my tutorial here:

Axe-FX II – Using 2 guitars at once | Katsu Kuri Media Blog

If you change the connections so it's guitar using all left inputs/outputs, bass using all right inputs/outputs it might be slightly easier to think of the signal flow.

Make these settings in the I/O menu:

Input 1 mode: Stereo
Output 1 mode: Stereo
Input 2 mode: Left only
Output 2 mode: Stereo (in most cases this one won't really matter)
Copy Out 1 to 2: Off

Make these connections:

Guitar to In 1L
Out 2L to amp's instrument input
Amp's effects send to In 2L
Out 1L to amp's effects return

Bass to In 1R
Out 1R to input of PA system

This preset will work immediately with those settings/connections. Top row is for the guitar. Effects loop block is where the preamp will be in the signal chain. Bottom row is for the bass.

Attachments

• Gtr 4CM Left Bass Right.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom