8.02 Ultra firmware grief

Jim

I have had my ultra for over 2 years and every time an update firmware came out I managed to get it done. But not this time I have been trying since yesterday and to no avale. I have a pc/xp latest driver update for my 2+2 midi sport. Tried lots of different buffer delay times, even loaded the newest Bome send sx but still no succes, I currently have 7.18. I can see that the midi data is lighting up my midi out l.e.d but the axe just sits ther with "awaiting file" I have tried to do this probobly 50 times but no go. By the way I was able to update the three new banks with this set up so I would think that the data is able to get thru. I contacted support for this but haven't gotten a responce so far. Any helpfull ideas?
Thanks, Jim

restart your software (I'm sure you already have)
restart your computer
restart the Axe-Fx
i'm of the opinion at the moment that when people have multiple attempts at uploading the firmware and it fails, that it really only messed up the first time and the subsequent times are a result of the failed attempt being stuck in a buffer somewhere -- like one car breaking down on the freeway messing things up for all the others following it

since the Axe is just sitting there "awaiting file" though... that means nothing ever reached it. double-check the Sysex ID on the Axe-Fx (I/O menu, MIDI page). It should be set to 125. Double-check the cables (try different ones). Re-download the firmware. Make sure you have the Ultra firmware and not the Standard. Double-check the ports your cables are connected to. not sure what else to suggest, but let us know if you check all that (really, check all of that) and it still isn't working.

i think it's just a big sign of there needing to be a usb port on this thing... hell a $100 pod has one... was one of the things that shocked me it didnt have when i first bought it.

dpeterson said:
i think it's just a big sign of there needing to be a usb port on this thing... hell a $100 pod has one... was one of the things that shocked me it didnt have when i first bought it.

I don't know that USB would solve all problems. Most likely it would just create different ones. I've never owned a piece of gear that interfaced with a computer that didn't have to be tweaked for optimal performance/reliability.

dpeterson said:
i think it's just a big sign of there needing to be a usb port on this thing...
FWIW I've updated since 4.08 with 2 failures that just required a re-download of the firmware. This was using a 12 year old MIDI device on an 8 year old computer. So while USB might be more of a convenience I can't really see it being more reliable.

Ditto-I have a midisport 2x2 and never have had a problem updating firmware, ok once but I just rebooted and it went fine.. I have reinstalled the drivers 2x since I have had it.The USb connection on my soon to be Boss GT-10 foot controller has USB and it has it's share of problems.
I have been using midi for a long long time (about 25 years) and midi is finicky, simple as that.

sometimes you have to increase the timings in the midi send program .. time betweeen patches... if your computer is sending too fast it may not work

I had problems updating my firmware from day 1.... always took 2 -5 tries. But since version 7 I havent had a single problem....updates every time.

I have figured out that once having a setup that works...... not removing the midi cables from the interface and just removing them from the axe when i take it out works for me. So i basically have 2 short midi cables that are just for connecting to my pc and they dont go anywhere..... I had to try a couple of cables to find a combination that worked for me every time..... its weird but it works now.... thankfully.

Yup, I'm too tired of trying and just gave up, I'm going to just keep using it in 7.16. Maybe I'll try again one day or pay the $35.00 plus shipping to send it back to Fractal for them to do it. Thanks for all who tryed to help.
Regards, Jim.

Jim,
You'll pay more than the price of the Ultra if you have to ship it back everytime there's new firmware! :)

Forgive me if this is too obvious, but have you tried another MIDI cable?

Not sure if it helps, but for a few firmware upgrades I had to slow down the midi transmission. When I went to 7.18, I had to speed it back up again.

HailHalford said:
Jim,
You'll pay more than the price of the Ultra if you have to ship it back everytime there's new firmware! :)

Forgive me if this is too obvious, but have you tried another MIDI cable?
Well I only have one, and it works fine on the midimate.

solo-act said:
Not sure if it helps, but for a few firmware upgrades I had to slow down the midi transmission. When I went to 7.18, I had to speed it back up again.
Yes, I've been all over the place with delay speeds up and down big and small.

Latest driver installed? Useless BS programs all terminated? (Winamp agent, Adobe preloader, Quicktime monitor, Office preloader, miscellaneous system tray garbage, etc etc etc)

quonsar said:
Latest driver installed? Useless BS programs all terminated? (Winamp agent, Adobe preloader, Quicktime monitor, Office preloader, miscellaneous system tray garbage, etc etc etc)
Yes the latest driver was installed, But perhaps I could clean up some garbage, certainly have nothing to loose. Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow I'm heading to work now.

Back
Top Bottom