A PRospective buyer asks - AX8 for recording and occasional live use

Jemwiz00

Hello world - I have been lurking here for a while and it may be time to finally to join the fold. I've been selling gear for what seems like forever to finance the purchase. Actually, I was one of the first to sign up for the AX8 waiting list - but then I dropped some significant money on a new amp in the meantime and was out of funds when my invite came. That's the problem with long wait times - us musicians are an impatient bunch. Anyway, here is my dilemma...I will be using the AX8 primarily for recording. I love the AX8 form factor and it seems much improved over the green screen of the AXII for my taste. I know that I would not have the functionality of the USB interface of the AXII - but that's a non issue for me as I already have a quality interface for my setup and do not regularly use re-amping in my work flow. Anyway - I've been torn between purchasing a new AX8 and a used AXII (due to price constraints). I don't think I would often use dual amps, so I would not miss that part of the AXII either. Plus when I do play out - I would not need to drop extra coin on an MFC. I do however already own a couple of FCB1010's so maybe that's not a big deciding factor. I already own some powered speakers and high end studio monitors for listening. Anyway, I was hoping someone here could give me their insight. Should I take the plunge on the AX8 and see if it meets my needs??

AX8 sounds great and will work for recording using SPDIF or analog. It's a great grab-and-go option for gigs.

You are right that you'd need a controller (and a rack case) for the AxeFx.

Sounds like an AX8 will work for what you describe.

You might want to look at the AXE FXII for recording. IMO the AX8 is intended more for for live use than the studio. But I am certain it would work for that purpose.

Thank you everyone- I feel the AX8 would most likely meet my needs. In a perfect world,I would purchase the AXII - but many of the additional features I don't need. If the AX8 would work best as a grab and go option for gigs I think I would be set up. I can't really afford all the extra controllers and rack case at the moment. (Unless I sell some more stuff)

I have recorded quite a lot with my Ax8. It lives beneath my desk mounted on my live board, so I can pack up and go in less than five minutes.

Ok - a little update. I've had the AX8 for almost a month now. I'm still learning quite a bit but the user interface is quite intuitive. I'm pretty experienced with menus and whatnot but it wasn't anywhere near the learning curve I expected. The AX8 was definitely the correct choice for anyone considering the original question I asked. I've been doing some recording direct to my MOTU interface into my Mac. I've also used it at band volume a couple times - once through my Mesa Mark V effects return and once through a small poweramp into my Mesa cab. Lots more tweaking I could do but pretty sweet tones right off the bat. Thanks all for your input! Rock on...

Back
Top Bottom