A learning experience

GazzaBloom

Inspired
I don't get enough time to play guitar through my Axe, but have had enough playing time to be sure that it really can reproduce the amps it models very effectively. However, I keep defaulting back to 2 or 3 models for my regular tones and am not really exploring the Axe's full potential.

So, as a learning process I have cleared all presets to blank and I'm going to set up a preset with each of the amps and recommended cab (as per Wiki) one at a time, in turn, to learn more about the sounds each model has to offer.

First up is Amp 1: the Fender Champ, I spend a very satisfying couple of hours with it yesterday, played through my active CLR, getting very close to the Derek & Dominos tone, and used X/Y, X being set for my Strat (single coils) and Y set with a reduced input trim to 0.5 to simulate a lower gain input for my humbucker guitars (Gibson SG & PRS CU22).

This is going to be a long but hopefully rewarding journey...

Once that's complete, I plan to go through all of the effects one at a time in turn and explore those fully!

Don't wait up...I may be some time...

I have used maybe 10 different amp sims and the last 5 and a half years (not all at once) I currently use 3 and don't care. The Axe does what I needed it to do so even though I don't really use any amps sims and almost no effect it's cost is still worth it for me just to do the little I do. Enjoy the ride you are about to take. List so many people here I bet you end up surprised at some of the stuff you like

Be prepared for no longer being able to see the wood for the trees...

There are a million permutations and just as many ways to go about using them - if you're going down that hole, tie a rope to your belt... or just use the three that you like, as I bet that's where you'll end up ;)

Be prepared for no longer being able to see the wood for the trees...

There are a million permutations and just as many ways to go about using them - if you're going down that hole, tie a rope to your belt... or just use the three that you like, as I bet that's where you'll end up ;)

Nope. Disciplined approach here, 1 amp and 1 cab to match, no effects and as little tweaking as required beyond some hi/lo cut on the cab and EQ on the amp. 223 in all to sample. Some will be 1/2 hour some may be a few hours depends which ones inspire me. But, I want to try each amp and give it a fair chance.

Should be done by Christmas...not sure which year...

The real question is: How many cab packs do you have? (THAT is the ultimate rabbit hole!)

Nope. Disciplined approach here, 1 amp and 1 cab to match, no effects and as little tweaking as required beyond some hi/lo cut on the cab and EQ on the amp. 223 in all to sample. Some will be 1/2 hour some may be a few hours depends which ones inspire me. But, I want to try each amp and give it a fair chance.

Should be done by Christmas...not sure which year...

We used to do this amp-of-the-week thing where someone would start a thread about a pariticular amp and then we'd deep dive in to it in the thread, people would post clips and patches and stuff. It was cool. Required a lot of shepherding on the part of the person managing the thread IIRC.

Maybe consider doing something like that as you explore each model in-depth? I'd play along!

The real question is: How many cab packs do you have? (THAT is the ultimate rabbit hole!)

Again, nope. As is said I will select 1 cab from factory installed cabs as recommended by Wiki and stick with it tweaking tone to taste. Where the Wiki recommend a type of speaker or one of several cabs I will audition a few but never beyond what's in the factory install as I don't have any additional cab packs and have no burning desire to own any at present.

We used to do this amp-of-the-week thing where someone would start a thread about a pariticular amp and then we'd deep dive in to it in the thread, people would post clips and patches and stuff. It was cool. Required a lot of shepherding on the part of the person managing the thread IIRC.

Maybe consider doing something like that as you explore each model in-depth? I'd play along!

I like the sound of that, I have a lot of international travel coming up so not sure I could maintain a weekly schedule though but I may consider posting a clip of every amp as I discover it. I'll give it some thought.

I read that. And it is an excellent idea! Keep it simple.

I think you'll end up flying through this, and it will be a good learning experience.

Again, nope. As is said I will select 1 cab from factory installed cabs as recommended by Wiki and stick with it tweaking tone to taste. Where the Wiki recommend a type of speaker or one of several cabs I will audition a few but never beyond what's in the factory install as I don't have any additional cab packs and have no burning desire to own any at present.

Back
Top Bottom