5153 Impressions

how can you even see what the red channel seetings are? all I see is a white washout???
The photo for the second channel has the first three third channel settings visible.

I presume that the marks are where they are usually set?

(Yes, I have waaay too much time on my hands.)

EVH_5150_III_settings.jpg

what are you guys using for a cab with the red channel?

Right now, Manny's EVH 5150 III SM57 cone with the factory 2x12 Gold 30 Far-Field, though I'm not done experimenting. See his thread in the IR section.

I'm using the factory PVH6160 cab with the factory 2x12 G65 Far-Field... no mics.

DRIVE - 2.65
BASS - 6.83
MID - 4.32
TREB - 5
PRES - 3.37
DEPTH - 3.5
MASTER - 4.5

I'm hitting the front with the new Eternal Love OD set as a clean boost. For what I play, this sounds fantastic.

I'll have to try that I'm using the Eternal Love drice as well , seems to be a really "clean boost" may turn into "go -to" drive
I've been using the SLM H75, it sounds good but I want to try some differnt cominations.
I have the 5150III irs , wasn't crazy about them maybe I need to blend them with something else?

I'm using the factory PVH6160 cab with the factory 2x12 G65 Far-Field... no mics.

DRIVE - 2.65
BASS - 6.83
MID - 4.32
TREB - 5
PRES - 3.37
DEPTH - 3.5
MASTER - 4.5

I'm hitting the front with the new Eternal Love OD set as a clean boost. For what I play, this sounds fantastic.

Im in love with RED too... but havent riffed any VH with it... found a nice setting and its now blasting dirty, angry Billy Gibbons tones around the apartment.

Have mercy... waiting for the bus...

This is so good I totally forgot about the tonematch stuff

I've built some nice presets with all three channels. Although I'm digging all of them, I have to say I think the green one is my favorite for now. I have the boost and saturation on, and I hit it with the Etnernal Love pedal with the gain down and the volume up to tighten it up some. It just has a little more smoothness in the highs than either of the other channels this way. I have a feeling if I bounce back to my Red preset and tweak some more I might be able to get something even better, but I'll have to revisit that later when I can turn up a bit. (Not using anything to boost the other two channels, so I may lower the gain and try the Eternal Love there as well.)

I also used the Green on cleanish preset and have it set so that the Y amp is almost totally clean with just a touch of hair and the X amp has a bit more dirt and it works well for that application as well. Seems to be a much more versatile amp than I expected. If I didn't already have the Axe-FX I think I'd be looking seriously at the 5150 III for an amp. (But I'd hate to have to move it.)

Last edited:
I played around a lot yesterday with the 5150 III and Brit Brown as well as tone-matching and trying various stock and proprietary cabs. I was trying to nail the tone on "Beautiful Girls" (while also struggling to learn it). I plan to post my best results later (when I'm home), but I actually thought the Blue got me the closest, using a tone match block. Second best, IIRC, was with the same amp and an Ownhammer M75 SM57 1 (although the V31 SM57 also sounded pretty good).

Why, in that diagram above, do the "recommended settings" differ from Eddie's, I wonder?

My impression is that the 5153 is gonna take over some spots in my first 10 presets :) I am really liking what I'm getting out of all 3 channels.

I was just messing around with the Red channel & my wife sticks her head into the man cave & says, "Is that 'I Don't Need No Doctor?'" (the old Humble Pie song) I don't even know that song. :lol

Last edited:
I'm still stuck on the Red. Dropped it in place of my plexi and turned the ts808 off. All default settings.
Me likey!!!

Back
Top Bottom