A Common Axe-FX complaint:

What I notice with a lot of the gainy amp models is that it will sound fat when playing chords and notes in the lower register, moving up the neck for leads it can get ice-picky. And I have purchased and use several of the RedWirez IR's.
I'd have to say this has been my main problem with both tube amps and modeling amps, it seems as we play up the neck the sound tends to get thin, sometimes you have a very nice balanced tone for rythm/chords, then the leads I've always wished there was a way to increase fullness, and a bit more gain as you go into the higher octaves, i've actually asked a few amp builders to see if it was possible, not sure if it's possible to automate this on the Axe FX, maybe having pitch control bass/and gain? like i said this isn't to criticize the Axe FX, it seems to happen a bit more with all digital modelers but i've always had that problem with tube amps too, maybe there is an easy solution, i just haven't found it yet, no matter what speakers I use or how how I Eq the amp..

An amp that doesn't have that problem too much is the AC30, more mids help... also playing technique...

Sure, you can do the pitch-based gain/EQ thing. Or perhaps fatten up the higher notes with some delay or a detune block.

An amp that doesn't have that problem too much is the AC30, more mids help... also playing technique...

AC30 may be better then other amps for that, but playing technique? how would you acomplish that with just playing other then just hitting the strings harder, and angle of the pick for a little more gain? i'm not trying to be a wise a&s or anything, just curious what playing techniques would acomplish this, i've been playing for a very long time and was never able to get the thickness in the higher octaves to my liking, (amps or modelers)using the same sound for rythm and leads, with the Axe FX i have diferent patches for different positions of the neck, and switch between them, even on the same song when possible.

AC30 may be better then other amps for that, but playing technique? how would you acomplish that with just playing other then just hitting the strings harder, and angle of the pick for a little more gain? i'm not trying to be a wise a&s or anything, just curious what playing techniques would acomplish this, i've been playing for a very long time and was never able to get the thickness in the higher octaves to my liking, (amps or modelers)using the same sound for rythm and leads, with the Axe FX i have diferent patches for different positions of the neck, and switch between them, even on the same song when possible.

You could always go up in string gauge for a thicker tone as well as using a heavy pick to thicken things up.

Technique can be used to get a less shrill sound by picking further away from the bridge. Conversely you can make even the fattest tone out there sound icepicky if you pick right next to the bridge, like, 1/2" away from the end of the string. If you pick above the fretboard instead of down near the pickups, that will fatten up the tone about as much as possible. Picking exactly 12 frets higher than the fret where you've fretted the string you get a really interesting sound too.

Scott what you're saying, and also what Bigbrown2056 said about using heavier strings are obvious things I've done in the many many years of guitar playing, i'm not new at guitar, but I appreciate the suggestions. I can get usable sounds out of amps and especially the Axe FX, what I meant in my post is I never was able to be 100% satisfied with any amp or modeler just by setting up a sound that soungs great for chords, and then use it for leads in the high strings hi octaves, it always sounds thin to me..i'd imagine with the advances in tube amps and digital modeling one day it will happen, going back to the op in this thread, I understand why some people might think the Axe FX sounds thin, if they don't set up the patches listening at the proper level with whatever PA they're using, for me it's alwyas been a problem getting that balanced tone while going up the frets, but like i said it's not just the AXE FX, it's pretty much most amps i've used, but it seems to be more noticable on digital units going direct to FOH in my opinion, but i'm still very happy with the Axe FX after 4 years of use, and plan to continue using it, till whatever Cliff is releasing in 9 days..lol ..Axe Fx is an awesome unit as you all know.
Maybe I should spend less time in the studio playing my old Minimoog and the OB Matrix12.. (for those of you familiar with them you'll understand what fat lead sounds are)..lol

If you pick above the fretboard instead of down near the pickups, that will fatten up the tone about as much as possible. Picking exactly 12 frets higher than the fret where you've fretted the string you get a really interesting sound too.

You're right on both counts.

Could be any number of factors. I am not a high profile guy, nor do I play in high profile projects such as you do. But I find the tones I get and use are *anything* but 'thin' or 'lacking balls' at all.

If we are discussing FRFR; I put the actual final "x" factor on the IR. It's the most vital piece to the puzzle overall; I know that's not a popular thing to say and goes against the grain; but those User Slots can change a LOT of what you actually have. The freebie Red Wire G12M Cap Off Axis @ 3" is just a 100% slam-dunk for most anything in the Marshall realm. Put that in - no PEQ needed, no nothing needed other than a good even Marshall-type of tone and I will guarantee 'thin' or 'lacking balls' will simply not be in the lexicon of adjectives used for the tone.

IMHO, YMMV.

Not trying to steal the thread, but can you recommned some good IR's for Mesa and Peavey amps ?

Radley,

I say this with 100% respect...

I have to admit to being amused by the idea that 1 guitarist in a project like Neil Diamond's band would tell the other that his guitar tone lacked "balls" and is "too thin".

I say this in light of the fact that other pros in professional hard rock and metal acts have no problem melting faces and crushing audiences.

I'd be stunned if you, of all people, couldn't easily thicken it up more to satisfy him. I've actually learned a number of things from your contributions over the years here. So, I know that you know what you're doing.

It's almost unbelievable to me that your tone isn't able to "hang" with his.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Radley,

I say this with 100% respect...

I have to admit to being amused by the idea that 1 guitarist in a project like Neil Diamond's band would tell the other that his guitar tone lacked "balls" and it "too thin".

I say this in light of the fact that other pros in professional hard rock and metal acts have no problem melting faces and crushing audiences.

I'd be stunned if you, of all people, couldn't easily thicken it up more to satisfy him. I've actually learned a number of things from your contributions over the years here. So, I know that you know what you're doing.

It's almost unbelievable to me that your tone isn't able to "hang" with his.

Just my 2 cents.

I think you happened to read Radley's post wrong. He isn't saying that *he* is unable to get the right tone out of his Axe... he's (accurately) saying that he's frequently read / heard some comments from others who couldn't get the right tone out of their Axe... there's a huge difference.

I think I understand where Radley wanted to go with this: if it's a common complaint, is there a way to easily teach newcomers how to tame the Axe? But unfortunately, Radley's legitimate question was rapidly misinterpreted as criticism.

I have to admit I'm speculating here. I don't know what Radley really meant (but I do remember that he's quite happy with his Axe, and I know for a fact he's very at ease with it, a fact that was illustrated several times by Radley's most excellent posts about all sorts of good stuf you can do with the Axe).

I do have to admit that I replied after only reading page 1 of the thread. And, I only read Radley's initial post once. So, perhaps my perception of the situation and where he was going with that was misguided.

...Plus, I was reading and replied from my Android phone in a pub while drinking. Ha-ha!

Maybe I need to go and read Radley's original message again.

Back
Top Bottom