A Different Reamp Question...

Jorock

I had a look around and can't find the answer so thought I'd post here:

I would like to take an already recorded DI track, send it out of my computer over a USB cable into the AxeFx III to reamp it. Then would like to be able to take the reamped signal out of the AxeFx analog output into an external analog preamp, then back into the computer.

Is this possible?

Signal Flow:

DI signal from computer via USB > AxeFx III > AxeFx Analog Output 1 > API Preamp > back to computer on a new track

If I understand correctly what you're trying to do, it should be easily doable with the Axe FX III.

In your DAW, you need to route the DI track to the Axe ASIO output 5 (should be called something like "In 1 BLock L"). Create a new track for the reamped signal and set it to record Axe ASIO input 3+4 (corresponding to the Out 2 block L+R).

On the Axe, you must change the input setup to route the reamp signal onto the grid. Go to Setup -> I/O -> Audio. If you're on FW15 set Digital Input Source to USB (Channels 5/6) and set Input 1 Source to Digital (or any other input, but I'll stick with In1 for the description). On earlier firmwares I think you just needed to set Input 1 Source to USB.

Now you need to create the preset. Start with the In1 block and add any processing you want to do before the external preamp. Send this to the Out1 block. Hook up the external preamp so the input is connected to Out1 L and its output is connected to In2 L. Add the In2 block to your preset, followed by all effects you want to apply after the preamp, ending with the Out2 block.

The full signal chain from DAW to analog and back looks something like this:
DAW DI track -> Axe ASIO output 5 / In1 block -> reamping blocks before preamp -> Out 1 block / Out 1 jack -> ext. preamp -> In 2 jack / In 2 block -> reamping blocks after preamp -> Out 2 / Axe ASIO input 3(+4) -> DAW reamp track

Really appreciate the replies everyone! and @l4mpi you're close. But to clarify, I'm not looking to add a preamp as an effects insert. And I'm not referring to a 'guitar preamp' I'm referring to a microphone preamp (API, Neve, Focusrite, etc...)

So:

I have already tracked guitar through the AxeFx and into an API 312 mic preamp and into Reaper. I simultaneously recorded a clean DI.

I want to take that clean DI and reamp it through the AxeFx (with a different amp tone) ideally using the USB cable. And to get the reamped guitar back into Reaper, I want to run it via the OUTPUT of the AxeFx and run it back through the API 312 preamp so I get the same sort of API flavour on top.

With the method I described it doesn't make a difference what kind of device you want to hook up as long as it has analog input and output jacks. It's a generic way to route a signal from a DAW on the Axe grid, out to the exernal device, and back into the Axe so that it can be recorded in the DAW again. It should work for what you're describing unless I misunderstand something...

I want to take that clean DI and reamp it through the AxeFx (with a different amp tone) ideally using the USB cable. And to get the reamped guitar back into Reaper, I want to run it via the OUTPUT of the AxeFx and run it back through the API 312 preamp so I get the same sort of API flavour on top.

Maybe a more specific example would help. Let's say you want to reamp the DI signal with an Amp + Cab block and no further effects, send the reamped signal out to the API preamp for some shimmer, and then simply record whatever comes out of the output of the API. To do so, simply build a preset with the following two signal chains:

In1 -> Amp1 -> Cab1 -> Out4
In2 -> Out2

The first signal chain processes the DI signal and then routes it to an output jack so it can be sent to the API. It doesn't matter which jack, I picked Out4 here as you're probably not using it for anything else at the moment. The second signal chain from In2 to Out2 is just there to allow you to record the analog signal returned from the API into Reaper, as your inputs in Reaper correspond to the Axe output blocks. For this part, you can also use any free input jack instead of In2; however you must use either Out1 or Out2 as the output block as only these outputs can be recorded via USB.
Now simply run a cable from the Axe Out4 L jack to the API input jack and another from the API output jack to the Axe In2 L jack, and don't forget to turn up the corresponding front panel output knob.

That's the Axe and API side of things taken care of. Configure Reaper to send the DI signal to the right ASIO output (#5 / "Input 1 Block L"), and configure the Axe I/O setup to route that signal into the In1 block (Digital Input Source = USB Ch 5/6, In1 Source = Digital). Add a track in Reaper that records the right input (In 3/4 for Out2 L/R), and you should be set.

Back
Top Bottom