A little pedal help, please

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I have 3 Ernie Ball volume pedals. I used to use them as 'expression' pedals with my old MIDI setup, but am not sure that they are right for the job here. I have tried taking a traditional insert cable (1/4" TRS to a 1/4" TS and 1/4" RS). I tried by inserting the send line into the input of the pedal, and the return line to the output of the pedal. No joy. Is it possible that the Ernie Ball volume pedals are not compatible with the Axe-FX II and MFC-101?

I did notice that the Mission, Roland, and Boss pedals seem to be popular elsewhere in the forum. Are these pedals configured differently? Do they just use a straight TRS to TRS cable (stereo)?

If somebody knows, could you briefly cover why the EB pedals and the Mission-type pedals are different? I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Pete

Ahhgg volume pedals again.. please search this forum, there has been a lot of discussion on EB volume pedals (especially the Jr.), including details of how to mod them to be better expression pedals. Unfortunately this stuff keeps getting rehashed again and again. If you are still stuck after reading what has been posted before I am sure folks here, including myself, will be able to help you. And if you ask for that help, please be specific what model pedal you gave (250k ohm, 25k ohm, Jr. or full size, etc.).

Most real expression pedals will use TRS to TRS cables. The insert cable is mostly used when using (or trying to use) a volume pedal as an expression pedal.

Darryl

Thanks Darryl - that certainly helps. I have been looking at a few of the Mission pedals, as well as the Boss pedals. They appear to have a better (pot) taper. I'm HOPING that if these EB's start to work, that I can strong-arm the tapers to be more linear. I have read in other posts that this may be an exercise with a diminishing return, and that I should just buy a 'native' expression pedal to avoid frustration. Which pedals are you using? What seems to be the general forum recommendation?

Thanks!

Pete

Back
Top Bottom