A little shreddy blues...

Hey, would you care to post the patch? i wouldnt mind checking the settings for your amp/pedals for that type of tone.

cool!

I like how you kept it all 'normal' for 60 secs and then all that legato stuff started flowing!
with your chops & a lower gain patch (Bassman and a P90 maybe) you could push it into a really nice SRV/Kotzen kinda thing - personally, I'd like that :) a lot!

one little thing I got from classes with Jon Finn at Berklee was to leave enough room after a cool lick to let the audience think "You're so cool, Joe Cool!" and then go on.
try it. it's silly, but it works.

also, if you would come in with the sweeps or arpeggios anywhere but on the '1' it'd give you a nice pull/tensions for the next chord until you resolve it.

would love to hear more.

p.s.
you might want to look into getting a bass. it's so much more satisfying to play on toip of a good bass groove that only a bass guitar can provide.
even a pitchshifted regular guitar adds more groove than a VSTi

Last edited:
Hey, would you care to post the patch? i wouldnt mind checking the settings for your amp/pedals for that type of tone.

Sure... I'm on firmware 10.03, though, so might not translate well to later firmware (haven't tried 11... I was in the process of retooling my patches when 11 came out and hadn't made the update). I've been away from the forum here for a while... Can I upload the patch directly here as a .syx? I don't use the Editor.

This is actually a pretty basic patch... only thing being used is amp simm, cab, a bit of echo, and some verb. Nothing fancy.

cool!

I like how you kept it all 'normal' for 60 secs and then all that legato stuff started flowing!
with your chops & a lower gain patch (Bassman and a P90 maybe) you could push it into a really nice SRV/Kotzen kinda thing - personally, I'd like that :) a lot!

one little thing I got from classes with Jon Finn at Berklee was to leave enough room after a cool lick to let the audience think "You're so cool, Joe Cool!" and then go on.
try it. it's silly, but it works.

also, if you would come in with the sweeps or arpeggios anywhere but on the '1' it'd give you a nice pull/tensions for the next chord until you resolve it.

would love to hear more.

p.s.
you might want to look into getting a bass. it's so much more satisfying to play on toip of a good bass groove that only a bass guitar can provide.
even a pitchshifted regular guitar adds more groove than a VSTi

Hi Don,

Thanks for the kind words! =-) Thanks also for the great input and advice... All very good suggestions. The guitar here was my '59 RI Les Paul (Gibson made custom for me as part of endorsement, but apart from being an exceptional specimen and a good weight, the configuration is same as stock--pickups, etc). I've got another lower gain patch that works well with my Strat... Might be more what you're talking about. Maybe I'll give that a shot next.

You're absolutely right about spacing between phrasing... I'm real rusty right now... Haven't played (except for a little acoustic for a couple hours) since before the Holidays. My phrasing and technique is still coming back. I know I overplayed, but I was having fun! LOL! You're also right about coming in at other points than the one... Guilty as charged! Hahaha! I know better, but as I said... Rusty and in hyper wanking mode! LOL!

In terms of the bass... I've thought about getting a good bass, but haven't gotten there yet. My gear funds keep going elsewhere it seems (on the list for a Bludotone Ojai and building a Plexi Super Lead from parts). I normally program better bass and drums, but I did this all in a few hours. Good points, though... I'm sure a real bass in my hands would deliver a different feel.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom