8 string tones/tones for recording

adildo

Inspired
Hello.. Ive been a big fan of stephen carpenters guitar tone on the recordings for such a long time. and its taken me quite a while to get around to it but ive finally got my 8 string :) been trying to dial in some tones for my own recordings/bands, but ive been having trouble balancing the right amount of distortion so that i can hear the chords without it being too muddy.

i know that the koi no yokan pack was released a few firmwares ago and im not sure with the current updates and the ultra res cabs that it would still sound good on the current firmware. am currently using a rg 2228 for recording and may eventually swap the pick ups from 808 to 808x.

if anyone has any tips for dialing in heavy tones please let me know.

I saw the deftones live last year and noticed that sergio vega uses an axe fx for his tone too. ;)

Hello.. Ive been a big fan of stephen carpenters guitar tone on the recordings for such a long time. and its taken me quite a while to get around to it but ive finally got my 8 string :) been trying to dial in some tones for my own recordings/bands, but ive been having trouble balancing the right amount of distortion so that i can hear the chords without it being too muddy.

i know that the koi no yokan pack was released a few firmwares ago and im not sure with the current updates and the ultra res cabs that it would still sound good on the current firmware. am currently using a rg 2228 for recording and may eventually swap the pick ups from 808 to 808x.

if anyone has any tips for dialing in heavy tones please let me know.

I saw the deftones live last year and noticed that sergio vega uses an axe fx for his tone too. ;)

The deftones are my all time favorite band! I just love Stephan's style and think he has influenced me the most out of any other guitarist.
I play a sc608b 8 string. I found that the hardest thing for me was getting the guitar setup to sound good. I thought the 808's sounded like crap, so upgraded to the 808x. These were a bit better, but after much more research I figured out that I'm much more of a passive pickup guy. So I went with some bare knuckle ceramic nail bombs. They sound great! But the biggest challenge is the tuning and string tension. Took me a long time to find a string set that gave me the tension and the clarity that was needed for the lower register strings. I ended up with a custom set from kalium strings, .010" to .079" tuned bottom string to drop E.
As far as tones go, it's really up to you and what you like. The koi no yokan patches are pretty good, and I played them for a long time. Then I just started making my own patches that suited me better. My favorite amps are of coarse the Brit pre, put a good t75 IR after the amp and maybe a drive in front and you have a pretty good Around the fur tone. Other than that I like the herbie ch 3, the uber- which hard to dial in but if you go into the tone section of the amp block and raise the low cut to around 200hz it makes it much more easier to dial in.
A lot of 8 stringers on here really like to cut the low end before the amp. I'm not a huge fan of doing this, unless it's needed. I find that it makes the tone to dull and 2 dimensional sounding. I like having that low end come through.
Hope this helps.

thanks for the help!. there are certain presets that have 2 amps in the koi no yokan and i read that u need to adjust the EQ equally for both amps (treble, bass, bright etc)
if u want to make adjustments to the tone. would post EQ or EQ before the amp have the same effect as doing this?

thanks for the help!. there are certain presets that have 2 amps in the koi no yokan and i read that u need to adjust the EQ equally for both amps (treble, bass, bright etc)
if u want to make adjustments to the tone. would post EQ or EQ before the amp have the same effect as doing this?[/

Putting a EQ block after the amp would do this. EQ before the amp will change the signal going into the virtual preamp, causing the distortion/amp to react differently. This is why drive pedals are typically used. Not so much for the distortion within them, but boosting the level and EQ'ing before the amp to achieve a desired tone, and or feel.
There should already be a PEQ block on every preset in KNY. I would just start dialing in there if needed.

Ok, well i take some of that back. I just reloaded the presets and yes the cabs are garbage, but I used the Own Hamer RL DZL cabs (paid cab pack from Own Hammer) and they actually sound just fine...

Back
Top Bottom