A Perfect Circle - Billy Howerdel's effect on the song THE HOLLOW

There's an Ebay auction up right now for an AxeFX Ultra with the following description:

Fractal Axe Fx Ultra with A Perfect Circle Live Presets
Unit comes with James Iha's Presets, and we'll also send you a sysex file with Billy Howerdel and Matt McJunkins' bass presets.

You might be able to contact the seller or the auction winner and see if they have a preset for or information about this song.

I am pretty sure I created that preset with Billy, but I simply can't REMEMBER what we did!!!

On the album it could have been an Octavia-like sound from the Lexicon he was using. It definitely sounds like some kind of octave/pitch thing, but smoother than any ring mods I have heard.

Sorry I didn't see this thread for a while. I can answer the OP's question, as I know Billy and have talked to him about this before.

It is in fact, a ring-mod combined with Billy's usual smattering of chorus/delay/reverb. On the album itself he used Pod Farm almost exclusively for the amp/cab and effects tones. So really it's nothing that special other than some very clever dialing in of Pod Farm.

His live tone is another thing entirely. I believe on the Mer De Noms tour he was using either a TC Electronic G-Force or an Eventide Orville for the ring mod. Nowadays he just uses an Axe-fx for all his effects. His live amp of course has always been the Friedman modded Marshall.

Back
Top Bottom