A couple questions regarding Guitar and Bass

MetalGarret

Inspired
So I've been going with the USA amps (being modeled after mesa boogie) and I've been trying to get a similar roar to that of John Petrucci. I'm curious about the EQ (5 band) and how it well it emulates to that of the real Mesa Boogie IIC+.

Ya see, the setting I'm going for is this: boogie_graphic.jpg The famous V shape.

What I'm asking is what should the 5 band EQ be set to (by the numbers) to simulate this? I feel like I'm doing too much around 240 but when I back off I lose too much thickness. Sometimes I feel like I'm pulling to much highs but when I back off I feel it's too dark. Etc.

I know there's hundreds of people out there that use this and know what theyre doing so I'd thought I'd ask. :)

Another question I have is my bass. I feel like it's too muddy and when I hit some notes some low frequencies jump at me to much. I've tried compression but I don't feel like I'm doing it right. Could also be the bass amp I'm using. If that's the case, what's a good bass amp for metal?

Not to hijack or anything, but I have a GEN 1 unit, and have started playing with this amp....I'm guessing I can put a PEQ between the amp/cab and it would be the best spot? I can see the frequencies there in the pic, but what is the range and Q of the sliders to best emulate this EQ?

Not to hijack or anything, but I have a GEN 1 unit, and have started playing with this amp....I'm guessing I can put a PEQ between the amp/cab and it would be the best spot? I can see the frequencies there in the pic, but what is the range and Q of the sliders to best emulate this EQ?

what do you mean by Gen 1 unit? Axe-Fx Standard or Ultra? if so, it's best to refer to those as a Standard or Ultra. "Gen 1" can be confused with the Axe-Fx II Mark I (first version).

I think it's always going to be a compromise between your gear and your play style. Get as much of the glorious tone as you can without things getting messy and then carve it out a little more after its in the mix.

Damn. yeah I'm trying to get it by ear. but i can't seem to keep the bass and guitar from colliding at around 125hz. I'll cut it on the EQ on one of the instruments but it'll feel like it loses life. I try splitting the difference but I still get that frequency jumping out too much.

Back
Top Bottom