8ma review

tweedster

I've had a pair of 8ma's for about a week now, and I'm lovin it. It replaces a pair of Tech 21's that will now go to my sons along with the Tonelab LE.

For my purposes, the 8ma fills the bill. I play for 50-150 people in a 5 piece band (drums, bass 2 guitars, keyboard). We play at about 105 dbA. Vocals go through a Bose L-1. I wanted to get a QSC 122i, but it was too big and too heavy. The 8ma sounds great, or better yet, the Axe-Fx sounds like a real amp to me for the first time. Relative to my Mackie 824s the 8ma's sound better to me. The weight and size are perfect for my needs, and I have more power than I'll ever use.

I'm very satisfied. Another +1 to Scott Peterson for purchasing the 8ma and reporting back to the forum.

I run in stereo, because a) it's fun in my studio, and b) I have a spare amp + cabinet for emergency needs at the gig, should a situation arise.

tweedster said:
I play for 50-150 people in a 5 piece band (drums, bass 2 guitars, keyboard). We play at about 105 dbA.
tweedster. . . thanks for the review! My band situation is a bit quieter (100 dbA), so your post is a good confirmation for me.

Terry.

Thx Treedster,

I ordered a pair of 8ma's on Monday, should arrive next Wed. MKeditor has a pair of QSCs that I listened to that sound great, but they are TOO LARGE and TOO HEAVY for me, an older gentleman. I was/am on the Fractal Atomic list, but that is always being pushed back, I may end up with them too after they finally arrive and all the hoopla chatter is positive - but they too are 40lbs, and more power than I may ever need. But I needed to get something now. I love stereo, and the 8ma's are 25lbs and should have plenty of power for most of my needs, and if I ever get to larger venues, I can just run line out of Axe Fx to FOH.

So I will post my thoughts next week or so after I have a shot at them. In my studio I have been using a pair of Mackie HR824's, so I am looking forward to comparing.

Thanks again!
-richard

Back
Top Bottom