8 string guitar + AXE FX 2 = too much bass? what do u guys do?

Vertigo 13

8 string guitar + AXE FX 2 = too much bass?

Well I've got everything at noon/default settings (PRES at 5.00) and there is a lot of bass going on. Is this kinda normal for the 8-stringer in relation to the AXE 2?
Guitar is Ibanez m80m - meshuggah signature.

Last edited:
Some suggestions... Does the Cut switch in the Amp Block make any difference? Also, depending on the amp model, bass at 5.0 may be too much. You can also try playing with the Amp Block's GEQ to tame the bottom end.

I can tame the bass and low mids easily enough through many ways of coarse. I just find it unusual that at default settings things are so...well muddy for me. I know it's all easily remedied and I know of plenty of ways as a fix...I think it's just bugging me that things at default don't work for maybe the guitar I'm using. Maybe something I'm just gonna have to accept. I think my question is that if any other 8-stringers out there have the same issue when defaulting the AMP & CAB block (PRES at 5.00) ??

I have a 7 string, so I can't fully answer your last question, but I would think that it's pretty common for an 8 string to make most real or non real amps sound muddy until you adjust them.

I have a 7 string, so I can't fully answer your last question, but I would think that it's pretty common for an 8 string to make most real or non real amps sound muddy until you adjust them.

Well it makes sense :/ I am stepping in bass territory after all lol. Noted.

Kind of wish there was an extended range toggle option in the AXE FX - switch from 6 to 7 to 8 etc... like some amps that are now out there.

I think my question is that if any other 8-stringers out there have the same issue when defaulting the AMP & CAB block (PRES at 5.00) ??
Depends on what AMP and CAB-block. But some combinations even make standard tuned 6-stringers muddy @ default. IMO, a lot of amp-models (and even real ones) are not supposed to be used @ default/noon.

So you found that the signature 8-string guitar from a band that is so low end heavy that they have recorded albums and performed live without the need for a bass player to be bassy?

Hmm, go figure? ;)

Pre EQ it! Low shelf + CUT on the amp. And also in post EQ to diminish low freq resonance can be usefull.

Hmm. found out a lot of it was the headphones. Just got to borrow a bunch of other headphones from a friend and yeah, not to shabby now. Just ignore me....thx anyway.

So you found that the signature 8-string guitar from a band that is so low end heavy that they have recorded albums and performed live without the need for a bass player to be bassy?

Hmm, go figure? ;)

Meshuggah never recorded without a bass player nor do they play live without one. In fact, most of their low end is still the bass.
All of their bass players have had huge tones whereas the guitars have been much more midfocused in comparison.

If you have a naturally bassy/"woofy" guitar, make a preset of shunts and insert an EQ. Turn up the volume to hear it better and dial out the mushy-ness. You won't then spend hours tweaking an amp or IR shouting out "Mother f*****g piece of s**t"!, every 5 mins minutes.

We all know them feels.

I can tame the bass and low mids easily enough through many ways of coarse. I just find it unusual that at default settings things are so...well muddy for me. I know it's all easily remedied and I know of plenty of ways as a fix...I think it's just bugging me that things at default don't work for maybe the guitar I'm using. Maybe something I'm just gonna have to accept. I think my question is that if any other 8-stringers out there have the same issue when defaulting the AMP & CAB block (PRES at 5.00) ??

I have a carvin dc800 and the stock pickups had that exact problem (possibly because they were active) I switched them out for the BKP painkillers and I actually have to turn down some of the presence and can actually add bass without it flubbing out to shit. Would definitely recommend those pickups for anything mid to high gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a carvin dc800 and the stock pickups had that exact problem (possibly because they were active) I switched them out for the BKP painkillers and I actually have to turn down some of the presence and can actually add bass without it flubbing out to shit. Would definitely recommend those pickups for anything mid to high gain.

There is no correlation between muddiness and active-/passiveness of the pickups. In fact, EMG-pickups, which are active, are probably amongst the tightest sounding pickups I've ever played (doesn't mean they always sound nice).

i usually have my bass down around 3 or so, low cut on depending on the amp. also depends on the IR too though. i'm playing an ibanez rg8 with seymour duncan nazgul/sentient

There is no correlation between muddiness and active-/passiveness of the pickups. In fact, EMG-pickups, which are active, are probably amongst the tightest sounding pickups I've ever played (doesn't mean they always sound nice).

I'm not saying all active pickups are muddy. The blackout 7s in my ibby sound fantastic. More or less the carvin A80s in particular are pretty much shit (very, dark with too much output) for the tone I wanted.

I'm not saying all active pickups are muddy. The blackout 7s in my ibby sound fantastic. More or less the carvin A80s in particular are pretty much shit (very, dark with too much output) for the tone I wanted.
OK, sorry if I came on a little strong. I also have to add that pickups might perform very differently if you put them in another guitar.

Back
Top Bottom