A/B pedal as footswitch

Vecordia

Hi everyone.
I had a quick (and probably stupid) question. I own a boss AB-2 two-way selector foot switch which i dont normally use, and I was wondering if it can be used as a footswitch via the pedal switches of the fc12? I am almost certain that this is not possible, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

It’s a latching switch, so path A is either on or off. I think the issue would be it does not reset itself with a preset change, you’d have to double tap to use it next time.

I went to momentary switches in my Mission expression pedals to reduce my clutter and have the aforementioned reset.

You can use a shorting plug (tip and sleeve shorted together) in one of the outputs to turn an A/B pedal into a regular on/off switch. If you put the shorting plug in the B output, then B would be the "on" state for the pedal and vice versa.

Momentary or latching switches can both be used. You just have to configure the switch type in the Axe III. Momentary switches in general are more flexible as they can be made to function as either a latching or momentary controller. Latching switches can only work as latching controllers.

Thanks guys for your replies.
@mr_fender, what you suggest is like an insert cable, but having both mono ends connected to the same (mono) side of the other end?

Looking at the schematic, it looks like the AB-2 uses shorting output jacks and also grounds the un-selected output to mute any signal there. You might be able to skip the shorting plug and just plug a mono TS cable into either the A or B output jack instead of the input jack and use it that way as well. If you plug into the A jack, B would be the on state.

Looking at the schematic, it looks like the AB-2 uses shorting output jacks and also grounds the un-selected output to mute any signal there. You might be able to skip the shorting plug and just plug a mono TS cable into either the A or B output jack instead of the input jack and use it that way as well. If you plug into the A jack, B would be the on state.
Nice! I’ll try that and let you know. Thanks so much.
Btw, what type of switch should I configure in the axe fx lll?

Just to report back my findings, I tried it and it does work, thanks.

Only issue is that it requires a jack to be plugged in the IN connection too (I can then use either the A or the B OUT connected to the FC). I guess that that jack (IN) acts as an on/off switch to the pedal (I suppose it is active as it uses batteries). For convenience, I could use a "dummy" jack connector plugged in there (like a jack to minijack adapter), but then I need to remember to unplug it every time to preserve battery live.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom