A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum....

JoKeR III

Fractal Fanatic
I was on my way here to create a "What the HECK" thread but thought, hey maybe there's something I can do about it without bothering you good people (Yet here I am, bothering you good people anyway).

After a couple of weeks of just playing around with some of the factory presets, learning to navigate my latest toy and investigating the new-to-me effects, I decided to build my own preset from scratch.

My go to amp lately in the AX8 has been the AC-20 EF86 Treble, provides a great, chewy grind that's simply lovely. Added cab that's familiar to me, the AC-20 DLX MIX, struck an open G chord and voila...WAIT, not even close!!! A great, lush clean tone but nowhere near the tone I had with the AX8.

I remembered a video by @2112 of the Class A amps so I took a peek at it and he got the tone I remembered. Selected another <EMPTY> preset slot and followed his steps to the letter and again, a gorgeous clean tone, but definitely not what was expected nor like the video. Note: One thing did I notice was the Master Volume in the amp block did absolutely nothing, nada, zip.

This got me wondering: Could there be something in the Setup causing this? I had already tried rolling back the firmware, then reinstalling the Beta to no avail. This was a B-Stock unit, who knows if anything had been adjusted or changed? The only thing I had personally done was adjust the Input 1 Level (@25%) but that was it. After a few minutes of looking at everything and eventually blankly staring at a lot of stuff, it was determined that a full reset was the best option.

Selected 'Reset System Parameters' and pressed the button. Readjusted the Input 1 Level then built the preset again and voila, YES! There's the tone I wanted. Cool thing is now, the Axe III sounds even better than before. Don't know what the issue was but it's now fixed.

TL;DR
Moral to the story; with a bit of troubleshooting and research, you can find the answer to most any issue without running straight to the forum screaming HELP!!!

Sounds an awful lot like the bypass button on the front of the hardware had been pressed. :)
I was using Axe-Edit, pretty much do all editing on a computer. Other amps 'worked' but were a bit more difficult to dial in (i.e. the Bludojai) than was expected based upon experience with the AX8. Since the reset, every amp including the Bludojai sounds much better and is easier to dial in.

Power amp modelling disabled globally maybe?
At this point it's simply a guess, I wasn't smart enough to note the settings before the reset. That said, Power Amp Modeling was one of the first things I checked and it was on.

Last edited:
Isn’t there a global Gain level somewhere? I believe I remember seeing that for the Amps in one of the global menus.

Strictly for giggles, I just did a reset system parameters , and the main thing I learned was the default digital output is AES, not SPDIF..gave me a second or two of mild panic when I no longer had output to my Apollo digitally, but realized quickly what had been done...not sure if the reset did anything else audible to me...but things in general sound damn good....but not as good as they will later today or tomorrow, I’m gonna guess...
(Cmon Ares 5.0 final!..)

Back
Top Bottom