A little help with wth use this

WHAT don't you get? The more you tell us, the faster we can help you understand.
The challenge I have is that I’m playing from the fractal into 290 mesa boogie amp into 4x12 1960 Marshall Cabs. I’m trying to figure way to get some of the flub that I am getting out of the darn thing. Going for a heavy Metallica/avenge 7 fold rythm sound. Thank you

The challenge I have is that I’m playing from the fractal into 290 mesa boogie amp into 4x12 1960 Marshall Cabs. I’m trying to figure way to get some of the flub that I am getting out of the darn thing. Going for a heavy Metallica/avenge 7 fold rythm sound. Thank you
So… how are you connecting into the Mesa? Into the guitar in? Into the power-amp return? Looking at Section 4 in the manual, which is the closest to what you're doing?

What are your settings in the Fractal?

What about the settings on the Axe? Poweramp modeling off? Guessing due to Leon's video being for a solid state poweramp you still have it on. You want to have poweramp and cabinet modeling off when running through a tube power amp and a cabinet.

That's quite a collection of gear there!

The 290 is a tube power amp, right?
So on your Axe, turn off power amp modeling, you've got the real thing.

You're using real cabs, so remove or bypass any cab blocks too.

From there, you have the usual tools for de-flubbing -- basically cut lows, and there are lots of places to do that. Most important I think are the amp's bass control and input low cut. You want to remove low end before the distortion stages, because that's what flubs out. You can add some back near the end of the chain if you want.

Have fun!

thanks I have it that far along meaning I do have all that handled. It’s just that I saw the way he was doing this video and I thinking it took out some of the flub or is it balancing the cabs not sure. Gotta realize guys I walked off stage 30 years ago and I was ahead of technology with an ADA MP1 running a rackmount effects lol

That's quite a collection of gear there!

The 290 is a tube power amp, right?
So on your Axe, turn off power amp modeling, you've got the real thing.

You're using real cabs, so remove or bypass any cab blocks too.

From there, you have the usual tools for de-flubbing -- basically cut lows, and there are lots of places to do that. Most important I think are the amp's bass control and input low cut. You want to remove low end before the distortion stages, because that's what flubs out. You can add some back near the end of the chain if you want.

Have fun!
awesome so I should just ignore that video? Thank you.

awesome so I should just ignore that video? Thank you.
I haven't watched that video since I don't use real cabs myself, but Leon is the real deal, knows what he's talking about. I'd never say to flat out ignore what he says, IF he's talking about the same situation you're in. I'd bet money he said some version of the same things I did though.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but there's no substitute for actual understanding, and for trying different stuff :)

Do you get why no power amp modeling or cab blocks? Have you experimented with cutting lows before the amp and maybe boosting them back up later on?

You'll get there.

I have the 2:90 and Mesa 412 cabs. I experiment with the power amp modeling and cab sims on/off even with this gear. Sometimes on just sounds better. (I'm using headphones 99% of the time.)

But whatever you do, make sure to get that 2:90 turned up a bit. I know it's loud af, but it makes a huge difference.

I have the 2:90 and Mesa 412 cabs. I experiment with the power amp modeling and cab sims on/off even with this gear. Sometimes on just sounds better. (I'm using headphones 99% of the time.)

But whatever you do, make sure to get that 2:90 turned up a bit. I know it's loud af, but it makes a huge difference.
I'd really like to pick your brain. I am having a hellva time trying to figure this new technology out.

I'd really like to pick your brain. I am having a hellva time trying to figure this new technology out.
I'll certainly do what I can, but I've probably only used that 2:90 a couple times. I know I could dial in great tones with that amp, but I kinda don't want to spend the time doing so, because I'd never use it in a live setting (just too much amp), plus I get very satisfying tones through my headphones, that that's just how I play almost all the time.

I fire up the rig when friends come over, and right away I start tweaking, because it's not really there yet.

The Axe III and my Majesty have inspired me SO much that I'm on a "quest" of sorts to get my chops up to a point where if I did ever get back to playing with others, I could cover most of the kinds of songs I'd want. I'm getting there, but my point is, I don't really focus any of my time dialing in my Mesa rig, so others here would probably be more help. I spend just about all my time practicing, as opposed to learning more about the Fractal gear.

Have you thought about using the 2:90 as the power behind a pre amp, say a Tri Axis or MP-1, and use the Axe for effects?

Or..., what I plan to do if/when I get to the point where I want to start looking for other musicians to play with, I'm going to give these new Celestion FX-200 speakers in a pair of floor wedges, and power them with whichever my Mesas sound best, using the amp modeling and cab sims, because those speakers were designed specifically for modelers. And if those amps don't do it, I'll explore some other type of power amp.

But there's threads of guys using this setup, and from what I can recall, they claim it's like the best of both worlds, in that the models are accurate, plus it sounds like a real amp.

Back
Top Bottom