7 pin to 5 pin midi cable

Dr Git

Inspired
Ok, so i'm trying to be able to use my MFC-101 and Axe edit at the same time with my axe fx standard, so i don't have to constantly unplug a cable. So i hear i can buy a midisport 2x2. Ok check. Now looking at the diagram, it looks like i need 3 midi 5 pin wires and 1 5 to 7 pin wire for the MFC101. Is that correct cause the Midisport is only 5 pins? Currently i have my MFC hooked up already with a 7 pin midi cable. Is their an adaptor or do i need to buy this special cable? Seems all the stores i check don't have it. Also do i need actually 2 7 to 5 pin cables as the MFC101 is 7 pin and i'll be using the in/out on it..here's the diagram:
midisportmerge2.png

Last edited:
You either need:

A. four 5-pin cables with power supply connected to the MFC, or

B. three 5-pin and one 5-to-7-pin cable, which would allow connecting the power supply near the Midisport.

Anything else would require modifying cables or making adapters. For example, MIDI out and power could be used from the Axe-FX MIDI in port, but you'd have to make connections for those pins around the Midisport for that data/power to get to the MFC.

ok, its here and is working like crap. Takes literally 25 seconds to switch presets via axe manage. I hooked it up just as you see in the above pic using 4 5 pin midi cables. Not sure if my problem could be driver related as MAudio is awful. First time i installed the drivers they said for fast track ultra instead of midisport 2x2. Can these share drivers? This so far i by far the slowest setup i've tried. Last time i had a Standard i used a Fast Track Pro and although i had to switch cables for when i wanted to use the MFC101 - it still was almost instantaneous with Axe Manage. I don't even know where to start to look for the errors. Does axe edit set itself up by itself nowadays? I do know when i do the loop test it fails and says to check I/O midi

well, called Music 123 and ordered a new midisport. If a new unit doesn't fix my problem then.....i'm getting communication as its letting me shift around presets in axe edit, and the front switch works on the midisport - as when depressed it is able to communicate with my computer and when it is in the out position, then it works with my MFC101. Main problem is everything is in slow motion. Takes forever to load a preset from one preset area to another. Should take about 2 seconds from all the other times i had a Axe Fx. This one is literally taking 15 seconds, at least...maybe its just the midisport?

well i have my setup (Axe Standard ver 11) just the way it is in the picture above. So far when i switch presets using the mfc-101 i get like a full second before it shifts to preset. I also thought there would be a setting on the midisport where both footcontroller and computer access to axe edit could work together like my axe II does. I'm getting either one. Not sure if the drivers are messed up or what else it could be. I have 2 midisports here and they do the same. If someone used the midisport with a standard/ultra please help out...so, in short the way i have it working, either the computer end or the floorboard end work independently. Is this the only way a midisport works. Theres no way to make them work together? thanks pete

Last edited:
ok, so i still don't have my midisport and computer/axe fx communicating properly. Anyone here have a midisport 2x2 anniversary and can help. Please email me @drgit2000@yahoo.com or communcate here. My loopback test fails and it says not connected. I also can't get both to work together like my axe II used to. I'm using 2 sets of wires as listed above. PLease help. I think my problem lies in the audio/midi settings part of axe edit.

Last edited:
Did you configure the MERGE page in Axe-Edit's MIDI settings? Tell it which ports the MFC is connected to and enable the two "echo" options, selecting a port for each of those as well. There should only be one Midisport port listed for each field on this page if you've already chosen an in/out at the MIDI page, so there's not much that can go wrong during this process--just don't leave anything set to "none" at the MERGE page. For everything to work together the Midisport switch should be in. Switch out would only be for using the MFC when not using Axe-Edit.

Loopback test will fail when connections are made for normal Axe-Edit operation. It only passes if you put a cable or similar path for data from interface MIDI out directly to interface MIDI interface.

Ok, as gar as the settings i have midi input as port B and midi output as port A and i have the echo enabled. Based on the above schematic is exactly how i have the wires set up. When i got to axe edit the preset up button sometimes doesn't work. Also my actual axe fx and axe edit windows don't always jive. May have the preset number correct but won't read the proper name of the preset.

I am getting communication but i have to double click 2x (2x) to get it to switch to go anywhere. i just pressed the advance buttion on axe edit to advance a preset. Hit it once up, and it took about 6 seconds to advance. This just don't seem right as my previous fast track pro did it almost instantly.

Last edited:
Adjusting buffer size & delay at the MIDI tab might help something. It wouldn't hurt to try doubling & halving each value, testing the response after any change.

This might be related to the amount of data the MFC sends at preset change, which by default is the same program change on all 16 channels. So if you disabled the PCs for the other 15 channels on a certain preset, you could then check if that one gets recalled more quickly/consistently.

Back
Top Bottom