A bigger something new from XiTone Cabs!!!

Thanks Sixstring

I cannot wait for my 212 Switchable FRFR cab, Mick! As per our discussion today my sleep schedule is now absolutely screwed because of your revelations.... Thanks man.
I fully intend to kick out a comprehensive review after the honeymoon phase ends!

Well done sir! Fractal+XiTone=Milk n cookies!

Just finished a huge Thanksgiving day, come home and read this and now I want cookies and milk!!!!! :)

damn, I've got to think this cab will sound absolutely huge

Yep, pretty much does!

The mono/stereo operation is a huge selling point. This should be a big hit.

Mono/stereo is a pretty neat functionality, especially if you look past just left/right. If you look at it as "dual mono" capable then new opportunities open up!

I cannot wait for my 212 Switchable FRFR cab, Mick! As per our discussion today my sleep schedule is now absolutely screwed because of your revelations.... Thanks man.
I fully intend to kick out a comprehensive review after the honeymoon phase ends!

Well done sir! Fractal+XiTone=Milk n cookies!

Is there then a smaller version of this same idea?

Is there then a smaller version of this same idea?

Yep... by smaller I take you to mean 1x12 and 2x12 cabs and wedges with FRFR bypass options? If that's what you mean then yep, smaller versions abound! :)

Course, smaller could also mean 1x10, 1x8, 2x10 and 2x8.... hhhhmmmm (wheels are turning.....)

Quick update... :)

That's pretty neat!

Make the switches midi for additional win.

Would be cool to have one that dynamically configures based on patch. Let us know if it works out! ��

No longer an untested 'I think I can do it' scenario!

Last night we tested with great success a pair of 1x12 wedges with MIDI capability to switch between FRFR and nonFRFR on a patch by patch basis.

This did involve using a Switch Gizmo from RJM Music to facilitate the switching but it worked as designed.

I wanted to get some video and audio last night but once we got into it realized we really didn't have any patches setup to take proper advantage of all the very unique options available.

I'll be doing that over the next couple of days and then we'll get some recording done!

Second a vertical 212 version, I have to wonder what the comb filtering is like on the 412?

Mic have you thought of any other configurations thinking out of the box so to speak? The Midi switching is an awesome idea BTW but looking at it from a non-conventional perspective? Not diminishing what you have already done but rather expanding it.

A lot like what Phil Jones has done with bass amps and speakers ? small, compact yet really powerful. ​I played through the suitcase version at NAMM a few years back and was totally floored at how much power it had to carry the lows.

Hmmm first cab with midi switching capability ever!
Nice. :encouragement:

Thanks!

This... could be quite interesting.

Hope so! :)
I would love to see a vertical 2x12 version.

Well, with few exceptions, all my cabs ship with feet on the sides so that they can be used either vertically or horizontally! The 1x12 cab is an exception... the cab isn't square but it's close enough that feet on the side would not make a difference.

Second a vertical 212 version, I have to wonder what the comb filtering is like on the 412?

Mic have you thought of any other configurations thinking out of the box so to speak? The Midi switching is an awesome idea BTW but looking at it from a non-conventional perspective? Not diminishing what you have already done but rather expanding it.

A lot like what Phil Jones has done with bass amps and speakers ? small, compact yet really powerful. ​I played through the suitcase version at NAMM a few years back and was totally floored at how much power it had to carry the lows.

That there is some comb filtering going on is not in doubt but it was not really any different than the traditional 4x12 we had on hand. However, due to the more even dispersion of the 12CX one thing we did notice was much less beaming as you walked around the cab. Sure, it was a tad hotter directly in front but it was a lot smoother than the 1960a we were testing against.

As for thinking of other configurations... I am open to anything! What do you mean by non-conventional?

Looked at Phil Jones site... some really nice, and small stuff! Looks like a lot of tone in a small little package!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a 2x12 that has the slant for the top speaker not a straight cab. Like the matrix one that never came out. Do you think you might make one like that some day?

No longer an untested 'I think I can do it' scenario!

Last night we tested with great success a pair of 1x12 wedges with MIDI capability to switch between FRFR and nonFRFR on a patch by patch basis.

This did involve using a Switch Gizmo from RJM Music to facilitate the switching but it worked as designed.

I wanted to get some video and audio last night but once we got into it realized we really didn't have any patches setup to take proper advantage of all the very unique options available.

I'll be doing that over the next couple of days and then we'll get some recording done!

I need to clean the drool off of my keyboard. 8)

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a 2x12 that has the slant for the top speaker not a straight cab. Like the matrix one that never came out. Do you think you might make one like that some day?

I've thought often about doing a slant 2x12 and doing a slant 4x12 answered a lot of the questions I had about slant cabs in general as far as the build process! A pair of slant 2x12's would have a TON of flexibility. Stand them up together for a 4x12. Move them apart for a better stereo spread. Place them on the floor in front of you with the slants to the outside to provide wide coverage from the middle or place them flat and apart with the slants towards the middle for good coverage from the sides.... Options Options Options!

Send me an email at xitonecabs@gmail.com and we can talk more that way!

I need to clean the drool off of my keyboard. 8)

:):):)

That there is some comb filtering going on is not in doubt but it was not really any different than the traditional 4x12 we had on hand. However, due to the more even dispersion of the 12CX one thing we did notice was much less beaming as you walked around the cab. Sure, it was a tad hotter directly in front but it was a lot smoother than the 1960a we were testing against.

As for thinking of other configurations... I am open to anything! What do you mean by non-conventional?

Looked at Phil Jones site... some really nice, and small stuff! Looks like a lot of tone in a small little package!

Just thinking out loud here, what I mean with "non-Conventional" is something that is not a traditional guitar cab or typical monitor. The thing that seems to be on a lot of Axe users minds in general is compactness and lightweight. There are a lot of monitor and cab style type of offerings but they all have one thing in common and that's a square or wedge shape that is in the 12-14" and larger dimm in the 30-100 Lb range. I have yet to see anything that is smaller that can get the job done and still be up to the task of giging.

If there were something compact, light yet really powerful and accurate it could fill a growing niche. I know the Bass player guys had been screaming this for years and that's why I posted the Phil Johns site. If something could be put together like that for guitar guys it would really be cool!

Just thinking out loud here, what I mean with "non-Conventional" is something that is not a traditional guitar cab or typical monitor. The thing that seems to be on a lot of Axe users minds in general is compactness and lightweight. There are a lot of monitor and cab style type of offerings but they all have one thing in common and that's a square or wedge shape that is in the 12-14" and larger dimm in the 30-100 Lb range. I have yet to see anything that is smaller that can get the job done and still be up to the task of giging.

If there were something compact, light yet really powerful and accurate it could fill a growing niche. I know the Bass player guys had been screaming this for years and that's why I posted the Phil Johns site. If something could be put together like that for guitar guys it would really be cool!

I see what you are saying now. I'll have to give it some thought!

Hi All!

As promised, a little video demonstration for your viewing pleasure.

Well, maybe not a pleasure from a video perspective as it's pretty rough video-wise but the audio perspective should be adequate.

Just to state the obvious... FRFR mode has the tweeter and crossover in use and nonFRFR bypasses both so that you are hearing only the 12" driver.

Note that the iPad does not record in stereo so it's kinda hard to tell any difference between the second and third patches, if you can at all. There was a difference in the room though for sure.

In this clip we didn't mess with the 3db pads at all but they are setup on the Switch Gizmo.

It's also worth mentioning that we are using my Ultra with FW11 and factory IR's. Dave is playing though his LP.

Maybe most noticeable between FRFR and nonFRFR is the immediate-ness of the feel and the more organic tone. It's easy to understand why many guys prefer actual guitar cabs.

Also worth stating that programming the Switch Gizmo could not be easier. Just get it set up the way you want and press the Write button for a few seconds. When it's done it's magic, the Switch Gizmo will remember and relate it's settings relative to the patch you pressed the Write button on.

Want to make a change.. no issues, just repress the Write button.

Special Thanks to Ron at RJM Music Products for making an excellent little piece of gear!

Thanks all,

Mick
Thanks,

Mick

Pretty cool!

Are the more sizzley tones the FRFR and the others are in non-FRFR mode?

Pretty cool!

Are the more sizzley tones the FRFR and the others are in non-FRFR mode?

Basically there are 5 patches... the first is FRFR, second non-FRFR, third is mixed, fourth is FRFR and fifth is non-FRFR.

Hope this helps!

I guess the main thing is that the state of the cabs changes instantly when the patch changes. I didn't spend any time at all dialing in the tone, just went for the functionality.

One thing of note too is that I used left and right of output one. I could have also used just one side of each Output 1 and 2 and then used an FX Loop block off of the amp block to bypass the IR's completely. Lots of flexibility on tap if desired for sure!

That's really cool Mic, yet more possibilities with the Axe! The RJM stuff is really nice to work with, I had the same switcher for my old tube rig for channel switching little thing worked like a charm.

Holy Moly!! :shock
You have the same philosophy as Yngwie Malmsteen... less is not more ;)

Looks awesome, great features and flexibility

Back
Top Bottom