A few questions/clarifications for a new user (Expression, Board/Case, External Switches, Etc)

magooch

Hi all! Glad to be here. I just recently ordered a FM3 and I'm super excited! It hasn't arrived yet but I'm trying to stave off my impatience by getting some other things in order before it gets here. Without further ado, here are a few questions/clarifications I've had, in no particular order...

1. Expression/VP pedals. I'm super used to using a volume pedal in just about all of my rigs - this will likely be the primary use for any expression/VP I use. And I'm most familiar with the feel/sweep of the Ernie Ball VP Jr. I've already swapped in a 25k pot for mine, though if I understand correctly it's likely log taper whereas expression is typically linear. But I guess I'm wondering - if it's primarily going to be used as a volume pedal (as it already is), will this be particularly noticeable? I'm also assuming I'd need to use a TRS to dual-TS Y-cable, correct?

2. I'm probably planning on adding a 2-button switch as well. Does anyone know how they're wired up? I'm sure I've got all the parts laying around. I know Strymon switches usually use resistors between switch/jack, if I recall correctly Eventide used diodes between, and some just wire the switches directly to the jack...My assumption is the latter but thought I ought to double check.

3. Speaking of 2-button aux switches - how many are using a "dumb" switch like this vs a midi switcher? I'm curious if anyone's started with a 2-button switch and felt they needed to move to a full midi switch (FC6 or otherwise) OR vice versa - if anyone's started out with a midi switch and realized they'd get by okay with a simpler switch.

4. Separate Pedals and/or Tuners: Ideally I'd like to run the FM3 as an all-in-one and prefer to not have to supplement it with anything else. My current signal chain: Thorpy Fat General, Hudson Broadcast, Browne Protein, Barber Gain Changer, Chase Tone Secret Preamp, Walrus Audio M1, Strymon El Capistan, Strymon Timeline, Strymon Bigsky. I do occasionally "stack" delays and I know there's a one-reverb block limit (but that's fine as I only ever run one reverb at a time anyways), but is there anything you think that I'd find to be lacking and/or needing to be "supplemented" in the FM3 from that batch? I notice a lot of folks using a standalone tuner. Why is that - something they don't like about the built-in tuner? Always-on monitoring? Free up a button rather than have one reserved for tuner access?

I'm sure I will have many more questions in the coming days/weeks but that's all for the moment. I've learned a lot just from lurking around and reading a bunch of threads here already, but I sure do feel like there's still quite a bit left for me to learn, too!

I’m using an xsonic airstep and a hotone 2 switches.

Airstep select scenes 1 to 8
Fm3 switches are just for effects
The hotone is for tap tempo and midi cs.

For the pedal expression I really don’t dare cause I don’t use them much. So I sold my mission pedals and bought 2 cheap m audio. works fine and they are on their 120th gig. The volume on pedal bring the tuner when volume is at 0.

For the case, I made a custom one at Thomann

Welcome aboard!

Check out my Custom Layouts for FM3 with a 2 button footswitch:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ustom-layouts-for-2-button-footswitch.206487/

You can do an awful lot with the FM3 and just two more switches - you'll need to get your head around the concepts of Layouts and Views (and Stand In switches). Once you do, you can get to practically anything footswitchable in the FM3 within a few presses.

Your switches should be momentary (non-latching) so you can have tap and hold functions. I made my own - no diodes needed! My Custom Layouts Guide (attached) also briefly mentions expression pedals (I have an Mission Engineering EP-1). You can run 1 x EXP + 2 x Switches, or 4 x Switches. The pair of switches and the expression pedal will each need a TRS cable. I use the Rockboard ones.

I have no need for external effects or tuners, but plenty of people around here use them and of course, that's completely fine ... use the FM3 whichever way suits you best! You can run multiple delays, and there is one called the Multiplex delay that is very versatile.

Attachments

• DM5 - Fractal Audio FM3 Custom Layout for 2-button Footswitch - July 2024.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
...if I understand correctly it's likely log taper whereas expression is typically linear. But I guess I'm wondering - if it's primarily going to be used as a volume pedal (as it already is), will this be particularly noticeable?
Yes, it will be noticeable. You can squeak by with a log-taper pedal, but the first time you try a linear pedal, you'll say. "Oh! So this is what it's supposed to feel like."

IIRC, you can find linear-taper pots to fit your Ernie Ball.

I'm also assuming I'd need to use a TRS to dual-TS Y-cable, correct?
Correct.

2. I'm probably planning on adding a 2-button switch as well. Does anyone know how they're wired up? I'm sure I've got all the parts laying around. I know Strymon switches usually use resistors between switch/jack, if I recall correctly Eventide used diodes between, and some just wire the switches directly to the jack...My assumption is the latter but thought I ought to double check.
Correct. Just wire the switches to the jacks. No diodes, no nothin'.

3. Speaking of 2-button aux switches - how many are using a "dumb" switch like this vs a midi switcher?I
It doesn't matter how many people have done that. Some people get by fine on just the three built-in switches. Some people need a zillion switches. And some people only think they need a zillion switches. ;)

I'm curious if anyone's started with a 2-button switch and felt they needed to move to a full midi switch (FC6 or otherwise)...
Some people have done that.

...OR vice versa - if anyone's started out with a midi switch and realized they'd get by okay with a simpler switch.
Some people have done that, too.

Separate Pedals and/or Tuners: Ideally I'd like to run the FM3 as an all-in-one and prefer to not have to supplement it with anything else. My current signal chain: Thorpy Fat General, Hudson Broadcast, Browne Protein, Barber Gain Changer, Chase Tone Secret Preamp, Walrus Audio M1, Strymon El Capistan, Strymon Timeline, Strymon Bigsky. I do occasionally "stack" delays and I know there's a one-reverb block limit (but that's fine as I only ever run one reverb at a time anyways), but is there anything you think that I'd find to be lacking and/or needing to be "supplemented" in the FM3 from that batch?
I'm not familiar with all the pedals you mentioned, so I won't give you a firm answer. Bottom line: there's precious little that the FM3 can't do as well as or better than. Don't sweat it. When you've played your FM3 for a while, you'll know if there's a pedal you can't live without. No one else's opinion counts. :)

I notice a lot of folks using a standalone tuner. Why is that - something they don't like about the built-in tuner? Always-on monitoring? Free up a button rather than have one reserved for tuner access?
Don't worry about that, either. You'll know quickly whether the tuner meets your needs. I know it meets mine. Maybe you have a favorite tuner, and you'll choose to hang onto it because you like the display, or the always-available mute switch, or the fact that it's part of your wireless rig, or...

Switch 1 should make/break the connection between the Tip and Sleeve contacts. Switch 2 is between the Ring and Sleeve. Momentary switches are the most flexible, but latching switches can work for some functions. If you plan on using them as Stand-In switches, then use momentary switches. Both normally open and normally closed momentary switches will work (there's a polarity setting in the Setup menu for that).

Back
Top Bottom