A bit about flattening the frequency characteristics and easier work with the sound (long)

50db? I would think my guitar is louder than that acoustically. I wouldn't want to dial in any tones for live use if I can still hear my strings at all.

I guess you could record and listen back, but still 50db sounds very low for your example of creating patches for use live at a festival.

I have, in the past, proposed to add a block that gives the user a single-knob EQ to compensate up or down for tonal differences due to volume.

This single knob could be attached to one of the perform screen knobs, and the block could be set up in every preset and tied together via the global blocks system so that a quick adjustment gets applied across all presets at the same time.

Every discussion I have seen about the topic eventually tries to over-engineer a solution, despite the common "ears, not eyes" mindset that sometimes pops up in these threads and the fact that it is easily achievable with a properly placed bass and treble boost/cut (depending on which way you're compensating). It should be a simple block that lets you dial in a passably decent bedroom tone with presets originally dialed in at stage volume, or, vice-versa, lets you apply a reasonable (if not perfect) fix for presets dialed in at a lower volume. Center should be flat. Dialing up or down from there boosts or cuts the bass/treble per the preset curve in proportion with the knob twist. Think of it like a donut spare tire. Is it a Pirelli P235/40 R17 with Z speed rating, like the others on your car? No. Will it get you home in a pinch? Yes.

The curves are well-known, and could be "close enough" without a huge amount of complication - to rescue your gig (or marriage) and let you and others enjoy your guitar sound at varying volumes, without a huge amount of complication or difficulty. Not everyone's situation is the same, or conforms to others' opinions of how things should be....

OR, you could dial in your presets at rehearsal where you are playing at gig levels, (like you would with a real amp and cab) then save that as a live version of your preset, so you could have two version of your presets, live and studio.
Not everyone has the luxury of a place they can turn up that loud....

Yes the point I was trying to make is that when i gigged with a tube amp and cab, I never had time to do that either. I would dial in my rig at rehearsal at stage volume, and then use those same settings for the gig, maybe slightly adjusting treble/mid/bass to suite the room/stage.
To be fair, though, when using a tube amp, you only have one set of knobs to tweak to get it sounding better, vs. having to do more or less the same tweaks on every preset you switch to during your set, quickly, without losing the pace of your show.

A single knob EQ block with center being flat, and "fixing" the sound one way or the other depending on which way you turn it from center, would be a great gig (or marriage) rescuing tool. Say you set up your sound at rehearsal the night before, and then the gig venue has an unanticipated stage volume limit. All your stuff you carefully tweaked the night before is now going to sound a bit off. A single knob could "fix" that well enough to get you through the gig....

To be fair, though, when using a tube amp, you only have one set of knobs to tweak to get it sounding better, vs. having to do more or less the same tweaks on every preset you switch to during your set, quickly, without losing the pace of your show.

This is why I want global amp blocks on the FM3

Not everyone has the luxury of a place they can turn up that loud....
Understandable, I am going off the assumption that most bands do rehearse in a somewhat live environment and that would require you to be at somewhat of a gig volume to get over the drums. I would almost say that my amps were always louder in rehearsal just to get over the close proximity to my loud ass drummer, lol

50db? I would think my guitar is louder than that acoustically. I wouldn't want to dial in any tones for live use if I can still hear my strings at all.

I guess you could record and listen back, but still 50db sounds very low for your example of creating patches for use live at a festival.

Exactly, and its a case of where a little bit of knowledge can be rather dangerous without fully understanding the implications, or more so, lack there of.

Most people are likely not dialing in patches at 40 or 50dB, unless they are playing at really late night, someone watching tv in the same room volume. Its just like with a hardware amp, sure maybe you might set the volume to 1 or less if your trying to play it really, really quiet, but I don't think anyone expects those settings to translate to any practical settings.

Realistically, I think people are probably playing around 70 or 80 dB, if not louder, even at home, and by that intensity level the response curves are pretty darn flat within the range of the guitar. In fact, most mix and mastering engineers prefer to monitor at about 78 dB as its a safe level, limits ear fatigure and gives a pretty accurate representation over most of the spectrum.

Besides that, the frequenices which can be problematic are outside the typical guitar range anyways....I don't know about everyone else, but I usually high and low pass at around 100 Hz and 6 kHz....

So yeah, if your trying to master an electronic dance music track with a ton of 30 Hz subbass, you probably don't want to try to make an accurate judge of how that is going on a 110dB system by listening it to at 40dB in your bedroom late a night. But, at 70dB your still able to pretty accurately judge guitar tones.

I think the real issue is that people simply don't understand the differences between dialing in tones play alone, vs how it sounds in a full band mix. It doesn't matter if your playing at 70 or 100 dB at home, if your hearing ONLY your guitar, it will sound different than it does in a mix.

On top of all that, the idea that you should pre-eq your signal to account for what you think will be some percieved intensity differences simply doesn't work in the real world. Its been tried countless times over the decades and just is more trouble than it solves. Again, Mr. Fletcher and Mr. Munson first published this stuff nearly 100 years ago. This is not NEW knowledge in any way, its simply that in the past few years one guitar player reads something on forum then repeats it, so on and so forth, and suddenly its this new magical idea of "why your guitar doesn't sound good in a mix..... blame FM".

Having worked as a FOH engineer I can tell you nothing made my job harder than when someone tried to do my job for me. I know the system I'm sending you through, I know how it sounds with a full house, and I know how it sounds at sound check in an empty venue. I know the room acoustics, and we've likely already tried to correct a lot of know issues.

To think you can just show up, hit a magic button to enhance or minimize the highs and lows so its going to sound the same as it did when you were at home as it is coming through the FOH system isn't realistic.

Its just like when we'd do sound check, someone thought their guitar sounded to harsh, so before the set they went and turned down the treble and presence on their amp (without telling anyone) and then what do you know, when we have a full venue and radically different acoustics, they were buried in the mix.... because they thought they knew better.

Simply send us a decent signal and we will make sure it sounds as good as possible both in the band mix, and in the venue! simple as that =)

Think about this another way..... imagine your favorite CD...... you know the tones pretty well right ? Let's say its GnR AFD... favorite of mine. Does it sound radically different when you hear it at different volumes ? Did Slash's tone sound terrible when you heard it played through a big system at a bar or club, and like a different band than when you listened to it at home ? Or on headphones, or on a computer speaker ? Sure didn't when I heard it.....

The stems sounded different than the band mix of course, but that is another thread lol.

Point is, this stuff simply isn't that big of deal in the real world, its very old knowledge, and there is no magic bullet that is going to make your 40dB at home tones played solo sound great in a 115dB full band mix just by pressing a button, and some 90 year old average graphs aren't a treasure map.

Your simply going to make things worse if you look at a graph you don't fully understand and just go " I'll add 15 dB to all these frequencies to account for playing loud" Won't work.

Really the most ironic thing about all this though is that everyone always ignores the possiblity their own auditory perception may be significantly impaired. As mentioned, my day job is working as an audiologist, and pretty much 9 out of 10 musicians I test have at least a moderate amount of high frequency threshold shift, usually centered around 3-4 kHz, sometimes coming back up, more often sloping off. Furthermore, things like wax impaction, sinus issues, Eustachian tube dysfunction, infection etc can easily have a 15-20 air-bone gap in the low frequencies, not to mention factors like abnormal loudness growth, reduced temporal and frequency resolution et al...

Yet despite all that, you see people always sweating all this little details, like " Hmmm, this monitor response curve of brand A is 2dB different than B above 8kHz..... what should I buy" when its like HELLO..... did you actually not realize you haven't had decent higher frequency hearing above 3000 Hz since the mid 1980's and that you auditory thresholds at 8 khz at 90 dB HL, meaning that your not even going to be able to perceive any differences between the two brands?

Single biggest variable in terms of tone, each individuals unique auditory perception, yet also the most ignored. Maybe worry less about if your non true bypass pedal is sucking tone, or if two guitar cables sound different, and instead find out if the way you hear the world is remotely similar to how people do....

Its like a guy with say 20/80 vision.... maybe that is all they know, and they look at trees and see green shapes, and to them, that is normal. That is what trees look like, but to people who can see 20/20 they actually can make out each leave. Totally different though both think they are normal....
So maybe that guy with massive high frequency loss that thinks everything is muffled until you crank the treble and turn it up super loud actually has a tone that the rest of the normal hearing world thinks is ice pick city ??

Get your ear checked guys! Stepping off soap-box now lol

Exactly, and its a case of where a little bit of knowledge can be rather dangerous without fully understanding the implications, or more so, lack there of.

Most people are likely not dialing in patches at 40 or 50dB, unless they are playing at really late night, someone watching tv in the same room volume. Its just like with a hardware amp, sure maybe you might set the volume to 1 or less if your trying to play it really, really quiet, but I don't think anyone expects those settings to translate to any practical settings.

Realistically, I think people are probably playing around 70 or 80 dB, if not louder, even at home, and by that intensity level the response curves are pretty darn flat within the range of the guitar. In fact, most mix and mastering engineers prefer to monitor at about 78 dB as its a safe level, limits ear fatigure and gives a pretty accurate representation over most of the spectrum.

Besides that, the frequenices which can be problematic are outside the typical guitar range anyways....I don't know about everyone else, but I usually high and low pass at around 100 Hz and 6 kHz....

So yeah, if your trying to master an electronic dance music track with a ton of 30 Hz subbass, you probably don't want to try to make an accurate judge of how that is going on a 110dB system by listening it to at 40dB in your bedroom late a night. But, at 70dB your still able to pretty accurately judge guitar tones.

I think the real issue is that people simply don't understand the differences between dialing in tones play alone, vs how it sounds in a full band mix. It doesn't matter if your playing at 70 or 100 dB at home, if your hearing ONLY your guitar, it will sound different than it does in a mix.

On top of all that, the idea that you should pre-eq your signal to account for what you think will be some percieved intensity differences simply doesn't work in the real world. Its been tried countless times over the decades and just is more trouble than it solves. Again, Mr. Fletcher and Mr. Munson first published this stuff nearly 100 years ago. This is not NEW knowledge in any way, its simply that in the past few years one guitar player reads something on forum then repeats it, so on and so forth, and suddenly its this new magical idea of "why your guitar doesn't sound good in a mix..... blame FM".

Having worked as a FOH engineer I can tell you nothing made my job harder than when someone tried to do my job for me. I know the system I'm sending you through, I know how it sounds with a full house, and I know how it sounds at sound check in an empty venue. I know the room acoustics, and we've likely already tried to correct a lot of know issues.

To think you can just show up, hit a magic button to enhance or minimize the highs and lows so its going to sound the same as it did when you were at home as it is coming through the FOH system isn't realistic.

Its just like when we'd do sound check, someone thought their guitar sounded to harsh, so before the set they went and turned down the treble and presence on their amp (without telling anyone) and then what do you know, when we have a full venue and radically different acoustics, they were buried in the mix.... because they thought they knew better.

Simply send us a decent signal and we will make sure it sounds as good as possible both in the band mix, and in the venue! simple as that =)

Think about this another way..... imagine your favorite CD...... you know the tones pretty well right ? Let's say its GnR AFD... favorite of mine. Does it sound radically different when you hear it at different volumes ? Did Slash's tone sound terrible when you heard it played through a big system at a bar or club, and like a different band than when you listened to it at home ? Or on headphones, or on a computer speaker ? Sure didn't when I heard it.....

The stems sounded different than the band mix of course, but that is another thread lol.

Point is, this stuff simply isn't that big of deal in the real world, its very old knowledge, and there is no magic bullet that is going to make your 40dB at home tones played solo sound great in a 115dB full band mix just by pressing a button, and some 90 year old average graphs aren't a treasure map.

Your simply going to make things worse if you look at a graph you don't fully understand and just go " I'll add 15 dB to all these frequencies to account for playing loud" Won't work.

Really the most ironic thing about all this though is that everyone always ignores the possiblity their own auditory perception may be significantly impaired. As mentioned, my day job is working as an audiologist, and pretty much 9 out of 10 musicians I test have at least a moderate amount of high frequency threshold shift, usually centered around 3-4 kHz, sometimes coming back up, more often sloping off. Furthermore, things like wax impaction, sinus issues, Eustachian tube dysfunction, infection etc can easily have a 15-20 air-bone gap in the low frequencies, not to mention factors like abnormal loudness growth, reduced temporal and frequency resolution et al...

Yet despite all that, you see people always sweating all this little details, like " Hmmm, this monitor response curve of brand A is 2dB different than B above 8kHz..... what should I buy" when its like HELLO..... did you actually not realize you haven't had decent higher frequency hearing above 3000 Hz since the mid 1980's and that you auditory thresholds at 8 khz at 90 dB HL, meaning that your not even going to be able to perceive any differences between the two brands?

Single biggest variable in terms of tone, each individuals unique auditory perception, yet also the most ignored. Maybe worry less about if your non true bypass pedal is sucking tone, or if two guitar cables sound different, and instead find out if the way you hear the world is remotely similar to how people do....

Its like a guy with say 20/80 vision.... maybe that is all they know, and they look at trees and see green shapes, and to them, that is normal. That is what trees look like, but to people who can see 20/20 they actually can make out each leave. Totally different though both think they are normal....
So maybe that guy with massive high frequency loss that thinks everything is muffled until you crank the treble and turn it up super loud actually has a tone that the rest of the normal hearing world thinks is ice pick city ??

Get your ear checked guys! Stepping off soap-box now lol
That's all well and good, but none of the above negates the need for a quick-fix tool for undoing the effects of having set up your tones at the wrong volume level, whatever the reason for that might have been. Perfection is not the goal. It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to get you through the gig.

Say you have done your due diligence, practiced, dialed everything in, and you had the luxury of setting up your sounds at a rehearsal at 78dB (or 85dB - which is what is suggested in most Studio Music Recording curricula) the day before, but the club's owner/manager/whatever comes out during soundcheck with a $20 Radio Shack dB meter from 1984 that he got at a yard sale, and he tells you his super-accurate meter says you're too loud and you need to dial it back. If you do so, your tone will be mid-heavy and your gig will suck, through no fault of your own. I've played gigs like the one described here. I literally had the amp on 1 and was still told it was too loud. I could literally hear people chewing their food over my guitar. The gig sucked for everyone due to the venue's owner/manager/whatever and his complete lack of understanding of things like this--likely due to every quasi-decent low-end consumer stereo he had ever encountered having had a loudness button or contour built in that lets you magically turn it down without a huge change in timbre. I've been to NAMM and seen the 'volume police' guys come around with their meters looking to bust people.

A simple knob cleverly set up to compensate one way or the other from flat response at center would give the capability to somewhat fix the situation quickly, in the heat of the moment. The 'average' is exactly what we are after in this case. The individual 'what if' cases above are beyond the scope of the requested tool....

That's all well and good, but none of the above negates the need for a quick-fix tool for undoing the effects of having set up your tones at the wrong volume level, whatever the reason for that might have been. Perfection is not the goal. It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to get you through the gig.

Say you have done your due diligence, practiced, dialed everything in, and you had the luxury of setting up your sounds at a rehearsal at 78dB (or 85dB - which is what is suggested in most Studio Music Recording curricula) the day before, but the club's owner/manager/whatever comes out during soundcheck with a $20 Radio Shack dB meter from 1984 that he got at a yard sale, and he tells you his super-accurate meter says you're too loud and you need to dial it back. If you do so, your tone will be mid-heavy and your gig will suck, through no fault of your own. I've played gigs like the one described here. I literally had the amp on 1 and was still told it was too loud. I could literally hear people chewing their food over my guitar. The gig sucked for everyone due to the venue's owner/manager/whatever and his complete lack of understanding of things like this--likely due to every quasi-decent low-end consumer stereo he had ever encountered having had a loudness button or contour built in that lets you magically turn it down without a huge change in timbre. I've been to NAMM and seen the 'volume police' guys come around with their meters looking to bust people.

A simple knob cleverly set up to compensate one way or the other from flat response at center would give the capability to somewhat fix the situation quickly, in the heat of the moment. The 'average' is exactly what we are after in this case. The individual 'what if' cases above are beyond the scope of the requested tool....
Yes.

“Really the most ironic thing about all this though is that everyone always ignores the possiblity their own auditory perception may be significantly impaired. As mentioned, my day job is working as an audiologist, and pretty much 9 out of 10 musicians I test have at least a moderate amount of high frequency threshold shift, usually centered around 3-4 kHz, sometimes coming back up, more often sloping off. Furthermore, things like wax impaction, sinus issues, Eustachian tube dysfunction, infection etc can easily have a 15-20 air-bone gap in the low frequencies, not to mention factors like abnormal loudness growth, reduced temporal and frequency resolution et al...”

Doesn’t this actually argue for a more objective method then as is being suggested by the OP? Or do we have to just settle for crappy audio played by hearing impaired musicians? :)

Doesn’t this actually argue for a more objective method then as is being suggested by the OP? Or do we have to just settle for crappy audio played by hearing impaired musicians? :)
How would this be any different? The person turning this imagined magical knob still has the same hearing...

On another note, you know there is a quoting tool in the forum, right? ;)

The thing I find amusing is that people will come forward with ideas for improvement, get lambasted ad infinitum about how it's not needed, then Cliff implements it in a new firmware, and it's nothing but praise for the new feature.

I, for one, think the one knob feature is worth exploring. Maybe something in the PEQ block that adjusts high and low shelving -/+ gain, and frequency. Which is already there with a few button clicks, just would be nice to have it consolidated.

“ How would this be any different? The person turning this imagined magical knob still has the same hearing... “

So you go with the crappy audio then. I used to think that something like the Axe was mythical (still do actually!) Just because you don’t see a way to do it doesn’t mean it can’t be done!

“On another note, you know there is a quoting tool in the forum, right? ;)

I do. ;)

The thing I find amusing is that people will come forward with ideas for improvement, get lambasted ad infinitum about how it's not needed, then Cliff implements it in a new firmware, and it's nothing but praise for the new feature.

I, for one, think the one knob feature is worth exploring. Maybe something in the PEQ block that adjusts high and low shelving -/+ gain, and frequency. Which is already there with a few button clicks, just would be nice to have it consolidated.
I remember a long time ago when someone pointed out that the IR’s seemed to have an issue. People ripped into him (maybe they were missing some frequencies in the 3-4 kHz range?) and then FAS said yeah there is a problem and fixed it. Unix Guy is right about garbage in, garbage out but if there were idealized setting to start with it could attempt to compensate for those. The info about hearing loss in these ranges (3-4 kHz) is good to know (as I am sure it affects me!).

I remember a long time ago when someone pointed out that the IR’s seemed to have an issue. People ripped into him (maybe they were missing some frequencies in the 3-4 kHz range?) and then FAS said yeah there is a problem and fixed it. Unix Guy is right about garbage in, garbage out but if there were idealized setting to start with it could attempt to compensate for those. The info about hearing loss in these ranges (3-4 kHz) is good to know (as I am sure it affects me!).
Yeah, it likely gets us all a little. :) GIGO is a thing, but it's not the only thing. Life throws you curve balls and flat tires on a good day, and fertilizer on other days. Why not give us a donut spare to get us through the gig? If the people who made mid-level consumer audio gear could figure out "loudness compensation" in the '50s, why can't we have something like it, or a bit better and more adjustable, now?

The OP was proposing a general F/M compensation tool, as a globalEQ, which, the more that I think of it, is probably better than a block:
Therefore, wouldn't FAS consider adding functionality to its products (rather than a block, only a position in global options, something similar to GlobalEQ) to reduce the impact of the Fletcher-Munson effect. I imagine that in connection with a particular output (Outpu1, Output 2, etc) we have a value associated with the target sound level. Then in the studio (at home) we define the starting sound level ("start level" - the sound level at which we create and tune the preset), while elsewhere (in the rehearsal room, during the concert = "target level") we set at one point only as far as the level of sound increases / decreases in a given location (+ 10dB, + 20dB, + 40dB, -10dB for the bedroom, ect). And then the Fractal software would "apply" to our preset so many changes in individual sound bands to try to minimize the Fletcher-Munson effect (i.e. convolution of the preset signal with something like an impulse response that is different between the FM curve for the "target level" "a" start level "). This functionality will probably not solve the whole problem related to changing the volume, but it will allow you to tune the sound much faster, e.g. before the concert in a new place and at a new volume.
Even in his proposal was the roots of quite a bit more engineering than is really necessary, if the deviations, going up or down from the 80dB curve, were used as a baseline EQ curve. Center would be flat, and sound as-programmed in the preset. Turning it up or down from center zero would apply a bit of 'corrective' loudness contour (or inverse loudness contour) EQ based on the differences in the curve shapes. Following the "ears, not eyes" methodology that is frequently mentioned here as the best way to work, it doesn't really need labeled with any more than a -10/+10 non-unit scale to apply to that knob, so that one can focus on the quick fix for the targeted volume level rather than thinking too much about the math of it all. No magic. Just a bit of pre-configured EQ to help get you out of a bind....

It's stunning, really, how much judgement and condemnation there is held in reserve for the poor bloke who shows up at a gig with carefully-crafted presets only to find that the volume expected at the gig is vastly different than expected, and that he is expected to submissively take his lumps, insults, and derisive comments from the forum, RTFM, put presets together in specific conditions that may or may not be realistically possible in his timeline and/or situation, and all these other punitive things people have suggested. It's as if the only way some folks can feel good about themselves is by dragging someone else down.

Sad.

think about it though man.... when you playing a cd at home, in the car or whatever, do you go and mess with your EQ whenever you turn the volume up or down a bit ?

it’s simply not that big of issue going from say 110 to 90dB, it’s not going to affect your tone in a meaningful manner.

I actually was going to do my dissertation on this stuff and did a lot of my own loudness contour measures and it’s a pretty small difference at most frequency ranges.

it’s not worth feeling you need to totally eq differently, and one knob isn’t going to magically do it, nor will just saving a bunch of EQ curves which you could apply.

you could have 70dB eq, 80 dB eq, 90 dB etc if you wanted, right ? But who does that ? Nobody I know.....

besides, let’s say we can implement the magic... but what about the drums, the FOH system etc ? They change the mains levels and you go apply your eq adjustments to your tone, but does that mean everything is going to sound right in the mix ? No it doesn’t, so it’s a solution that doesn’t really solve the overall problem of loudness battles at a gig.

If “FM” were really the magic bullet don’t you think it would be widely implemented by every manufacturer ? We’ve been aware of this stuff for nearly 100 years and it’s in every text book.

If “FM” were really the magic bullet don’t you think it would be widely implemented by every manufacturer ? We’ve been aware of this stuff for nearly 100 years and it’s in every text book.

Just to make sure I understand you then, if two people with two different patches both dial in their patch at 50db and then go to do a show, there is not a universal curve that could be applied to both that would mitigate the FM effect? They would both need to make (significantly) different changes to their patch to get the same tone loud (say at 100db) to match the tone they dialed in at 50db?

Last edited:
think about it though man.... when you playing a cd at home, in the car or whatever, do you go and mess with your EQ whenever you turn the volume up or down a bit ?

it’s simply not that big of issue going from say 110 to 90dB, it’s not going to affect your tone in a meaningful manner.

I actually was going to do my dissertation on this stuff and did a lot of my own loudness contour measures and it’s a pretty small difference at most frequency ranges.

it’s not worth feeling you need to totally eq differently, and one knob isn’t going to magically do it, nor will just saving a bunch of EQ curves which you could apply.

you could have 70dB eq, 80 dB eq, 90 dB etc if you wanted, right ? But who does that ? Nobody I know.....

besides, let’s say we can implement the magic... but what about the drums, the FOH system etc ? They change the mains levels and you go apply your eq adjustments to your tone, but does that mean everything is going to sound right in the mix ? No it doesn’t, so it’s a solution that doesn’t really solve the overall problem of loudness battles at a gig.

Ah, but it has been implemented in many mid-level and hi-fi stuff since the '50s.

Instead of a simple one-way switch, I propose an adjustable compensation knob that lets you fix in either direction. You are over-engineering the whole concept of the tool.

One knob can be made to turn the gain up/down on several bands of EQ, in varying amounts, if the functionality is enabled to do so. I've made one knob (or controller pedal) do many multiple things simultaneously, both increasing and decreasing parameters in varying proportions, for other purposes. Why can't we have something like that for a relatively simple EQ to help rescue the gig? I remember already one bit of anecdotal evidence from an AxeFX3 user who showed up at an audition and could have benefited by having a quick fix for his presets all being set up at too low a volume. Again, the goal is not 12 decimal point accuracy. It is to fix "oops" moments. My proposal suggests not even labeling the control's scale with units beyond +/- 10....

Back
Top Bottom