FS $599USD LN Powercab 112 PLUS FRFRPowered Guitar Cab with EZ swap speaker (+ modeller problem solver)

Chris Hurley

Power User
Powercab is a very unique product and some people are confused by what it is. Here's my best effort at explaining it:

So you have a modeller and you need to amplify it so you can hear it. Here are the main choices:
  • Use a PA cabinet to run full range with cabinet sims. You'll get the sound of a mic'd up guitar amp that is in another room somewhere.
  • Use a guitar cabinet. You'll get the sound of that single guitar cabinet but you'll have to have a solution to get your sound to the PA.

Each way has its pros and cons. Some guitarists love running full range, and some prefer the sound of a real guitar cabinet.

Now there is a third way that bridges the gap and provides a great guitar player experience without sacrificing the flexibility of your modeller.

As a baseline, think of Powercab as a great sounding ported 1x12 combo with a flat poweramp and a speaker that sounds like a vintage 30 or maybe a Creamback in it. It sounds like an amp in the room because thats what it is.
Now imagine of how cool it would be to be able to easily change out the speaker for different kinds of drivers. Powercab can swap out its virtual Vintage 30 for a Greenback, Creamback, P12Q, Swamp Thang, or Blue Bell, all without getting out a screwdriver.

We're still just talking about a 1x12 combo amp in the room that can easily swap out the speaker.

What about micing the cab? You can do that, just like you always did- with a mic. Powercab Plus also has an output that does that micing for you so that you don't have to fuss with the mic. The PA gets the sound of a great mic'd up combo with your speaker while you get the sound of the amp itself.

Once you have your head around the core concept (Powercab is a ported 1x12 combo amp with a neutral poweramp and a speaker you can change) then consider the added features that solve other problems: (Some features are unique to the Powercab Plus version that I am selling)

• Can be used with preamp or "amp-in-a-box" pedals since Powercab acts like a powered guitar cabinet. Even modellers that have lousy cabinet simulation can take on a new life by disabling their simulation and using the Powercab.
  • Has a second input that is full range so you can use it for music playback in addition to guitar sounds. (Powercab Plus Only)
  • Can also run full range if you want to use speaker impulses from your modeller
  • Can house speaker impulses INTERNALLY so that you can save DSP on your modeller or add speaker impulses to a modeller that doesn't have that. (Powercab Plus Only)
  • Can act as a great backup with a couple of pedals if your modeller goes down.
  • Run digital from your modeller into the PowerCab to eliminate a da->ad conversion

This is a very unusual product, so it takes a little bit to get your head around it. Start first with thinking about it as a great sounding 1x12 combo with a neutral power amp. At its core, that's what it is. The other features are gravy to solve other problems we tend to have.

I'm selling mine because I am really enjoying the sound of my SpaceStation V3 for pseudo-stereo stuff and my gear closet is getting full again.

I'd like to get $599 USD paypal plus shipping in the continental USA only.

(Selling from GA/SC USA)

Attachments

• 2018-09-22 17.22.14.jpg
    2018-09-22 17.22.14.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2018-09-22 17.22.19.jpg
    2018-09-22 17.22.19.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 2018-09-22 17.22.27.jpg
    2018-09-22 17.22.27.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 2018-09-22 17.22.35.jpg
    2018-09-22 17.22.35.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 2018-09-22 17.22.39.jpg
    2018-09-22 17.22.39.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I was playing this cabinet last night with a tube preamp and it sounded wonderful- demonstrates how handy it is to have the IR capability in your FRFR! Makes me want to keep it but I'm over gear budget so this would be good for me to sell.

Back
Top Bottom