A last try in getting Tone- AX8 -

Hugh Jago

I bought my AX8 early in 2017. I spent quite some time trying to dial in presets to fit live band play, and created various virtual rigs as well . I failed miserably. I read most of the posts from this forum and tweaked just about every virtual button, knob, slider, equalizer etc. Start and end result is that everything sounds like I'm playing at the bottom of a well or covered in 3 feet of mud. Both on original untouched presets, and after I've 'tweaked' them. I used the AX8 once in a practice session and got asked by the other band members to go back to my hard rig.
So - as I don't give up easily I'm trying again.

Next week I've hired a studio and sound engineer (in sunny N Cal) to help me get out of the well. The AX 8 will be new to the the engineer.

What I need from AX 8 players are serious helpful recommendations and suggestions. I plan to reset my AX8 to original settings over the weekend in order that I'm starting with a clean page.

My thought process is to start from one Amplifier and one Cabinet. My plan is a Fender for both, before I move to a Mesa or Marshall. and only after these are dialed in, to add drives, reverb etc.

1. The band plays classic rock from 60s/70s. I play rhythm. Strat/Tele/Les Paul. All set in different tunings.
2. I need to run from clean (opening arpeggio in Doctor Doctor) to some extreme tone in Mississippi Queen.
3. Current Rig Mesa Boogie Mark V. into either single or twin closed back cabinets. (depending on venue)
4. For next week I'm planning on taking a single Yamaha DRX 12p. I'll be setting this up on a mini speaker stand. (better as a floor monitor?).
Thanks
Hugh

Seems to me your money would be better spent on someone who has Fractal experience in NoCal....pretty heavy population of power users there... in your present scenario, it would be best to have your band present at the tweaking session so you can do it At Gig Volume,

Agree w/ bradlake. If the engineer isn't familiar w/ FAS products, he may not know any more than you do.

And I have to wonder if something is wrong with either your AX8 or somewhere else in the signal chain. I get that each persons' setup is different, and most of us probably have to tweak a bit to get our sound, but it should still sound good from the get go. If it sounds like 3 feet of mud then something bigger is wrong / configured incorrectly / etc.

Member @2112 has created and made available some great Mesa presets. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/free-mesa-preset-pack-ax8.130149/
I would recommend downloading them and try them without any tweaking. If it still sounds like it's in a well or covered in mud, there's something that needs to be addressed either with your AX8 or setup. This is strictly trying to troubleshoot what you're experiencing.

bradlake - very good suggestion, but in the last year I found only one user around me. Not to say there aren't more, but he's the only one I found. He did help me back in April and the sounds were better than I'd achieved on my own, but the problem came when I took the AX8 out of the home and into a studio at band volume. The difference between the other band members cabinets, and my sound through the Yamaha were markedly different. Not just for the air movement aspect of power amplification, but for the 'tonal' issue.
At the practice session our lead guitarist ran a Marshall through a half stack, and brought along his Fender Twin. I couldn't get close to any of his tones.
Jefferski - Many thanks. I don't think there is an issue with the unit, it's not so much that the sound is muffled as tone muddy. I used to get the same (and still do) problem with the Mesa Boogie MkV but I know where the Master, Presence, bass need to be set, and what to do with the Graphic EQ to lift the tone back up.
I've tried my Mesa solutions but to no avail, hence I thought the members may have some better suggestions and where I've failed to understand past suggestions from the forum, the Engineer will at least be able to read, understand and as I've spent hours and hours on the computer, I'll be able to run him through the software issues.
Thanks to both of you.

Member @2112 has created and made available some great Mesa presets. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/free-mesa-preset-pack-ax8.130149/
I would recommend downloading them and try them without any tweaking. If it still sounds like it's in a well or covered in mud, there's something that needs to be addressed either with your AX8 or setup. This is strictly trying to troubleshoot what you're experiencing.

I'll do so this evening and post the results back over the weekend. It does bring a question to mind. Am I wrong in trying to find sounds that match the original tones from the songs I play, or should I just be trying to find sounds I Like? It doesn't solve the mud issue, but it may stop me from trying to sound like a good musician. :)

It's always tough when one guitarist has a traditional rig sitting in the same room with an FRFR (mic'd tone) setup. 'Apples and Oranges' and all that...... But it sounds like the tones are bad even in isolation? Any way you can record and post some reference clips?

Something doesn't seem right? Maybe some personal, online, one-on-one consultations are in order?

It's always tough when one guitarist has a traditional rig sitting in the same room with an FRFR (mic'd tone) setup. 'Apples and Oranges' and all that...... But it sounds like the tones are bad even in isolation? Any way you can record and post some reference clips?

Something doesn't seem right? Maybe some personal, online, one-on-one consultations are in order?

I think that would be a wonderful idea. I won't be able to get a 'band' volume recording until the studio visit next wednesday night, but I'll do it then and post it. I'll run the set up through my mixer (neutral) - otherwise I'll have to take it off Protools after it's been through my home setup.

I think that would be a wonderful idea. I won't be able to get a 'band' volume recording until the studio visit next wednesday night, but I'll do it then and post it. I'll run the set up through my mixer (neutral) - otherwise I'll have to take it off Protools after it's been through my home setup.
Even a direct clip would let us know if the issue is in the AX8.

Have you played some music through the Yamaha DRX 12p to verify that it's working correctly?

Really hard to say whats going on here.
There are so many presets that should sound fantastic via that DRX without any tweaking whatsoever.

Ok worth a try, I am way down in Santa Cruz. Hopefully you can find a local Fractal fan to help out. Don't give up yet.

Many thanks, If I can't get any improvement come Wednesday, I may well take a day off, and head down to Santa Cruz if the offer still stands?

Back
Top Bottom