A, B, C, D knobs.... Why not?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Just curious to the limitations of what these can be programmed to do? Reason is for years I've mentioned how incredible it would be to be able to globally temporarily set these to say Bass, Treble, Level and Presence and then have an auto save function in that mode. This would be incredible for taking on fly at rehearsal. IMO this would be useful as most of us tweak at home and then fine tune at rehearsal.

Yes? No? Why not? Then after your fine tuning, go back to global and turn this function off. When these knobs came out with the Axe FX II, I was really surprised this functionality was not implemented from inception??

I personally agree. I was a bit stumped that there wasn't at least a 4 or 5 knob set horizontally just below the LCD display. A new "quick save" button might even be a better alternative to your suggestion, but either way works for me. I still sport an original DigiTech 2112 I bought new in '97 in my rack that has a configuration like this and it's quite intuitive. Options that we have such as the RAC12 are indeed nice, but rather expensive for some users. It wouldn't be too surprising if the reconfiguration is in consideration for some future model upgrade, surely.

Regards.

I personally agree. I was a bit stumped that there wasn't at least a 4 or 5 knob set horizontally just below the LCD display. A new "quick save" button might even be a better alternative to your suggestion, but either way works for me. I still sport an original DigiTech 2112 I bought new in '97 in my rack that has a configuration like this and it's quite intuitive. Options that we have such as the RAC12 are indeed nice, but rather expensive for some users. It wouldn't be too surprising if the reconfiguration is in consideration for some future model upgrade, surely.

Regards.

Yes the Axe Fx II is very intuitive.....but my suggestions stands as a MAJOR ease and time saver. Also making a "enter button twice" for a quick save would suffice en lieu of a dedicated button(maybe Axe Fx III?).

I feel like the ABCD should default to BMTP at all times, unless you're deep editing a specific effect or set of parameters via the front panel, and then their function could switch to how they work now.

It also seems like a gain control could be incorporated by allowing the user to select one of the ABCD to be, for example, "Input Gain" instead of presence, or whatever.

you can set these up on a per preset bases to do what you want to with them. if you want to control gain, attach it, if you want to adjust eq, attach it.

I was interested in something like this myself. However, I thought it would be really cool to have an external box with knobs on it. I wonder if it would be possible to connect a midi controller to the ask while using the MFC 101.

Maybe something like this:
This Knob-Packed MIDI Controller Is a Remixer's Delight | WIRED

Perhaps this is not the appropriate controller, but you get my idea. I don't really know much about anything as it pertains to midi. What do you think? Is it feasible?

If you are open to spending additional money there are always these: fxunits.com - RAC12

I just landed a RAC12, having instant access to the controls has made a huge difference to me live - the RAC12 was my only option - but it cost over €500 to my door! I'm sure that's the reality of producing small runs of equipment so I'm not having a go at the guys who do a great job making it... Fractal if it's possible, please address this for your users! Instant access to typical amp controls makes such a difference live....

This has been discussed for years - Perhaps it's not as easy to implement as you all seem to think it is. Just sayin............

Also, the price of the Rac12 mk2 is 362eur excluding taxes for the non european customers
For 12 knobsx16 pages fully parameterizables and 12x16 customizables switchs.
A great color screen and a big tuner color screen too.
All fully compatible with the mfc or a third party foot controller.

Last edited:
This has been discussed for years - Perhaps it's not as easy to implement as you all seem to think it is. Just sayin............

You're 100% correct. It might be a whole lot more difficult to do than is assumed here. However, it's worth noting that these knobs already do what people are asking for them to do. They are context-sensitive, and I think what people are asking for is that the default behavior/context be set to something that folks find useful, especially in a live setting where you don't want to dig to make simple bass-middle-treble adjustments.

Part of the usefulness of this forum is the ability to ask direct questions and get answers, as well as discuss ways to make something we all love even more useful.

Yeah being able to freely assign any modifier-capable controls to the ABCD knobs would be awesome.
I know that you can already assign the ABCD knobs as modifiers directly, but that's not really the same, since then you can't save the current state of the control afterwards.

I'd love to have a way to assign B,C and D (A controls the scene select, so that is used) to gain, input gain and master volume of currently active amp blocks (even on recall or layout screen) to allow quick volume adjustments if needed. Or BMT as has been mentioned.

You're 100% correct. It might be a whole lot more difficult to do than is assumed here. However, it's worth noting that these knobs already do what people are asking for them to do. They are context-sensitive, and I think what people are asking for is that the default behavior/context be set to something that folks find useful, especially in a live setting where you don't want to dig to make simple bass-middle-treble adjustments.

Part of the usefulness of this forum is the ability to ask direct questions and get answers, as well as discuss ways to make something we all love even more useful.

Yes, I understand-good point. That is the reason I mentioned it's been discussed a bunch.

I think if it was fairly straightforward it would have been done already. Because it was asked quite a bit IIRC.

Some workarounds for now could be:

At rehearsal:

Press layout on any preset-go to amp block, exit with recall button. So now on any other preset during rehearsal, hit layout, then edit and the knobs are assigned to basics. But we all know this I assume

Trust me, I would like them assignable and save abled........

you can set these up on a per preset bases to do what you want to with them. if you want to control gain, attach it, if you want to adjust eq, attach it.

So, why not have them default this way unless overridden? There are what? 300+ presets on the Axe? Even if they are "context sensitive" why not a "live mode" where they do what you want/expect?

I wouldn't use them live, because I don't like to make live adjustment, but at practice, I wish the "recall screen" behavior of these knobs was fully programmable. Switching scenes can be a nice thing to have sometimes, but I'd much rather have access to other stuff on that screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious to the limitations of what these can be programmed to do? Reason is for years I've mentioned how incredible it would be to be able to globally temporarily set these to say Bass, Treble, Level and Presence and then have an auto save function in that mode. This would be incredible for taking on fly at rehearsal. IMO this would be useful as most of us tweak at home and then fine tune at rehearsal.

Yes? No? Why not? Then after your fine tuning, go back to global and turn this function off. When these knobs came out with the Axe FX II, I was really surprised this functionality was not implemented from inception??

As Paranoid mentioned-It is, but on a preset basis only - so you would have to set them and save in each preset.

After further thinking, since this is "already doable per preset", perhaps just a global one (that you can change) is possible. Even if it's only one global setting at a time-that's better than nothing for now. Hmmmm?

So.........

Back
Top Bottom