$70 short of getting the Axe II.....

Hi all, total nube here to the forum, just joined today. I'm in a ridiculous situation, and an embarrassing one (considering I make a six figure salary). I recently went through a divorce so my credit rating went from crazy awesome to crap in a matter of months. I'm trying to purchase an Axe FX II; I'm currently living in Ottawa, Canada. When I purchase from the web site the total with taxes & delivery comes to $2570....but I only have $2500 limit on my ONLY credit card. The financial industry doesn't care HOW much money you make or have in the bank; your credit rating is your credit rating unfortunately. It's rare that I am forced to buy something on my credit card and not pay cash, but I live in a small city and there are NO Axe FX's for sale at all...not even first gen! So, without having to use my best friend's Visa, I'm trying to figure out alternatives. Any ideas? I'm going to see if maybe I can ship it across the border (one hour drive to USA from my house) and maybe save a few hundred that way. Cheers all !

One more question....is the Axe II worth the $1000 extra? I can get a used Axe Ultra on Ebay for 1.5K.

Cheers!

IMO The 2 is definitely worth it. I use mine for live so it works better for me than the ultra did. I sold my ultra to fund the 2. Also, lets just say i sold my dual rec head, mesa heartbreaker combo, vox ac30, blues junior, peavey classic 50, power engine, tonelab, misc pedals and never looked back. Yes it's THAT good! :)

The Axe II is absolutely worth the difference to me. I could go over all the functional differences that matter (USB interface being the biggest, ethernet, edit knobs etc), but the biggest differences are sound and feel. The Ultra is a great box, but the II is at a whole other level in terms of sound and feel. The II also will be getting more improvements while the Ultra is fixed in time.

If you can figure out how to do it, get a II. Maybe you could email Fractal and they'd be willing to help figure a way to do it with your limitations. Don't know.

The suggestion of a used II is a good one also. They're really well made devices. Even if it needs to be serviced ever, FAS has a reputation for being quite good and reasonable with their servicing policy out of warranty.

Call Fractal. Maybe they can break it up into two charges, then you could put a small amount on a friend's card if you need to?

Axe II, no question. The amp models are much more refined, plus you get USB, re-amping out of box and continued firmware upgrades. Plus, you get an Ethernet port which does power the MFC if you choose to go that route.

Definitely call or email Fractal sales. I'm sure they'd work with you on getting you an AxeFX 2.

Howdy Neighbour!

Pay your card down by 70$ (so your balance is -70$) and your limit will go up to 2570$ - good to go!

Cheers

Howdy Neighbour!

Pay your card down by 70$ (so your balance is -70$) and your limit will go up to 2570$ - good to go!

Cheers

My friend...you are a genius. Why didn't I think of that ?!?!?!?!? I just figured out another way if that doesn't work. I can buy a gift certificate from Fractal and send it to myself. Then pay off the credit card, then use the certificate. But your idea sounds way better. Going to put my credit card in a negative balance now....thanks !!!!! Will post again once I have my Axe FX !!!!!

====UPDATE===: Just phoned my credit card company and was told that having a negative balance won't help...he said the credit limit is the credit limit unless we are talking a dollar or two. So, I sent the Sales group at Fractal describing my situation and I'm waiting to hear back. I suspect my best option will be the gift certificate route.

Last edited:
My friend...you are a genius. Why didn't I think of that ?!?!?!?!? I just figured out another way if that doesn't work. I can buy a gift certificate from Fractal and send it to myself. Then pay off the credit card, then use the certificate. But your idea sounds way better. Going to put my credit card in a negative balance now....thanks !!!!! Will post again once I have my Axe FX !!!!!

====UPDATE===: Just phoned my credit card company and was told that having a negative balance won't help...he said the credit limit is the credit limit unless we are talking a dollar or two. So, I sent the Sales group at Fractal describing my situation and I'm waiting to hear back. I suspect my best option will be the gift certificate route.

What if you send Fractal a certified cheque for $70, then asked them to reduce the price on the invoice?

What if you send Fractal a certified cheque for $70, then asked them to reduce the price on the invoice?

Thanks for the ideas. I just purchased a $500 gift certificate to myself. When my last credit card payment clears, I'll just go to the web site, click "purchase" then apply the $500 gift certificate. DONE! I'm too impatient for the Sales group at Fractal to get back to me. Gotta have that Axe FX II yesterday !!!!!

2 man. All the way. It excels in everything. The first gen of Axes rule as well but they don't hold a candle to the 2.

Wait a minute, why is your credit taking a hit for divorce? Bills not being payed?

Very long and complex story....not even something I want to post on a forum. Suffice to say that I almost went bankrupt but because of the nature of my job I was able to avoid bankruptcy and do what's called a "consumer proposal". I had to get rid of all my credit cards & lines of credit and start from scratch. CapitalOne Mastercard gave me a card within a year of all this...and has since increased my limit from $1000 to $2500. I keep a zero balance now all the time, and I know soon they will give me another increase. It's humiliating to go through something like this...on the plus side, I buy everything cash and will be purchasing a new house in a couple years. It's all good! :lol

Sorry for the red herring - I thought that would work - glad you got it sorted in the end.

Perhaps you should wait until you can actually afford it, before ya max out the only credit card ya have with a positive rating.....

I'm in Ottawa too. I bought mine for $1950 including shipping from a guy in Vancouver. Of course you cant pay someone by Visa so you'll need to make a cash advance. I know u may not b looking 4 personal advice but.... under your circumstances u may want to save your money wait for a while. Or here's an ingenious idea, find $70 and put it on your visa card, then purchase from fractal.

Back
Top Bottom