'64 Super-Reverb amp

Radley

Experienced
'64 Super-Reverb - There has been a lot of talk about the magic of this particular Fender amp, and I certainly agree. Cliff is correct however in stating that most of the amp's magic is in the Cab, not the amp - I say this because I own this amp and have run it into many various Fender Cabs for comparison. The amp sounds very much like the other lower-power Fenders except for the slightly different tone stack (.022 as opposed to .047 for the middle cap), and it does not sound as harsh on the highs as a Twin Reverb to my ears. Perhaps the focus should be on capturing a very accurate IR of it's 4x10 rectangle Cab...

IR`s is the most important part IMO. FW 7.01 just got bumped to FW8, and they talked about new IR stuff. Who knows what`s in the next FW package... Exciting it is...

'64 Super-Reverb - There has been a lot of talk about the magic of this particular Fender amp, and I certainly agree. Cliff is correct however in stating that most of the amp's magic is in the Cab, not the amp - I say this because I own this amp and have run it into many various Fender Cabs for comparison. The amp sounds very much like the other lower-power Fenders except for the slightly different tone stack (.022 as opposed to .047 for the middle cap), and it does not sound as harsh on the highs as a Twin Reverb to my ears. Perhaps the focus should be on capturing a very accurate IR of it's 4x10 rectangle Cab...

IR's are IMO the most important part of the equation. Much of it is what YOU hear when listening to an amp. One person's 'nasal' is another person's 'midrange love'. Add 'flubby vs forgiving', 'ear piercing vs cutting', and 'bassy vs thump'. Just look at the sheer amount of V30 IR's out there that sound so radically different. There are so many affordable IR options out there that it really depends on one's level of commitment to finding *that* IR that works for that amp, that guitar, and your playing style.

That being said, I played one through a Nash Telecaster, and it's still a tone I hear in my head...

R

Another difference is going to be Output transformer. Coupled with the 4 speaker cab, it can dramatically change the tone. A buddy of mine back in the early eighties has a blackface SR and a blackface Bandmaster. Schematics where close but each had a very different vibe and response.

The '64 Super Reverb actually has a 2-ohm OT driving four 8-ohm 10" speakers wired in parallel = 2 ohms.

Back
Top Bottom